#1 06-27-2007 4:48 pm

aja
Administrator
Karmojo: 35
Administrator

New Video Upload System

Thanks to the mighty brain of Mark Bogdanoff, all video uploads are now automatically scaled and compressed to h.264 files! 

You can now upload whatever format you want, as long as it's 5 megs or less, it doesn't have to be a .mov file.  Any framerate is fine, it'll keep your existing framerate. 

Widescreen movies will be squished, so please stick to fullscreen 4:3 aspect ratios. 

All voters will need to have a recent copy of the free Quicktime player to view entries.

This is a huge help, three cheers for Mark!  big_smile

#2 06-28-2007 5:52 am

splinejunkie
Superstar!
Karmojo: 82

Re: New Video Upload System

That's hot!  Nice work!!

Eric Luhta

#3 07-01-2007 3:49 pm

evenflcw
Upstanding Citizen

Could we not use the h.264 codec? It can produce very pretty results but it is the most cpu intensive and inefficient codec out there when it comes to playback! Imho it should not be used for anything but video that requires the best visual quality that will most likely be played on an expensive system. It should not be used for small clips where playing at the correct framerate (ie no lag ever) on almost any home computer is more important than visual quality.

On playing one of the clips in the current competion the cpu usage acctually goes to 100% on my laptop (pentium 4m/first gen centrino  @ 800mhz) and it is apparent that it is not playing at the right rate. In other words, because of the choice of codec I am unable to judge and vote. Which is very unfortunate, mostly for myself as I really enjoy watching and voting for the entries.

The old site used the best codec for the job, old mpg1. Ok ok visual quality might not have been the best but it works on any system, is cpu friendly and scrubs easily (plenty of keyframes) by default. I'm not saying use mpg1 though, I'm just saying don't use h.264! It is not the right tool for this job.

I also wouldn't mind being able to download everything at once like before to cut down the waiting (not everyone has 10Mbit).

Other than that, I'm super happy the 10/11secondclub competition is back and the new upload/voting system is very nice. Thanks!

Last edited by evenflcw (07-01-2007 3:50 pm)

#4 07-01-2007 10:01 pm

aja
Administrator
Administrator

These are great points, evenflcw, and it's not a big deal for us to change what codec the system uses.  We went with h.264 cause it tends to give us the smallest file sizes without losing quality, but if it's causing problems on a lot of people's systems, that's not good.  smile  We'll look into switching it to a less cpu-intensive codec.  Thanks for the feedback!  big_smile

Board footer