#1 05-20-2010 9:47 am

DanCe3d
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 52

animation challenge anyone?

who would be interested in making a little animation challenge like once or twice a week or something? i was thinking it would be cool to do some rough animation(even just keys) and we'd post them here. no competition or anything. and the stuff should be quick. something similar to that one thread a while back where there is a pose for the week, but this time, with animation. i was thinking just keys. a large portion of doing animation is polishing... but the most important part is the structure.. the story telling poses... the vital extremes and breakdowns.. i think we can get more practice on that area when just experimenting with keys and such... i saw this blog called flipbooks and stuff(flipbooknstuff.blogspot.com) where the artist does like straight ahead animations in flipbook without planning which i thought would be really fun to do. what do you guys think>

Last edited by DanCe3d (05-21-2010 5:22 am)

Strive beyond the obvious... there you will find ART.

www.angelostacatalina.blogspot.com

#2 05-20-2010 6:15 pm

evilanimator_13
Helper
Karmojo: 12

Re: animation challenge anyone?

Thats a Wonderful initiative Man ! Count Me In  !!  Lets DO this thing  ! !

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."    - Walt Disney

sumitarora06@gmail.com

#3 05-20-2010 8:52 pm

robcat2075
Celebrity
Karmojo: 68

Back around 2004 Kenny Roy ran a contest called "The Animation Showdown" where you got not four weeks, not four days, but four hours to get something going.

I found that to be rather a nail-biter, but I slowly got better

Hard to keep people coming back every week, though.

Last edited by robcat2075 (05-20-2010 8:56 pm)

"3D animators have pencil envy" - Robert Holmén
The world's most beloved Heavy Push
This is only a... my gallery of CG tests
I'm a 2D Wannabe...  drawings and 2D animation tests

#4 05-20-2010 9:18 pm

KyleG
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 38

I do like the idea of a challenge that only takes things to blocking/blocking plus, that way you could get feedback & decided if you want to continue it...or just throw it out lol

Kyle Kenworthy
My Blog
My Class

#5 05-21-2010 12:55 am

evilanimator_13
Helper

Im so EXCITED ! ! When are we gonna start , lol tongue

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."    - Walt Disney

sumitarora06@gmail.com

#6 05-21-2010 1:41 am

aja
Administrator
Karmojo: 35
Administrator

I'd love to do a 4-hour showdown type thing!  Wonder if Kenny's got any time now that he's running his own studio...

#7 05-21-2010 2:09 am

ChocoBilly
Administrator
Karmojo: 82
Administrator

How would that work? Is that like an audio file (or written description) shows up at a certain time and entries have to be in by 4 hours after said time? Looks like DanCe3d just had a stroke of genius ~ this is very interesting.

#8 05-21-2010 5:15 am

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

yea..  maybe we can pitch in on a short dialog piece.. and its up to you how far you want to go(just as long as you can see the character and whats going on in the scene).. the animation can be anything.. pantomiming a given action. ill  create a free download account and host an audio file. maybe we can have a choice-dialogue or pantomime to keep things fun. ill move this topic to the work in progress forum later after work. this will be fun! smile

Last edited by DanCe3d (05-21-2010 5:22 am)

#9 05-21-2010 5:20 am

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

ChocoBilly wrote:

How would that work? Is that like an audio file (or written description) shows up at a certain time and entries have to be in by 4 hours after said time? Looks like DanCe3d just had a stroke of genius ~ this is very interesting.

it can be both! anything goes.. we're all here to learn and have fun.  At the beginning of each week, I or anyone willing will pitch in a simple idea or a link to a dialog file. all animations will be posted on the same forum and are open for any critique. All animations would be due after a week. I think the 4 hours thing is a great idea but not everyone is available at the same time so that might not work here. Although, we can all set up a specific time or something. Let me hear what you guys think. smile

#10 05-21-2010 6:15 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

I like the idea of a dialogue piece, but isn't that what the competition is for? Surely we can mix it up and do body mechanics and whatnot.

Perhaps we should keep a list of ideas as well?

#11 05-21-2010 6:19 am

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

yea. I was saying that.. have both dialog and body mechanics/pantomime stuff.. yea i think thats a good idea.. have a list of possible ideas for the week.. and anyone can pitch in... we'd all agree to one at the beginning of each week...

#12 05-21-2010 9:10 am

pesh

That's a crazy good idea. I have a friend who recently participated in a challenge - you (or you and your team) have to make a short movie for...13 hours!!! From concept to finish big_smile I think it has been really inspiring and creative, just as this one here smile

We scare because we care smile

#13 05-21-2010 10:02 am

ivanlancaster
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 37

i'd be up for weekly/fortnightly/monthly challenge for a non-audio/pantomime/body mech type shot!

#14 05-21-2010 3:14 pm

evilanimator_13
Helper

Body Mechanics & Pantomime seems a better idea , I guess Weekly Challenge would be really affordable by evrybody. Wat do u guys think ? Coz if it'd be in hours, Employees, Students may have their work & that'be responsible for their absence, just my viewpoint , Cant wait to get started guys smile

sumitarora06@gmail.com

#15 05-21-2010 5:33 pm

KyleG
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 38

4 hrs is pretty quick...I know lots of us work, so maybe more like a 24 hr challenge? or like evilanimator_13 said, a weekly type thing

Last edited by KyleG (05-21-2010 5:35 pm)

Kyle Kenworthy
My Blog
My Class

#16 05-21-2010 7:43 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

A week almost seems like too much. I'm likin' 24/13 hours right now.

Perhaps my animation exercise thread would be a good place to start?

#17 05-22-2010 12:13 am

asofiker
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 55

Yeah. I really like the idea of a shorter amount of time like Camaro is saying.

Heres a suggestion on how it could work.

Start a whole new forum for say 5 hour challenge.

Then make a new topic for each individual challenge.

The competition will run for say 3 days.

Each person initiates their own post just by simply typing something like "here I go" or whatever.

Then no more than 5 hours you must edit your post by posting your final video.

After the 3 day mark, the topic will close.

Maybe this way the competition can last longer but we can also make sure people are not cheating by spending more than 5 hours on it.

May take some doing on the moderators part since a new forum would need to be started and then to close a topic so no more people can post.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Last edited by asofiker (05-22-2010 12:14 am)

Never for one second think that tomorrow is promised to you. So learn form yesterday, live for today, and hope for tomorrow.

#18 05-22-2010 12:27 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen

I like where this is going. What about choosing a winner? Or should we just have it for practice...

#19 05-22-2010 1:58 am

ivanlancaster
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 37

hey i like where this is going too. but 4 hrs seems a bit limiting to me. it's all gonna be carp if we only have 4 hours tongue

#20 05-22-2010 2:01 am

cutieturtle07
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 53

Cool this sounds like fun. I can't wait to see everyone's progress.

#21 05-22-2010 2:05 am

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

wow. its great to see all these ideas unraveling! Like i said before, the 5 hour thing is a great idea but im not sure if we can schedule a time period that works for everyone. 1 week does seem too long though... what about this guys...

There will be 3 forum topics...
       1.body mechanics
       2.pantomime
       3.dialogue

A moderator will post the description of the challenge (and a link to download the dialogue on the dialogue forum) once a week. (all suggestions of upcoming challenges should be emailed to this moderator and he will decide)

Its an open forum and anyone can join in and at any time so long as it is within the half-week period of the given challenge.

This would be a challenge, not a competition.

keys or polished would be up to the animator. (if keys and breakdowns, have enough to describe storyline, mechanics, etc...)

Time slots would be:
       actual challenge- Sunday to Thursday
       commenting, critiquing and brainstorming for next challenge- Thursday to Sunday
(for those who have hurdles of free time, they can join all 3 challenges(dialogue, body mechanics, pantomime)

//we can also do it twice a week but i feel thats a lot for people like me who have work or students who have their own assignments.

So what do you think guys?

#22 05-22-2010 2:56 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen

I think you're on the right track; we have to set up the time slots in such a way that the max amount of people can participate. So if for example we decided on a 24 hour challenge, we would have a pantomime going from monday - tuesday, body mechanics from wednesday to thursday, and dialogue from friday to saturday. Then the next week we would rotate and have the dialogue, the pantomime, and then the body mechanics, etc. And of course we would have rotating within those timeslots as well to allow for timezone changes.

This could get really complicated, but I think if we had a separate forum to figure things out, it could work quite nicely smile

#23 05-22-2010 5:14 am

evilanimator_13
Helper

Completely agree with Camaro, we can start with his thread with different Exercises smile And I hope duration would be kept  by taking different timezones in view smile

sumitarora06@gmail.com

#24 05-22-2010 5:04 pm

aja
Administrator
Karmojo: 35
Administrator

You guys might also want to check out some similar ideas out there, and see what you think: 

CGSociety's Animation Sessions Forum
Spungella's awesome 100-frame "Guilt" challenge

Are these the sorts of things you have in mind for a mini-challenge?

#25 05-22-2010 6:34 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Yeah aja those are perfect examples. I hadn't even thought about having a frame limit rather than/as well as a time limit.

I don't suppose you could make a separate forum like we were talking about so we can iron out the details?

Board footer