#1 12-18-2007 2:49 pm

michaelcawood
Celebrity
Karmojo: 60

Acrobat Previs Linetest - Feedback wanted

I fancied something a little different and I have wanted to do something like this since I was at Uni. I didnít do it at the time because Tarzan had just come out and I didnít want to be seen as following a trendÖ since everyone back then was in to doing everything 100% original.

Anyway, I thought Iíd use it as a way to have a go at using Flipbook to help plan the shot. So this is a look at my work in progress. I'm drawing on top of previs I generated in Maya. I've switched back and forth between 2d and 3d several times already in order to rework this. I used to be a 2D animator but getting used to drawing with a Wacom is really tricky, I donít have anywhere near as much control as Iím used to with pencil and paper (as you can see in the wobbly lines). Iím hoping to start posing the CG character soon, but I thought Iíd get some feedback before I plough into that. Thereís still lots of refining I could do at this 2D stage but a lot of things are hard to judge when they arenít in 3D space (like the speed of the legs running into the screen).

Post your thoughts, both big picture, and per frame analysis. Anything you think of will be helpful. Iím going blind to it now, and using a mirror only goes so far!

Direct Link

#2 12-18-2007 6:00 pm

michaelcawood
Celebrity

Re: Acrobat Previs Linetest - Feedback wanted

Second pass on the linetest with more detail. It should be easier to watch now.

Direct Link

#3 12-18-2007 9:57 pm

avneriginal
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 53

Great start Mike,

I like the idea behind this mechanics piece. It's great that you can revisit some of the things you liked when you were at school.
About the shot:

Overall I think what you are trying to communicate works well. My eye followed what the character was doing with no distractions. The main thing that stood out for me and it may be because everything is still very rough was the first couple of poses when he falls down, slides, then steps further down before he jumps. It felt like you need to add a little bit more impact and weight there, the character is falling after all.

I hope it make some sense, anyway, just my two cents.
I think you are going to have loads of fun working on this one. Can't wait to see the next pass.

Cheers,
Av

#4 12-19-2007 4:11 pm

comicsserg
Celebrity
Karmojo: 61
Productive!

Great !!!!
I like this!!!!! big_smile

Serg Bel.

#5 12-20-2007 8:43 pm

flashmario
Tipster
Karmojo: 30

Hey Mike,

I love this workflow approach, awesome smile!  This looks like a lot of fun!  Some comments, when he first slides down the building on the left side, I'd ease into contact with the building.  It seems like he's coming into it fast enough that he'll just bounce off... maybe drag his right arm behind some more to show drag/friction.  When the guy jumps and begins to spin on the bar, I'd push the arch reversal on his spine to get more "ummph" as well as drag his feet behind for more overlap. You could probably start doing this in 3D smile.

Looks great, can't wait to see more
-Eric

#6 12-20-2007 9:16 pm

michaelcawood
Celebrity

Thanks Guys. I did a little more work in 2D since this version, but most of the challenges in the scene are related to 3D space and how fast the character travels across the surfaces so I've made a start transfering it in to Maya (where I'll address Eric's notes). It seems like it's going to take a while since there are so many things to match and translating it into 3D has it's challenges too. I'll check in again when I have something to show.

#7 12-22-2007 6:50 pm

Mythsnlore
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79

The biggest thing I see which strikes me as odd is that sometimes I expect him to scale up or down more than he does, such as when he slides into the foreground and when he jumps on those pyrimid things. Seems like he should scale a big more drastically.

Looking very nice, I love the 2D/ 3D hybrid!

#8 01-02-2008 5:27 pm

michaelcawood
Celebrity

I thought Iíd post this progress video purely for comedy value. No critique necessary. This is just a crude matching of key poses from the 2D linetest to the 3D model. I havenít done the breakdowns or the legs, and quite obviously there is loads of work left to do. How fast the legs have to move to cover the ground at the speed Iíve set, will dictate a change in the arms speed (clearly this looks a little silly at the moment). But I thought some people may be interestedÖ so here it is anyway.

Direct Link

#9 01-02-2008 8:54 pm

comicsserg
Celebrity
Productive!

Certainly interestingly expose further the progress, very much it would be desirable to see further; I wait for progress! big_smile

Serg Bel.

#10 01-02-2008 10:11 pm

ivanisavich
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 35

Looks good! Think the arm motion might be a little too fast during the running bits.....might be nice to loosen it up a bit.

#11 01-03-2008 10:07 am

Deadsquirrel
Helper
Karmojo: 14

Very nice. Seems like a lot of fun to do too!

There's only two things that struck me as a bit odd.
The last fall, after the sommersault, seems like he's floating.
And the jump while he's sliding down the first building. I think there's not enough anticipaton for the speed he attains going to the next building. Though that might be more visible when the legs appear.

Very nice stuff. Very motiviating to see such WIPs. Thanks! smile

#12 01-07-2008 5:11 pm

michaelcawood
Celebrity

Still plenty of work to do but I thought Iíd post an updated version. There are a number of points in the shot Iíll have to convert IK limbs into FK, and then it should be easier to rework some of the timing. But feel free to fire off your feedback. Iíd appreciate the extra eyes on it!

Direct Link

#13 01-07-2008 8:42 pm

comicsserg
Celebrity
Productive!

Great work man!!!!!
I realy like the begin big_smile amazing!!!
But at me only one note. It seems to me strange when it skips on roofs, it looks a little strange, but only my opinion. I look forward continuation big_smile
Keep going!!!!

Serg Bel.

#14 01-08-2008 9:19 am

Mythsnlore
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79

I like the first slide and the jump into the windows but the "teepee" jumps and the small incline right before it seem slow to me. If he had just slid down the building like that, I imagine his feet would be speeding along WAY faster to catch the ground at all, but then he seems to be leaning downward, which tells me that he's trying to speed up! So yeah, faster feet; but the speed I'm talking about might be ridiculous, as fast as 1 frame steps.

Hope that helps.

#15 01-08-2008 9:57 am

michaelcawood
Celebrity

Thanks guys. I've actually been having trouble with how fast the slope run is, it's resulted in 4 frame cycles in places! It may look better when the legs and ankles are posed properly. I'm going to use Flipbook to mess around with the timing in a moment, I'll see what comes out of it.

#16 01-08-2008 11:48 am

michaelcawood
Celebrity

Iíve made a series of timing and pose changes in Flipbook over the Maya preview.

Direct Link

#17 01-10-2008 5:10 pm

michaelcawood
Celebrity

Still lots of refinement to do but feedback is welcomed (donít worry too much about wobbly limbs, torsos, deforming body shapes or broken elbowsÖ that will all be fixed as I go along).

Direct Link

#18 01-10-2008 5:23 pm

daniel_huertas
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

this piece is coming along really nice michael!

I would refine at this point the up and downs in the run inside the building.. right now the center of mass looks very linear before that jump.. also cuz you don't have a clear anticipation before the jump... i think you hold a micro anticipation but it's too fast that it's not reading propertly... probably in the middle of the run it should gradualy be going down to take the antic position before the pole jump.. dunno.. but that's the only weak part i can find right now.. the rest needs to be refined and polished as you said.. but it looks really nice.. keep it up! smile

#19 01-10-2008 5:39 pm

michaelcawood
Celebrity

I've been looking at this for too long! I've just had some observations from a few non-animators that are ringing true. He's not really running on the slope, he's fast walking. He should be able to do the run inside the building in one bound, which will fix the fast arms and the jump anticipation. I've slowed down the slope run and the skylight jump in Premiere and it looks a little better. I should really have looked at some reference footage of someone coming off a somersault, it looks wrong as he straightens up.

So lots to do!

#20 01-19-2008 7:17 pm

michaelcawood
Celebrity

I've been a bit busy with work so I've not had much time to work on this but I grabbed a few hours today and thought I'd post my progress.

I've reworked the legs a fair bit, which has messed up the arms so I'll come back to them. I still need to change the part coming out of the somersault at the end.

Direct Link

#21 01-19-2008 10:43 pm

comicsserg
Celebrity
Productive!

Very nice big_smile
But in previous video a hand move all too quickly, i think wink

Very very nice beginning big_smile keep going

Serg Bel.

#22 01-20-2008 4:56 pm

KyleG
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 38

This is coming along very nicely, the main thing that bothers me is the section when he dives into the building, right now it looks like he's taking 4 or 5 very small steps inside the building, at the speed he's coming in at I would make it more like 2 maybe 3 longer bounds then jump out the window. Keep up the good work!!

Kyle Kenworthy
My Blog
My Class

#23 01-20-2008 10:04 pm

michaelcawood
Celebrity

I've put the arms back in crudely. You can't see it yet but they'll get a lot better now that they are FK where they need to be, rather than IK all the way through. Still lots to do and I'll probably be changing the dismount from the bar at the end completely. I've been looking up reference footage on YouTube... trouble is they usually do two or more spins which is a bit more flamboyant than I wanted.

Direct Link

#24 02-05-2008 9:36 am

Dan Carey

Mr mike, that name is very familiar smile Ė great to see your still pushing the skills! This is looking very nice indeed, i love how you have developed this Ė and its certainly paying off. Itís a bit of a shame it cuts before we see him land, this would just round the animation off a little nicely. If i may make one nit-pick, The one section that doesnít work quite so well for me is the pyramid glass windows. The way we see this part of the obstacle makes it hard to read. I think if you were to replace the glass windows with 2 air ducts of different heights this would read much better - as if he is hoping on the top of logs / poles over a river Ė something along them lines. Looking great though mike, you have certainly improved since we worked together oh so many moons ago. Keep it reel! (as you can see, my punís have not improved).

#25 02-05-2008 10:09 pm

michaelcawood
Celebrity

Thanks Dan... always a pleasure. I shall inevitably change much of the enviroment. I just wanted certain actions to occur and I wanted to stay focused on the animation, letting it lead the scene. I may change the two sky lights for pipes or something later and add other apparent obstructions to make the journey more interesting, but not before I've nailed the main goals. I may also rework the camera too.

Anyway, I had a chance to do some work on this on the weekend, I just didn't have time to upload so here's the latest version. Still need to work on the dismount but the rest has been reworked. I'll also have to spend some time making the deformations look natural on the high resolution model.

Critiques are welcomed... smile

Board footer