#1 09-12-2010 11:38 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

MC Week 15 - Swing an Object

What to do: Animate a character swinging a prop. Some examples might include: A character slamming a sledgehammer onto a nail (or one of those carnival games), swinging an axe into a plank of wood, a sword swing, a golf swing, etc. Interpret it how you want.
Time: 24 hours.
Hint: Pick an interesting shot and really try to show the weight and force of the swing.
Note: Half the point of this exercise is to practice parenting the character to the prop or vice versa. If you are not sure how to do this, check around for some tutorials.

#2 09-16-2010 11:13 pm

MagicE
Celebrity
Karmojo: 61

Re: MC Week 15 - Swing an Object

I've animated similar shots before but for some reason this one gave me a lot of trouble. Don't remember how long it took me to get it to this point.

Direct Link

#3 09-19-2010 9:48 pm

comicsserg
Celebrity
Productive!

here is my try, (it still can be polished)

Direct Link

Serg Bel.

#4 09-22-2010 3:22 pm

Polygonjunkd
Participator
Karmojo: 8

Hey MagicE!

I like your first pose the most, but maybe you could exagerate it even more by shifting his weight more to the screen
right and probably rotate his hips more.

So this is my first post, but probably i can help you a little with your shot! Right now it's looking a bit stiff
to me in general. Also i think that the weight of the character is missing, especially in the end when he comes up
again. I would suggest that you (if you would like to) add a little settling here so that the shot comes to a nice
ending.
So first things first, lets go frame by frame smile
6-26: Have a closer look at your hiparc. You see? There's no arc at all, its more a straight line from A to B and then to
C. Try to smooth it out a little more. And also i would suggest that you could add a little anticipation before
the hip is moving. Also watch your spinemovement. Actually there's no movement in the spine itself. Fore sure it moves
with the hip, but think about a little overlap here. Your hip leads, and the head finally drags a little bit behind.
Same thing with the screenleft hand/baseball bat, Think of the weight of the baseball bat. I think it would look
a little smoother if the hand leads the movement and the tip of the baseball bat would stay in place a little longer.
27-36: Your hip isn't rotating here, maybe try to rotate the screenleftside up a little (your weight is sitting here!)
53:  Your spine is completely straight, i would bend it a little bit more to the back. And also your hip hasn't
rotated here (because of the leglifting it shoould move a little)
50-55: Have a look at your right knee. It changes the direction of its movement at f53 out of a sudden, i think you
should ease in and ease out a little more smile Also try to create a nice little arc here smile In fact, i am not really sure
if it makes sense to lift the leg that much. Have a look at some references on youtube maybe.
54-55: Here a big pop occurs to the whole body.
55-65: Remember that every motion, especially with something like this, starts in the hip! Try to rotate your hip
first, then the spine, and then the shoulders are dragging behind. Finally your arms with the bat start to move.

So that's it so far, i hope it helps a little bit smile 
Ah just found this one on youtube, check it out:

Direct Link

Hi sergok!
First of all, if you post your work add a little framecounter to your animation right? smile It's much easier to give
you some good feedback then smile
So beccause of this i only can make some suggestions for your shot smile Actually the axe isn't feeling that heavy for me.
I mean, in the beginning it looks okay, but i would add maybe one or two more attempts to lift that huge axe up in the
air. Also i would bend his spine more to exxagerate his afford for pulling on that axe. When the axe is coming to his
back i would suggest you could add one more step backwards and also try to move the axe a little more here. Right now
it freezes a little in that position (the character is going upwards with his whole body, but the axe isn't moving).
One more thing i noticed is that you doesn't have a good eye ground contact. Try to make contact with the eyes at the
desired spot where the axe should hit the ground. Also right before the axe hits the ground your arms start to bend.
It would be much more powerful if you leave them straight i think. Right at the beginning of the swing your spacing is
a little bit huge and right after it it is pretty small and then big again.
That little jump is a little late i think. I would let him jumpup a little earlier so that the axe has to travel a little
onger (hopefully you get what i mean smile )
Finally when the character comes up again, think about overlapping action, first the hips then your spine and then the head
drags behind a little smile
That's what i spotted right now, hopefully it helps you a little.

Cheers!

#5 09-22-2010 4:23 pm

MagicE
Celebrity

Hey Polygonjunkd, thanks for the crit, it was extremely in depth! Maybe later this week I'll have some time to go back and put in those changes you brought up. I know this is a 24 hr challenge but I'll prob post again anyway, hate to let all your insight go to waste!

#6 09-23-2010 7:59 am

comicsserg
Celebrity
Productive!

@Polygonjunkd
Great input man big_smile i will make the adjustments wink
About framecount wink I totally forgot to put it wink

Serg Bel.

#7 09-24-2010 7:01 am

seymour.simone
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 59

Hi everyone,

Ok so here is my first attempt at these mini-challenges. This is a very rough pass and with no real planning about 4 hours of work:

Direct Link

Board footer