#1 06-30-2007 7:06 am

ShizooEE
Participator
Karmojo: 8

Work IN Progress. ShizooEE

Hey guys. I'm a new guy here and here's my first blocking. Tell me what ya guys think so I can improve on it some mores. Thanks and see ya.

Direct Link

#2 06-30-2007 5:41 pm

hobbie_21
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 53

Re: Work IN Progress. ShizooEE

Hey ShizooEE!  How are ya! Good effort!

First off!  First glance, it looks unplanned.  It kinda looks like you just got on the computer and moved things around.  I don't want to sound like a jerk.  That being said. smile For this clip, there seems to be too much going on.  Way too much arm movement.  The body is in a stiff pose that is straight upright.  You need to pick out a pose that strongly suggests sadness or what ever it is you want the audience to feel.  Without the audio here, I can't tell what attitude its expressing.  Also, the camera view may not be in the best spot.  Usually if its in the center, its not as expressive and its just plain.  Picking a camera view is just as important as the animation.  You are telling the audience where to look.   A set in the background can help tell the story as well, but not totally needed all the time.

One BIG thing I see with beginning animators, is that they try to move the body too much.  I totally did that, and still see myself trying to avoid it.  "Don't over-animate. If it can be done in one pose, then why force more in?"  Especially with the arms.  Lots of animators ask themselves, "Well what do I do with the arms?"  If it works with them just hanging there, than don't force it.  Especially for this kind of clip.  You don't want a whole lot of movement or it'll lose the feeling and in my opinion, this clip should be focused on the face with as little arm or body movement as possible.  Try NOT to think, "What pose do I need for this set of words and the next set of words?" Think of what you need for the entire whole. 

When I first started doing dialogue, I tried matching my movement to the beat of the words.  I'd end up having different poses on almost every word.  And thats where I found that it was too busy and confusing to watch.

Act this out yourself and really get into the moment.  I think you'll see that your arms won't move that much.  And your hips are too centered as well.  Trying putting more weight on one side to add some contrast.  Pick out a strong golden pose and work with-in that.  Tell a story with it!  And plan, plan, plan!  Do not just sit down and start moving things around or your animation will suffer.   Remember, "Just because it moves, doesn't mean its animation.  Make sure it has meaning."

There are lots of things to look at to teach yourself better animation.  Go outside and study how people move and act, watch movies, live-action and animated.  Watching animated movies helped me a great deal, cause obviously, the animation was good enough for a professional feature film.  I like to really watch closely and see what they did to make it work!  "The Illusion of Life" by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston is huge!  Richard Williams' "Survival Kit", "Acting for animators", etc!

Also!  I found it to be EXTREMELY helpful going back to the basics.  I was pretty much a self-taught animator until Animation Mentor.  I started out animating dialogues first instead of basics.  Doing full body characters, with facial features if pretty darn complex and its tough to do, if you don't have the basic principles down.

Anyways!  Sorry for the essay!  We all will eventually get to the point where you say, "Awe!  I see!"  And it takes a while to train your eye!  I still get blind to my animation until someone points out what can be better and than I say "Awe!  I see!" haha big_smile  And that'll go on until you die!

Hope that helped!  If at all!  Keep it up! 

-Hobbie

Board footer