#1 06-20-2007 5:27 pm

3Dave
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 32

Cheese Lover

Hey everyone I was wondering, if you get a chance, if you wouldn't mind looking at my latest AM animation and offering up feedback:

Direct Link

We don't have full facial rigs yet, so there is no facial movement, other than eyelids and floppy jaw.

I have never animated until AM, and it's been a trying task, to say the least.  With this project, I got a lot of feedback saying that it was too stiff and felt too pose-to-pose currently.  So even though I've officially handed in my final version of the assignment, I've gone back in and started adjusting it more.

A couple of things I worry about...

Is it too floaty in spots?  Does it still look pose to pose?

After staring at it for so long, I can't even tell any longer, so I would appreciate any advice that you guys can offer.

Thank you!

You can check out my illustration and animation portfolio/blog at the link below!
3Dave.com

#2 06-21-2007 3:55 am

mayanimator
Upstanding Citizen

Re: Cheese Lover

Hi ,
I think only upper body moving there and why don't you push poses so It will look nice , also from moving one pose to another think about arc, anticipation, slow in and out , moving hold .....I hope this will help you some how ....acting look pretty good.... 
keep going....

#3 06-21-2007 6:37 pm

Rocoloco7
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 33

I think one thing you could really work on in this piece is the arcs.  Pay special attention to all the major body parts (wrists, elbows, fingers, head, etc) and be sure to make them all follow a smooth arc - its more natural and also more appealing. 
For example, one of the easiest places to see your arc problem is when he drops his screen right hand (3/4 of the way through), it kind of jumps.  Plot the points of the elbow, wrist, fingertips frame-by-frame and you'll notice its not a smooth drop to his side - almost jagged.  If you're working in FK, it's a little easier - but judging by the way the hands stay on the table during the shoulder shrug - you're in IK, which makes arcs a bit more difficult.

If you are in FK, you could try to solve the arc problem by working your way down the hierarchy, starting with cleaning up the shoulder rotations to make sure it makes the elbow arc clean, then cleaning up the elbow rotations in conjunction with shoulder rotations to make the wrist arc clean, etc.  And if you have rotations in the hips and chest, you would have started cleaning up there.  Always from the inside out, extremities last.

If you are in IK, it becomes more complicated because you have to get the translations of the Hand to follow an arc (sometimes requiring many many keyframes), AND also get it to look like its actually being driven by the shoulder and elbow, not inversely. 

Ok, so thats just for the arcs on the wrist.  You should plot the points on the nose as well, to make sure the head follows an arc.

Once you clean those things up it will be a lot more natural and much more appealing.  smile

Keep up the great work!

#4 06-25-2007 5:08 pm

Mythsnlore
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79

Hey 3Dave, for being a first timer, this is not bad at all! If you want to get a much more organic fluidity into your acting shots I'd advise you to get a video camera and act this out 30 times in front of it with props and everything. Really FEEL yourself needing to say these lines, BE the character and then review the video after and find a take you like to reference from. People are so random and complex, I feel it's usually the best way to go to act it out yourself.

#5 06-25-2007 5:35 pm

3Dave
Upstanding Citizen

Thanks to everyone for the comments.  I will take the advice and try and work on my shot over the current break that I'm on.  I'll post an update next weekend and give you guys a chance to take a look and see if I was paying attention!  wink

Thanks again!

You can check out my illustration and animation portfolio/blog at the link below!
3Dave.com

#6 06-25-2007 10:50 pm

vm
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 52

haaahahaha, very funny.
I think you should watch the head for jagged movement, and work some more on the lipsynch.

Virgil Mihailescu
www.virgil.weebly.com

#7 06-26-2007 3:40 am

Cheeto
Tipster
Karmojo: 29

Hey 3Dave,

Nice work man.  One thing I think you could work on is picking some accents to push a little more.  For example, the audio has an accent on "craving", but your animation doesn't really reflect that.  I think your overall action is natural, but when you listen to the audio, try to pick out the accents in each phrase so that you can contrast those poses a little more, exaggerate them more.  Those are the high points that need to jump out a little stronger than the rest.  Right now all of your action has about the same energy, and is pretty low key throughout.

Also, I think you could play with the head tilt on "allergy" (to me "allergy" is an accent in that phrase), so that it's more questioning.  Anything you can do to make that last pose feel like he's sincerely wondering if it's an allergy.  Shift his weight.  Lean forward or back, or to the side, or anything.  Remember Karri the babysitter in Jack Jack Attack?  "What does the S stand for?"  I'm not saying to copy what they do with her, just look at that as an example.  Think clear communicative poses smile

Keep up the hard work!

Kyle Mohr | Character Animator
www.kylemohr.com
http://kylemohr.blogspot.com

#8 07-27-2007 12:54 am

3Dave
Upstanding Citizen

Hi everyone!

Updated this sucker, so I thought I'd post it to see if I can get additional feedback.

Direct Link

Thank you!

3Dave.com

Board footer