#1 06-24-2007 6:42 pm

hector
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 39

Hector Antunez WIP

Hey everyone, here's the beginning of my first blocking pass on the line.  The set up will be a writer with writer's block trying to figure out how this line will finish up.  I'm trying to think of how to set that up before the animation actually starts, I was thinking of having the camera showing books that a writer might have and then panning to the way the shot is framed right now.  Right now she is facing her computer.  Let me know what you guys think! 

http://www.vimeo.com/clip:220575

#2 06-24-2007 10:19 pm

greg_marlow
Rockstar
Karmojo: 74

Re: Hector Antunez WIP

Sweet.  I like this.  You are taking a very different approach by making the "Life I have no wish to live" part a realization.  As if she is proud she has discovered why she is unhappy.  Its cool because it is showing a change in emotion.  She is going from confused > Understanding as opposed to going from sad > sadder, which is how I think most other people are viewing the audio. 

I am not going to give you much technical crit.  The only feedback I would have would be to push the "Understand" part.  I think it will be subtle but right now it is sort of reading as she is happy she is "living a life she has no wish to live".  I think instead she needs to be happy of her realization.  She has discovered the problem.  So maybe some movement in her head, possibly even a slight head shake.  And I think most importantly (and I know it is just in the blocking stages) have her eyes not focus on a single thing.  Think of when you have a eureka moment.  Suddenly the world doesn't exist and you are entirely inside your own head.  Thats how she would be at that moment.  She is not thinking of the person she is talking to, she is running all the info that has led her to this conclusion over and over in her head.  So I would imagine her eyes would be somewhat fidgety.  Not focusing on one thing.  I would also avoid blinks for a short time during the "realization".

I say all of the above while I think about a reference moment that I happen to have on video.  I was getting married in Vegas.  Just me, my wife, the preacher and Elvis.  The preacher had just been speaking for about a minute and I was listening intently.  But there is a moment in the video where the smile on my face droops and I go through some of the similar head and eye movements mentioned above.  Its when I realized the rings were not in my pocket.  big_smile  Luckily they were only a few feet behind me in my wifes purse.  Try to summon up an Ah Ha event in your life for reference.

Great work man.  I have high hopes for ya on this one.  Good Luck. 

Greg

Last edited by greg_marlow (06-24-2007 10:26 pm)

#3 06-25-2007 12:34 am

aja
Administrator
Karmojo: 35
Administrator

Greg's is an excellent critique, I agree with everything he said.  Plus I'd add that the main problem I have is that she has a broad smile so quickly, instead of a smile that gradually grows as she realizes she's found the right line.  Other than that I agree that this is a very strong start, and a cool interpretation I wouldn't have thought of.  Very nice!  smile

#4 06-30-2007 5:31 pm

Maligor
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 34

Awesome stuff you've there, the change of emotion is really great, I wish I've thought of this.

#5 07-02-2007 4:34 am

greg_marlow
Rockstar
Karmojo: 74

Im sad I didnt see you in the final voting.  I was excited about seeing how it turned out.

Greg

#6 07-02-2007 9:54 pm

hector
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 39

Yea same here.  Work has been hectic to say the least and I took last week off and went to Orlando for a few days.  I thought Id give it a shot and see how far I got but then I never got a chance to work on it while I was away and to top it off, I had no internet access!  I'll be working on it on and off for the next few weeks as sort of a side project to clear my head from the short film I'm working on for AM.  I'm glad you guys liked the idea, Ill be sure to keep posting as I work on it big_smile  Good luck with this month's entry!

Board footer