#1 11-03-2017 7:16 am

Slothsin
Power Voter

Cinematography in animation

Hey everyone! I have seen many animations and felt like camera work does effect the animation shot a lot. I want to know more about the camera work in animation. Is it different from the camera work in movies? Can anyone suggest me any books or articles to know about the topic more? Thanks in advance! smile

#2 11-03-2017 11:19 am

ten_thousand_hours
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 55
Power Voter

Re: Cinematography in animation

You are working on a showreel for animation at the moment right? My advise to anyone making a showreel is KEEP THE CAMERA SIMPLE. Unless you are confident about how cinematography works, i would try and use static cameras that do not distract from your animation (which is what employers really want to see) If its a conversation between 2 people, over the shoulder cameras work well. Try to avoid side on cameras, 3/4 view is much more appealing and will show the animation off better. If its an action shot, a wide shot that shows the whole body would be preferable. You want people to be watching your beautiful animation so don't distract from that. Good Luck

#3 11-03-2017 2:42 pm

Slothsin
Power Voter

Re: Cinematography in animation

ten_thousand_hours wrote:

You are working on a showreel for animation at the moment right? My advise to anyone making a showreel is KEEP THE CAMERA SIMPLE. Unless you are confident about how cinematography works, i would try and use static cameras that do not distract from your animation (which is what employers really want to see) If its a conversation between 2 people, over the shoulder cameras work well. Try to avoid side on cameras, 3/4 view is much more appealing and will show the animation off better. If its an action shot, a wide shot that shows the whole body would be preferable. You want people to be watching your beautiful animation so don't distract from that. Good Luck

Thanks Ten..first of all I don't know what to call you big_smile I wasn't going to animate the camera, it was just for study purposes. And thanks a lot for the camera tips I will definitely put them in use, your feedback and suggestions are a great help. smile

final question.. Tell me what should I call you? big_smile

Board footer