#26 08-01-2010 9:52 am

ranfart
Helper
Karmojo: 12

Re: 11 Second Club Rig

I can do it the design maybe..please let me know :-)

I'm looking for a job as animator 2d digital or traditional...everywhere!Please send me an email to contact me and visit my site here www.ranfanimation.com or download my portfolio here:
http://www.ranfanimation.com/doc/portfolio.pdf and looking mi storyboard here: http://blip.tv/file/2797467
THANX

#27 08-01-2010 10:36 am

Ramimator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 45

Yeah sure, why don't you give it a try??...smile

Ramimator's Blog

Blowing LIFE in a puppet's body...big_smile

#28 08-01-2010 11:39 am

DanCe3d
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 52

ranfart wrote:

I can do it the design maybe..please let me know :-)

Hey ranfart.. I saw your portfolio and your drawings and I think they're pretty good. It would be great if you can come up with some designs..

Here are a few things to keep in mind when designing:

-simple, clear, and easy to read (too much detail makes the rig's slower)
-he'll be able to become fat and skinny, change from male to female, and go from baby to old. Make sure to keep recognizable even with the changes in him.
-he'll be modeled in 3d so there has to be actual volume in him(not too flat graphic)

sweet! We'd all love to see wips too smile

Last edited by DanCe3d (08-01-2010 11:39 am)

Strive beyond the obvious... there you will find ART.

www.angelostacatalina.blogspot.com

#29 08-01-2010 11:44 am

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_46U3Sk-0jPM/T … eUptif.jpg

I thought I would link this to get people inspired(character designer- jason deamer)

#30 08-01-2010 12:42 pm

abdelhak
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 30

here's a vid i came across, I find the design very simple but pleasing, (and disney like), but just an inspiration, thought it might help.

Direct Link

#31 08-01-2010 1:56 pm

haripal
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 44

That's really one of the best thread that came after a long time___________surely wanna b the part of it,
@abdelhak, you have very beautiful design, and that should really be put on for final voting for Design,

Happy Animating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#32 08-01-2010 2:02 pm

abdelhak
Upstanding Citizen

haripal wrote:

That's really one of the best thread that came after a long time___________surely wanna b the part of it,
@abdelhak, you have very beautiful design, and that should really be put on for final voting for Design,

Happy Animating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first off thanks, but if you are talking about the zooey lipsync video in my last post then, its not my own design, its just a design i found, all credits of the actual piece go to kevin webb, and not me, I only found the design and thought it'd be a good inspiration to the direction of the design that the "11 second club rig" could take.

thanks for agreeing with the design though smile

Last edited by abdelhak (08-01-2010 2:03 pm)

#33 08-01-2010 3:15 pm

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

abdelhak wrote:

here's a vid i came across, I find the design very simple but pleasing, (and disney like), but just an inspiration, thought it might help.

Direct Link

wow absolutely brilliant! thanks for posting this.. i love it!

If we can get designs like that, that would just be awesome..

Last edited by DanCe3d (08-01-2010 3:23 pm)

#34 08-01-2010 3:31 pm

abdelhak
Upstanding Citizen

glad it helped smile

i think so too, if a talented artist here could draw up a design in a similar style, it would be awesome, and perhaps one of the most used rigs on the net due to its appeal and hopefully easy of usability / amount of control ... if that makes any sense

#35 08-01-2010 4:12 pm

Martyn
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 56

Hey guys, I made design for the 11 Second Club Rig, I hope you like it, I think it covers all bases.

http://i30.tinypic.com/futhc7.jpg

Last edited by Martyn (08-01-2010 4:12 pm)

Learning animation is like walking on a path that keeps widening until you're running in a field of ever-expanding possibilities. - via Clay Kaytis's fingers, 14th July 2010, Twitter, Earth

#36 08-01-2010 4:28 pm

Uncle11
Rockstar
Karmojo: 78

That just awesome, Martyn! Especially the Robot Claw. Ha ha!! And it's not even Friday. big_smile

Last edited by Uncle11 (08-01-2010 4:30 pm)

#37 08-01-2010 5:38 pm

Obraxis
Celebrity
Karmojo: 64

I agree, 11 Second Club needs it's own rig. Why should Animation Mentor students have all the fun? ;-)

Plus, it would advertise 11 Second Club, similar to AM with Bishop. All students could use it.

I greatly approve. Also, the design of the female above is great, something similar we could dial-in male/female attributes would be awesome.

#38 08-01-2010 5:42 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

I think other things we need to start thinking about even at this stage is logistical issues. How are we going to transfer the rig around for people to work on it? Who's going to work on what? What about naming conventions and stuff like that? What are we going to name the character? It needs to be versatile enough that we can pass the rig between different riggers and they can do their thing without breaking or altering anything too drastically. These are things we need to figure out soon, so we have a sort of "pseudio production" going (get it? big_smile).

#39 08-01-2010 6:23 pm

Ramimator
Upright Citizen

yeah "Devils, Angels & Dating"...It's DROPBOX...yes..a Sharing Folder..

Ramimator's Blog

#40 08-01-2010 6:28 pm

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

I think we should break the rigging down into 4 portions..

1.animation rig (body controls and set up)
2.skinning rig (someone who paints in all of the deformations)
3.facial rig (does all of the facial rigging)
4.customization rigging (adds blendShapes, props, clothes into an attribute)
     *blendshapes should be worked on by modelers as well
     *blendshapes for changing proportions of the body and face
     *to start it off, have atleast 5 sets of clothes

Adding extra clothes for future updates can be done easially..

Rigs would be passed on via dropbox. links to the file would be emailed to keep wips from leaking.

There should be a lead rigger, 1-2 other riggers, and anyone who is willing to create clothes, body proportions would be of big help.

Every set of wear and blendshape should be posted for critique, revisions, and approval.

Someone should be in charge of making sure all aspects are in top quality (we don't want messy edgeloops)

Once we get some designs in, things will start to pick up a lot faster. I'll ask around tomorrow at the office if they can sketch up some design concepts. I'm pretty sure they'll be more then willing. Once the basic designs come in. We need some more designers to alter the proportions and add character with clothes and such.. We'll need to give the designers some reference.

Frankly I am very excited with this one. I'd love to not think about what rig to use and how to dress him/her to suit the character. If we succeed in creating an appealing character that is very versatile and is capable of being just about anyone, this is going to be big. Not only would it be much easier to start animations, but it would probably attract more attention to 11 second club and I think that would be something great. Now isn't that something worth working for? Once we get the designs in, lets have a run down on who will work on what.

#41 08-01-2010 6:32 pm

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

Wismeier wrote:

I haven't read through the hole thread, but how did the "Devils, Angels & Dating"-short get made? I think he made a website. Perhaps someone with a little coding experience could whip something up. Maybe a blog could help also? It doesn't have to cost anything.

Something I think we should do is to name the rig. We could start a new thread were everybody could leave their suggestions.

@Martyn: HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! big_smilebig_smile

I think Keeping it here would do just fine since we're going to relate it with 11 second club.
It would also be a good idea to start a thread for specific tasks like modeling, rigging, texturing, and names....

#42 08-01-2010 6:34 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

I volunteer myself to make the GUI, and I'll help out any other way I can. I can also do set driven key type stuff (more busy work than hard work).

#43 08-01-2010 6:35 pm

Martyn
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 56

Hey hey, guys, now, if you want my concept you all have to chip in $6,000 each. If I don't see the money by Tuesday i'm selling it on ebay.

Joking aside, I look forward to see what you guys can magic up with this rig, I do like the design of the character above (the woman, not iSuc), so something along those lines would be super smashing great. I wish I could offer some sort of skills to this project, but i'll keep an eye on it, if there's anything I can help with, then I shall.

Learning animation is like walking on a path that keeps widening until you're running in a field of ever-expanding possibilities. - via Clay Kaytis's fingers, 14th July 2010, Twitter, Earth

#44 08-01-2010 7:11 pm

Ramimator
Upright Citizen

Ok I will give a try to character Design..when I m free..what do you think guys??....no problem to try..right??..big_smile..I liked the girl's Character, but after seeing Martyn design i changed my mind..big_smile

Ramimator's Blog

#45 08-01-2010 7:24 pm

Marcos_BorBa
Celebrity
Karmojo: 63

yeah Guys! that is what i was going to segest. I´ve seen here a lot of good 2d animators with awesome drawnings/design skills. Like Ranfart! Besides him, there is this guy(sorry right now don't remember your name) from the july´s 2010 submition that used 2D. that lady with the brush in her hands and harry is a doll on the table.

And there is the other guy (sorry don't remember the name also) that on the contest with sound track. did ana animation with a little magic guy in 2D with the look of old cartoons...i think he took third place.

So, those are 3 really good option to creat a design for the rig. What u guys think?

#46 08-01-2010 11:05 pm

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

yea guys.. u know what.. get them all.. its good to have several designs in.. then we can find out what we like and what we don't.. Having a design already there will also help the other designers.. ill try to get some today.. well.. off to work!

#47 08-02-2010 3:55 am

paulnaas
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 55

Ramimator wrote:

paulnaas wrote:

Ramimator wrote:

mmm...I don't know i had a feeling that this rig is another Bishop look a like, but a bit different.

I don't see it myself.  Please, let's stop with the "it's too close to Bishop" silliness.  With the 2.0 rig, it's going to be much harder to identify just what Bishop actually looks like, and trying to get completely away from ANYTHING that looks like him at all is a fool's errand.  Good faith effort not to copy the rig should be sufficient.  <rant off>

The only issue I see with this character is that from this angle it looks like his neck attaches to the back of his head.  Maybe it's just a bad angle, but his cranium should extend back from the back of the neck some.

Paulnaas: So first of all.. when you talk about something, you should talk about your own point of view..and it will be respectful...So i can consider what you are talking about is silly or you don't have eyes to see the difference .."my point of view too"...what do you think??...You won't stop me saying my opinion just because you think it's silliness..hmm..Anyway this was my point of view in this character and i still have it..this doesn't relate to any silliness..We don't need to have rigs that look like others in any way... much better to have a fresh new design...Thanks.

Back to the subject...I think maybe we could post a topic about the character design in the concept art community..what do you think guys?? ...and see if there are volunteers..smile

Maybe if you were a bit more specific about exactly WHY you believe it looks too much like Bishop, I could consider your objection as a serious one.  You provided none; only a nebulous comment about a "feeling."  So, how is it a lookalike?  Height? Coloring? Lack of clothing?  What?  Opinions usually have a basis - give us yours. 

If anyone doesn't have the "eyes to see the difference," it's you.  Here's what I see: The head is nothing like Bishop's - it's more a squarish oval than the near sphere that Bishop has.  It's also much narrower than Bishop's head.  The proportions of head to body are completely different.  I could go on, but you get the point.

As for similarities, this character is a mid-flesh tone with no clothes, and relatively slender with a pot belly.  Those are characteristics shared by many rigs, not just Bishop. 

Bishop's design is not sacrosanct; the designers of that rig borrowed heavily from classic cartoon character designs, which is why it's so appealing.  To now make those design elements off-limits simply because they're now in this rig is a ridiculous notion.

Last edited by paulnaas (08-02-2010 3:58 am)

#48 08-02-2010 4:24 am

abdelhak
Upstanding Citizen

paulnaas wrote:

Maybe if you were a bit more specific about exactly WHY you believe it looks too much like Bishop, I could consider your objection as a serious one.  You provided none; only a nebulous comment about a "feeling."  So, how is it a lookalike?  Height? Coloring? Lack of clothing?  What?  Opinions usually have a basis - give us yours. 

If anyone doesn't have the "eyes to see the difference," it's you.  Here's what I see: The head is nothing like Bishop's - it's more a squarish oval than the near sphere that Bishop has.  It's also much narrower than Bishop's head.  The proportions of head to body are completely different.  I could go on, but you get the point.

As for similarities, this character is a mid-flesh tone with no clothes, and relatively slender with a pot belly.  Those are characteristics shared by many rigs, not just Bishop. 

Bishop's design is not sacrosanct; the designers of that rig borrowed heavily from classic cartoon character designs, which is why it's so appealing.  To now make those design elements off-limits simply because they're now in this rig is a ridiculous notion.

guys, guys, how about we stop trashing this thread with pointless arguments and get back to the subject, Plus i think everyone here agrees, that a design in the direction of my previous posts, the female rig, is something we should head towards.. NOW lets drop the nonsense arguments and begin designing smile

#49 08-02-2010 4:54 am

Ramimator
Upright Citizen

paulnaas wrote:

Ramimator wrote:

paulnaas wrote:

I don't see it myself.  Please, let's stop with the "it's too close to Bishop" silliness.  With the 2.0 rig, it's going to be much harder to identify just what Bishop actually looks like, and trying to get completely away from ANYTHING that looks like him at all is a fool's errand.  Good faith effort not to copy the rig should be sufficient.  <rant off>

The only issue I see with this character is that from this angle it looks like his neck attaches to the back of his head.  Maybe it's just a bad angle, but his cranium should extend back from the back of the neck some.

Paulnaas: So first of all.. when you talk about something, you should talk about your own point of view..and it will be respectful...So i can consider what you are talking about is silly or you don't have eyes to see the difference .."my point of view too"...what do you think??...You won't stop me saying my opinion just because you think it's silliness..hmm..Anyway this was my point of view in this character and i still have it..this doesn't relate to any silliness..We don't need to have rigs that look like others in any way... much better to have a fresh new design...Thanks.

Back to the subject...I think maybe we could post a topic about the character design in the concept art community..what do you think guys?? ...and see if there are volunteers..smile

Anyway I'm not here to make jokes so when you talk or give a comment you shouldn't be rude, this is rule number 1 in any forum....it seems like you want to read parts and leave parts in what i wrote, i didn't say you don't have eyes...I said "i can consider my self telling you that what you are saying is silly or you don't have eyes..what do you think??"...it won't be polite right??..that's what i meant by "what do you think??" and "i can consider"...anyway..ok as i don't have eyes...and thank you... i will show you a small thing...maybe you ignore it or you don't have an idea about it...is put the character you think there is no resemblance with bishop, in the same pose of this kung fu one and you will see what i meant..look at it from a far point or in silhouette...got it??...imagine it and tell me...We don't need a rig that can be refused like the ex: Azari one, just because they are cousins..and i got a pic from azari too

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8218791/Ref_pic/azaryzoom.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8218791/Ref_pic/2454836690102966139S600x600Q85.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8218791/Ref_pic/kungfu_bishop.jpg

anyway those forums are not making for fights, they are for help.. so i think you should be less rude when you say something..or you are talking about someone's opinion even if you don't like it.. you can say yours too...got it??...this will really help you in your future job career...

Ramimator's Blog

#50 08-02-2010 5:03 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Guys for the love of all things holy don't freakin' turn this into an argument about something so stupid. We are entitled to our opinions, thats fine, but take it elsewhere if you want to argue. Yes, the rigs have similarities, let's leave it at that.

Board footer