#1 08-30-2007 12:14 am

blakboks
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

blakboks - WIP - "...I Got Robbed..."

Hey all,
I'm in dire need of some help.  I have my WIP posted over at CGTalk as well, but I'm not getting much in the way of feedback.  So, I'm hoping I the folks over here might be more interested (since this is an animation-only forum).

So, here's the animation in its current state:

Direct Link

I know it's needing a lot of work--I know it's not demo-reel quality yet--I just can't put my finger on the exact bits and pieces.

I've only done the eyes and brows until about frame 80, so if they seem a little lack-luster and vacant afterwards, that'd be why.

Well, anyway, I'd appreciate anything anyone has to offer.

Thanks in advance,
-Chris

P.S.  If anyone is curious of progress made with the animation or comments made along the way, feel free to check out my WIP thread over on CGTalk.com:  http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread. … &pp=15

#2 08-30-2007 1:22 am

Jamio
Tipster
Karmojo: 21

Re: blakboks - WIP - "...I Got Robbed..."

It looks good so far, but I don't know what others might say. In the middle of the animation when the guy in the red taps his foot, it looked kind of dead. I know it's in the blocking stage, but if you put some emotion in that area it would get somewhere. No offense, but I felt kind of lost.
Also, towards the end when the red guy stands on the chair, that pose looks like the chair will slip right out from under him if you consider where the weight is going. It would be hilarious if you did make that happen in the end.
Other than this, I think it's ok so far. Keep up the good work. Hope you don't get too upset by my comments.

#3 08-30-2007 1:46 am

DharAM
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Good choice of sound clip. Hard to tell with blocking, however, I remember watching Brad Bird in the making of Ratatouille and how much he hated that cliche gesture of "awesome" (that pulling the train whistle cable gesture). I think you're better off finding a different, more interesting, original gesture?

My 2 cents smile

"Technology doesn't make the motion picture, people do. You're not an animator just because you can move an object from point A to point B. (You're) someone who breathes life into a character, which is something the software and technology can't give you."

- John Lasseter

#4 08-30-2007 1:53 am

blakboks
Upright Citizen

Hey Jamio,
Thanks for the comments!  I'm not at all put-off by them.  They're exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.  Besides, it's not like it's an attack on me at all.  It's an honest criticism of the animation.

I'll admit, I've kind of known for a while that the middle section really lacks.  I've just been avoiding it to work on the other parts, which are a little more fun and challenging.  (Although, people often say that holds are some of the toughest things to do...)

I agree with you about the end...him falling would be very funny.  Unfortunately, I'm working on this for my demo reel, and I know I'm going to be unemployed by the end of the month (Sept.) with no other work yet lined up.  So, I'd like to finish what I have first, and then add that touch further-on down the line.  I'm not throwing the idea out of the window.  I just want to get the rest looking beautiful first, because I can imagine that might be a somewhat time-consuming thing to animate.

Thanks again,
-Chris

#5 08-30-2007 3:16 am

blakboks
Upright Citizen

Hey DharAM,
I remember hearing something like that as well.  I thought it was the "W" pose, though.  I believe he said that animators use the "W" pose all the time, but we never use it in real life.  And he acted it out to show how ridiculous it looks for a person to do it.  (maybe I'm making this up, or maybe this was an entirely different case, and he said both, though)  Either way, I was very careful not to use the "W" pose exactly, though.

I'd intended for the "pump" to be slower and more deliberate--it's actually something my friends and I do.  I think it originally came from Napoleon Dynamite, except he was MUCH more subtle about it (when he says "yessss").  However, inspired by your comment, I think I could push it more to seem at least less-generic.

Thank you very much for the feedback!

-Chris

edit:  P.S. It's kind of funny, if you look at my first pass blocking of the animation from back in April, I originally went with something (I thought) less cliched, although it didn't work as well as I think this does: 

Direct Link

It's no excuse, but even though I've been doing CG for several years now, I haven't been doing character animation all that long, and I'm still unaware of what all the cliches are.  One thing I've learned from this project--better planning, and use more reference material (I pretty much used none).

Last edited by blakboks (08-30-2007 4:02 am)

Board footer