#1 10-12-2017 4:03 am

undecided

Dropping out of College?

Different kind of topic I guess but I don't know where else I should go. So a little back story, at the moment, I am a sophomore in a 4 year college in the U.S. majoring in animation. My school does not have the best animation program but I chose it because they gave me the most money, had a really nice campus, was close to home (but not too close), and had other programs in the school that were really good. I think I also just wanted to have that classic college experience of dorming, partying, etc. I didn't mind that their animation program wasn't the best but I thought that it didn't matter what school you go to and that if you work hard enough you can go above and beyond. Not saying that isn't true but the program wasn't challenging or rigorous enough to satisfy me. After my freshman year, I thought about transferring but by then it was too late anyway and I would have to wait for Spring semester. THEN, during the summer, I had a little freak out thinking that I wasn't going to be getting financial aid for the upcoming year so I started searching for alternative solutions which lead me to Animschool. I ended up taking a class over the summer just to see and I loved it. The teachers were great and I learned so much just in one term. The financial aid situation got cleared up but I still wanted to continue with the online school. So my thought process was that I would just do both. I knew my parents would be completely against me dropping out so I didn't even think about that option. I wasn't paying much for regular college anyway so I thought that dropping out of college would be a waste. However, now I feel like I should be focusing all my energy on animating. This semester I ended up taking mostly filler classes and wasn't able to get into even one animation class due to a terrible enrollment time. I just feel like I'm wasting money at this point and I'm rethinking why I am in 2 schools. However, I have made a lot of friends here and love the campus life. I know that I'm going to miss it a lot and even during the summer, I hated staying at home. I am a lot freer here and honestly a looott less stressed even while being in 2 schools than I was back home. I also know that if I do drop out, I would get a job but other than going to work, I would be cooped up at home most of the time which I hate. I also don't have a car and my town doesn't have a lot of places to go that is walking distance. I guess the only thing I can think of is going to New York City which is about 30min away by bus. I know I can handle being in all these classes but at the same time, I know that Animschool gets a lot harder in later classes and I would need to give it my all. If you actually ended up reading all of this I really appreciate it and any kind of advice would help. I genuinely have no idea what to do and this problem is basically all I think about.

#2 10-12-2017 6:17 am

Slothsin
Power Voter

Re: Dropping out of College?

I cant help you out or give any advice on what you should do or not but if both of your schools are just about animating.. then why aren't you animating hmm
I waited 7 years after my school so that i was financially strong enough to pay for animation classes. I am 24 now and did a totally different job and got a degree in BCA but finally had enough money to pay for the animation classes.. I left my job and started taking classes.. even the programs aren't that good in our country still I wanted to take a grasp of how to start animating.. I don't understand what is confusing you.. take out time to animate.. that's it!
Sort out your priorities.. list them out and see what you want the most.. and your answer should be animation smile

#3 10-12-2017 1:51 pm

undecided

This semester I had a poor enrollment date and wasn't able to get into the classes I wanted. I ended up taking a bunch of other classes that filled up other requirements in order for me to graduate but the whole thing just frustrated me. I am trying to animate in my free time and thats what I've been doing for my online classes. Animation is my priority but what's confusing me is I feel like I have to choose one or the other. I don't pay a lot for both schools but its getting harder to pay with just my part time job.

#4 10-12-2017 2:03 pm

undecided

idk. Maybe this is just a really dumb problem that I'm having where its hard to relate to but I just thought I would ask for some advice since i was having a hard time deciding what to do. hmm

#5 10-12-2017 3:13 pm

Slothsin
Power Voter

opt for what's improving your skill.. one school must be better than the other.. from what I read one consists of your friends and memories that's why you are having a hard time choosing.. that's what I meant by sorting out your priorities smile choose what will allow you to grow..

#6 10-13-2017 4:49 pm

fusedgore

Improving your skill has very little to do with school .They can show you the tools and inspire you to be an artist but at the end of the day its on you to animate model or whatever and to be the best you can be .I didnt go to art school .I got a few degrees in other areas but I spent countless hours modeling ,rigging ,textureing and rendering ,When I say countless hours it was like 15-18 hour days .Thats no joke . if this is what you want to do then its the only thing you want should do .

My question to you would be if you want to animate then why arent you animating stuff or enetering competitions or doing shorts with people ?The only thing that makes the good from the best is time put in.

Unless someone like YOU cares a whole awfult lot ,nothing is going to get better .Its not -The Lorax

#7 10-14-2017 5:20 pm

undecided

To answer your question, I am trying my best to animate during my free time. I joined a newly built club here at my school where we create an animated short each year and along with that I'm trying to learn everything I can about animating. Like you said, the only thing that makes the good from the best is the time you put in but I have five other classes as well as a job and other responsibilities. Not saying that I don't have days where I don't have anything to do, but its hard for me to find a lot of free time. I agree with your statement that improving your skills has little to do with school and I commend you for spending so much time each day improving those skills. Maybe I just haven't been working hard enough. I am definitely passionate about animating and I know that is something I want to do in the future but I can't say that that is the only thing I want to do. My passion first started with traditional fine art and that is something I want to continue doing but I also want to explore many other things apart from fine arts or animation. I thought that was the whole point of being young and going to college. Going to a college such as min gives me the freedom to explore different subjects and spend time exploring them. Thank you for taking your time to read my post and giving me your input. I really do appreciate it.

#8 10-14-2017 6:05 pm

fusedgore

undecided wrote:

I am definitely passionate about animating and I know that is something I want to do in the future but I can't say that that is the only thing I want to do. .

if this is what you want to do it has to be ,outside other stuff .Its just that simple .Thats the only reason i am where I am today in my skill set .Because I not only worked but I put that much time in outside work .I didn't do much else for a long time .Its all about sacrifice and time spent doing what you love.People would also say that if your not getting paid to do it then your wrong .BS ,This isnt about money you have to truly love it ,love it more than anything else .Just look at the link below .I spent more time modeling,rigging,lighting,texturing ,rendering,studying art and creation than probably most people .I still spend hours and hours and hours honing my crafts because as an artist I love it that much .Its the greatest profession in the world.How can anyone disagree we get to play with toys and cartoons everyday. We get to put a smile on so many peoples faces theres no pay that can equal that.

https://tutsplus.com/authors/shaun-keenan

Unless someone like YOU cares a whole awfult lot ,nothing is going to get better .Its not -The Lorax

#9 10-15-2017 4:03 am

undecided

So ultimately what you are saying is practice in your free time which is what I said I am doing in my earlier post. I never said I wasnt animating at all. I do try my best to practice in my free time, its just that I don't have a lot of it. That doesn’t mean I don’t absolutely love it though. Whenever I would do an assignment I would spend many nights polishing and perfecting it as much as possible. Its the only thing I can do even all throughout the night that won’t make me bored or tired. Frustrating at times maybe, but I wouldnt trade it for anything else. But you are right. It is all about sacrifice. Your passion and dedication is definitely inspirational.

#10 10-15-2017 3:18 pm

fusedgore

All i can say really is watch this and you tell me what cant be done.  https://vimeo.com/94502406  All animated by one guy.

#11 10-16-2017 11:31 am

Slothsin
Power Voter

if you work so hard then you are already on the right track.. smile
worrying for no reason i guess.. and i would like to see some of your work too !

Board footer