#1 06-18-2007 7:14 pm

Mythsnlore
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79

Contest Blocking

Hey everyone, here's my very sparse blocking for the contest. So far there are very few poses and I need to work them over a bit more before moving on. Let me know if you think I'm going in the right direction!

http://www.vimeo.com/clip:216001

#2 06-18-2007 10:38 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Re: Contest Blocking

Hey Mythsnlore,

Looks good, a bit early for any crits I think except I think you could bring the shoulders down for the last pose.  Would add a bit to that I think instead of leaving them up.  Otherwise, you've got a good idea going there, I look forward to seeing it develop.  Are you going to add hair:)

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#3 06-18-2007 11:39 pm

hobbie_21
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 53

Yup!  Agreed!  A bit early for crits, but it is a good start!  Not a whole lot of movement overall and thats good for this sound clip!

Last edited by hobbie_21 (06-18-2007 11:40 pm)

#4 06-19-2007 1:34 am

aja
Administrator
Karmojo: 35
Administrator

Nice!  Great take on the audio.  The business with the hair-brushing is going to be a lot of fun.  I love what you're doing with the facial expressions, great use of the lids and brows! 

Like Ryan said, watch the shoulders, definitely when she does the big exhale, and also when she's reaching across her body or pulling her arm behind her, the shoulder should drive the arm's motion. 

I think you have room for a final pose/gesture at the end, on "wish to live".  The current final pose works great for "a life", but I'm not buying that she'd hold that strained expression/pose for so long.  She sounds to me like she's trying to convince someone with the end of that line, maybe she could lean in closer and shake her head a little to emphasize it to her reflection?  Or drop her eyes and head away from the mirror, in the direction of someone standing behind her?  Or something completely different.  smile 

This is a really solid start, let us know when you've got a new pass!

#5 06-19-2007 7:26 am

Mythsnlore
Rockstar

Wow thanks a lot guys! Yeah I'll definitly polish those shoulders some more and I've also planned to do a couple more poses after the final one I have which is intended as the extreme of the word "life." I'm thinking about a softer ending maybe appealing to the relection or the camera. We'll see what feels right.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, I have no idea how to add hair to the model or modify it to be more female, so I decided to go for more of a mime approach and use gestures and posture for feminimity. *shrug*

I'll be sure to post up the final blocking as soon as I have it. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Mythsnlore (06-19-2007 7:34 am)

#6 06-21-2007 2:36 am

heklopez
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 36

Yup, nice start. Are you a student at the Academy of Art?

#7 06-21-2007 7:30 pm

Mythsnlore
Rockstar

I attend the Art Institute actually, it's my first year in the program.

#8 06-22-2007 3:50 am

im2dguy
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 56

nlore, this is looking great!
carefull, pose three and four rotate right on the right shoulder,
maybe translate the root some to avoid that.
(and by maybe, I mean --trying that might work, so do that.)
Keep on posing!!

#9 06-22-2007 6:07 am

Mythsnlore
Rockstar

Hahaha, thanks a lot Brad, I'll post up my progress soon!

#10 06-22-2007 7:29 am

Mythsnlore
Rockstar

Here's my second blocking pass with revisions. Thanks for all the input guys, keep it comming!

http://www.vimeo.com/clip:219033

#11 06-22-2007 10:11 am

aaroncmt
Rockstar
Karmojo: 76
Productive!

Not bad.  Not much in there to really critique at this stage.  First half is good.  The lean into the mirror feels weak.  Maybe if she turned around and said that last line to the camera?  Don no  idea came to mind as I thought about it... Nice setting.

Kiwi Animator

#12 06-23-2007 12:17 am

alexzemke
Helper
Karmojo: 19

Obviously in the early stages, but what's there is looking pretty strong! Good poses, very earnest. And I like your staging choice, with your character looking into the mirror. Looking good, keep it up!

Alex Zemke

"Sleep is for dead people!"

#13 06-23-2007 1:50 pm

aja
Administrator
Administrator

I like where you're going with this, but I think you may be moving into a splines a bit too early here (something I did for a long time!).  It's looking very swimmy because there aren't enough poses set to keep the computer from just swimming everything around. 

A rule of thumb I like to use is to not move out of stepped until I have my blocking down to about every 3-4 frames.  That way, when I do start to spline, I have more control over how the motion is working, and the computer can't run willy-nilly with it.  Keith Lango has a great tutorial up on the importance of good breakdowns here:  http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/ove … erlap.html  It's more about overlap, but his thoughts on getting things right in the breakdown poses are excellent.

#14 06-25-2007 4:48 pm

Mythsnlore
Rockstar

Thanks for the great advice guys, I really appreciate it! What I was trying to do was work in linear so that I can sort of see where my poses are going inbetween and then put keys down inbetween and move them to a better breakdown possition. I'll definitly not move to splined until I have my keys down to 3 or 4 as you said.

Here's just a little more progress with moved poses and a few more keys for slightly better motion. Far from finished with my blocking, but now that I look at it again after reading your comments, I wonder if I might be going down the wrong road... Well I'll just have to keep at it!

http://www.vimeo.com/clip:221013

#15 06-26-2007 1:43 pm

im2dguy
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 56

nice work. coming along.
I think the right shoulder would be more involved in the hand drop on 'liffe'.
great job...

#16 06-26-2007 6:38 pm

Cheeto
Tipster
Karmojo: 29

Yeah, I prefer to work on stepped until I'm on 4's and 2's if I can (and have time), because it gives me more control over the timing and breakdowns.  I also suggest reading Keith Lango's tutorial wink  The hard thing about posting blocking is that in order to get the best feedback, the blocking has to be very successful at communicating your timing and overall feel of the end product.

The one thing I wanna comment on right now is that the middle part, when she switches her hand to the other ear, is a little confusing.  I think you have an extra head tilt that doesn't need to be there, on "to live in".  She tilts her head right, then left, then right again.  I think you can take the left tilt out, just keep the head to one side as she brings her hand to her other ear.  Make sense?

Anyway, I may comment more as you keep goin wink  Keep up the hard work!

Kyle Mohr | Character Animator
www.kylemohr.com
http://kylemohr.blogspot.com

#17 06-27-2007 4:00 am

khet13
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 31

Nice!
IMO i think instead of having the character turn around and look at the camera, you could have her stroke the mirror and look at the camera through the reflection of the mirror?

#18 06-29-2007 9:04 pm

Mythsnlore
Rockstar

Here's my latest progress. It's feeling alright to me but I know to plan better next time. Thanks for all your support and crits, they help a lot!

Direct Link

#19 06-30-2007 3:55 am

Mythsnlore
Rockstar

Alright guys bad news, my computer has broken and I can't submit my video file to the site, or even get to it to finish up. I'd still love to be in on the contest but I'm afraid that since I can't submit the video file I'll have to drop out, sorry guys. I'll definitely do the contest next month though. Good luck everyone!

#20 06-30-2007 11:30 am

aja
Administrator
Administrator

Oh bummer!  Darn computers.  If you want, I can grab the latest one on Vimeo and post it manually, it's already looking pretty darn good!  Let me know, and good luck getting your computer fixed!  smile

Board footer