#1 07-31-2010 5:42 am

DanCe3d
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 52

11 Second Club Rig

We want to design a rig in such a way that it is fast, easy to use, capable of doing whatever is needed by the animator, and is customizable (meaning it has a bunch of built in clothes, props, and different body shapes).

As of the moment, we are still undergoing the "pitch in stage" and we are trying to find out who is willing to use their skills to contribute to the creation of this rig.

Here is the following list of some of the things that need to be worked out:

-Generic Design (proportions, style,)
-Modeling (clothes, props, trait shapes)
-Rigging, skinning, facial set up (included functions, control design, UI)
-Textures (if any)
-Documentation (instruction on usage, credits)
-Release (is it free? will there be future add ons?)
-Any additional ideas

We need volunteers in all of the above aspects.

mod edit: removed references to AM's rigs

Strive beyond the obvious... there you will find ART.

www.angelostacatalina.blogspot.com

#2 07-31-2010 5:50 am

Ramimator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 45

Re: 11 Second Club Rig

Ahha...that's Great... you already did one...smile..

Ramimator's Blog

Blowing LIFE in a puppet's body...big_smile

#3 07-31-2010 7:39 am

totoro
Model Citizen

this will be great!

#4 07-31-2010 8:18 am

Martyn
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 56

I LIKE it.

I vote for normal size hands/fingers and an all denim ensemble.  I only want one of those.

Learning animation is like walking on a path that keeps widening until you're running in a field of ever-expanding possibilities. - via Clay Kaytis's fingers, 14th July 2010, Twitter, Earth

#5 07-31-2010 8:58 am

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

the hands and fingers would definitely be scalable so its up to the animator to decide. I was particularly fund of hogarth's proportions and especially the design of his hands.. they're so appealing.. Eye's should pretty big and expressive, that way it can be read easially..

Last edited by DanCe3d (07-31-2010 9:29 am)

#6 07-31-2010 4:33 pm

Ramimator
Upright Citizen

hmm...Yeah I think we should really make a rig like the Bishop2 ... look at how one of the industry's guys is thinking (DR. Andrew)...

Here is one of his demoreel guidline

Last edited by Ramimator (07-31-2010 4:34 pm)

Ramimator's Blog

#7 07-31-2010 4:55 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

Haha, I like how Danc3d had a suggestion and I took over, and now I had a suggestion and he took over smile

But yeah, this could definitely be a huge deal if it get's off the ground. If everyone wants to help out, you can start by finding some good rigging reels done in Maya on YouTube and ask the rigger if they would be interested. The CGTalk thread has a lot less response than I would have hoped for. I realize this won't be done overnight but I'm real eager to get started.

#8 07-31-2010 5:18 pm

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

Ah yea... haha.. I'm really eager to get this started as well.. First things first... We need an idea of what the character will look like... we gotta get some designs for this. Any suggestions on proportations and style? I'll try to email some character designers and see if they're interested.

#9 07-31-2010 5:23 pm

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

Or, what if we look for good designers and see if we can use their existing designs. Im sure there are good character designers who would be more then willing to give some designs for a rig.. check around guys..

#10 07-31-2010 5:38 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Yeah I agree we definitely need to do our homework as far as planning. The importance  of figuring out the logistics for something like this can not be underestimated.

#11 07-31-2010 8:37 pm

TheStanfordArmadillo
Helper
Karmojo: 10

Hi All;
I recently got permission to take RH's Zulu character and rebuild it as a maya rig. I've already done some modifications to it but I can always do them over if you think it needs any changes.
Here's the original:
http://community.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/media/folder_9/file_443453.jpg

and here's what I've done with it:
http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/27448/2454836690102966139S600x600Q85.jpg

Technically I'm just an animator, and I was planning to just auto rig it, but I got stuck at making the facial setup. I've been wanting to contribute a series of appealing rigs that all could fit into the same world if they were animated together, but as that is a side project and my actual schoolwork always tends to take up 90% of my time, this is all I have for now. I have worked on other character designs if anyone is interested in reviewing them for this project...

Last edited by HMLTFan (07-31-2010 8:41 pm)

#12 07-31-2010 11:18 pm

Ramimator
Upright Citizen

mmm...I don't know i had a feeling that this rig is another Bishop look a like, but a bit different.. hmm..Maybe something completely different and far from the usual rigs will be better...smile

Last edited by Ramimator (07-31-2010 11:22 pm)

Ramimator's Blog

#13 08-01-2010 12:37 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Yeah it would be a shame to have a Bishop clone and not be able to use it in any 11SC entries. We definitely need an original design, or at least something that looks nothing like Bishop.

#14 08-01-2010 12:39 am

TheStanfordArmadillo
Helper

Other than the shader color I don't see much resemblance of my character to Bishop...

#15 08-01-2010 1:58 am

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

i was really thinking about proportions near hogarth.. he looks very fun to animate..

#16 08-01-2010 2:24 am

Jero 3D
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 43

This is an awesome idea! We should find someone how knows how to do this, I'm sure there is someone around here. I was thinking that maybe it could look like Norman or Goon or even MooM, those 3 are really appealing.

"Don't make it real, make it believable" - Ollie Johnston

Check out my blog! http://jeromaggi.blogspot.com/

#17 08-01-2010 2:40 am

cosmicfool
Upright Citizen

Norman is so customizable I think it would be worthwhile to just make it a bit more user friendly in terms of its proportions.
I've seen good norman kids, large, small, females, old you name it with norman. You can create blendshapes of the body and lattices around all the individual geo, and make his body look however. Im sure with some work one could make some set driven keys that can be pretty animator friendly in terms of customization. Save the time modelling a generic looking character and rigging it as well, just supe up the already existing one that is an amazing rig.

me fail english, thats umpossible.

#18 08-01-2010 3:20 am

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

i think it would be nice to build a new rig from the start. It would give a fresh start. and something people here in 11 second club can be proud of.. like a mini production.. but i am good for whatever.. lets have a vote.

rebuild current rigs(norman, moom,) or design one from scratch?

#19 08-01-2010 3:41 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen

I'm pretty torn honestly. They both have their pro's and con's. Here's how I see it:

from scratch (hey, now there's a good name lol):
Pros:
-More originality
-Would be a brand new rig for everyone to play with
-Wouldn't be recognizable like the other well known rigs/something fresh
Cons
-Would take a lot longer
-Requires more people to pitch in

Modify existing:
Pros
-Rigs already built
-Only modify instead of build from scratch
Cons
-The well known ones like Norman and Moom are a bit overused
-There's already a Norman database of modified Normans

I'm pretty much 60/40 for scratch vs modify. I really think us animators deserve to have a really cool rig to play with, something we can customize and "call our own". The Bishop 2.0 news has really inspired me, I say we go for it (I can sooner build my own custom rig than wait till class 4 comes around to be able to use Bishop) smile

#20 08-01-2010 4:30 am

paulnaas
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 55

Ramimator wrote:

mmm...I don't know i had a feeling that this rig is another Bishop look a like, but a bit different.

I don't see it myself.  Please, let's stop with the "it's too close to Bishop" silliness.  With the 2.0 rig, it's going to be much harder to identify just what Bishop actually looks like, and trying to get completely away from ANYTHING that looks like him at all is a fool's errand.  Good faith effort not to copy the rig should be sufficient.  <rant off>

The only issue I see with this character is that from this angle it looks like his neck attaches to the back of his head.  Maybe it's just a bad angle, but his cranium should extend back from the back of the neck some.

#21 08-01-2010 4:47 am

abdelhak
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 30

hey all, i just stumbled on this thread, and i love the idea of having a rig similar to bishop in terms of control, and for what its worth, i don't mind lending a hand as well...
i'm actually an animator but i've done some rigging as well, but anyways, heres a video of what i've done thus far, i'm still a student and am still learning but if you see me fit for anything, i don't mind helping smile

Direct Link

#22 08-01-2010 5:07 am

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

tomorrow ill ask some of the guys at the studio if they can pitch in a design.

Honestly, I think a lot of the work would be modeling.. I'll ask the guys at the office if they can sketch up a few base designs.. then we can work with that...

#23 08-01-2010 5:12 am

TheStanfordArmadillo
Helper

paulnaas wrote:

The only issue I see with this character is that from this angle it looks like his neck attaches to the back of his head.  Maybe it's just a bad angle, but his cranium should extend back from the back of the neck some.

Thanks, I'll see if I can fix that...

#24 08-01-2010 5:22 am

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

paulnaas wrote:

Ramimator wrote:

mmm...I don't know i had a feeling that this rig is another Bishop look a like, but a bit different.

I don't see it myself.  Please, let's stop with the "it's too close to Bishop" silliness.  With the 2.0 rig, it's going to be much harder to identify just what Bishop actually looks like, and trying to get completely away from ANYTHING that looks like him at all is a fool's errand.  Good faith effort not to copy the rig should be sufficient.  <rant off>

I think it would be good to stay away from other designs especially the popular ones (not just bishop but norman, moom, max, etc as well) This gives it a different aesthetics. We're trying to make a character that has appeal and even though there are different body and face shapes and a bunch of clothes and props, it would still be recognizable. That's what bishop captures.

The model up top looks alright but isn't nearly as appealing as it should be.

#25 08-01-2010 8:04 am

Ramimator
Upright Citizen

paulnaas wrote:

Ramimator wrote:

Paulnaas: So first of all.. when you talk about something, you should talk about your own point of view..and it will be respectful...So i can consider what you are talking about is silly or you don't have eyes to see the difference .."my point of view too"...what do you think??...You won't stop me saying my opinion just because you think it's silliness..hmm..Anyway this was my point of view in this character and i still have it..this doesn't relate to any silliness..We don't need to have rigs that look like others in any way... much better to have a fresh new design...Thanks.

Back to the subject...I think maybe we could post a topic about the character design in the concept art community..what do you think guys?? ...and see if there are volunteers..smile

Last edited by Ramimator (08-01-2010 8:47 am)

Ramimator's Blog

Board footer