#1 06-26-2007 3:29 pm

Leefmc
Tipster
Karmojo: 23

Blocking Practice

Welp, lot of older versions, so i'll just post the new one:

Direct Link

This is a rough timing, straight from the blocking stage. I need to fix how he reacts at frames 38-50, as it is not what i intended.

The rough "story" is that he is in a proud state, then he notices something, then reacts fearfully. I originally wanted to reverse the end Action Line of the fearful pose, but i kept it just to save time of redoing frames.

All comments welcome and much appreciated, this is only my first few animations, and first using the blocking methodology. Thanks smile

#2 06-27-2007 3:57 am

ARUN.VIJAYAN
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 39

Re: Blocking Practice

hi leefmc,
             first of all this work is not bad.....but i have some suggestions.......
if the char is in proud pose....he will not look the cam stright...his head have to be little tilted to the left of the cam....i think u need to keep that proud pose till frame 50 even though he is looking to the object or cam....

"If you can dream it, you can do it." -Walt Disney

http://www.arunvijayan.com

#3 06-27-2007 4:16 pm

blakboks
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

Hey Leefmc,
Were you planning to do any sort of "facial animation" to him (not that he has much of a face to animate)?  A brow ridge might really help.  If you intend to keep the setup as-is, I'd recommend adding some anticipation/squash right before he reels back.  Maybe make the movements/poses a little bigger in general...make sure those silhouettes are perfect.  In XSI a good way to check this is to switch to 'Constant' display in your viewport (you can do captures in that mode, too, to see it in realtime--in case your computer has to drop frames on playback in the viewport).  If you can still understand what your poses are communicating with it in constant mode, then you've succeeded, but if the pose looks a little muddy and unclear, then tweak the pose.

Also, the story isn't really coming across real clear.  I'm not sure what he's reacting to.  I think we need to see it.  Which, of course will involve changing the layout and everything.  A closeup like you have it now is better-suited to something with facial movements, anyway.  I can imagine all you need for him to react to is just like a little ball rolling into frame or a bee something--something simple and easy to animate, so you can put all your effort into this guy.

Hope this helps,
-Chris

Last edited by blakboks (06-27-2007 7:28 pm)

#4 06-28-2007 2:26 pm

Leefmc
Tipster
Karmojo: 23

hey thanks. As far as him reacting, i just had an idea and went with it. Didn't really care about that detail. I agree about the silhouettes aswell, thats something i have not really worked on much but i will.

As far as the proud pose question, when he is looking towards the camera (i try to make him never look directly into it, but i guess thats a matter of perspective), he is looking towards the object coming at him. The proud pose ends early on.

As for facial animation, eventually. I'm learning rigging as i go aswell. And any more progress on this guy is sort of held up as i figure out what my gimble problems are, got some gnarly flips.

Thanks for the comments smile

Board footer