#1 09-18-2017 11:13 pm

Sharkhead

Maya Spline Curve Problem

So i'm having this kinda of problem for a long time, but this is the first time i'm actually trying to figure it out. Basically, when i select my controls and apply Spline in the Graph Editor, sometimes i get weird results like in this image here:

https://imgur.com/a/dClHd

See her elbow changing the value at the frame 41? Thats the problem, because i don't want that but maya keeps doing these crazy results. It always happens when theres 1 frame of distance from one pose to another... Hands, head, elbow, even legs does changes crazy values for one frame, and then get back to normal.... WTH?

#2 09-19-2017 11:31 am

KyleG
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 38

Re: Maya Spline Curve Problem

what does the graph editor looks like for this control during this time?

Kyle Kenworthy
My Blog
My Class

#3 09-19-2017 1:40 pm

Sharkhead

For this control, i chose another frame that happens the same problem. I kinda corrected this problem of the frame 41, but this is another example in the same control, same problem, but in another frame:

https://imgur.com/a/IuWcC

So i have to manually all the times do these weird corrections, don't know why.... Its weird because this problem always happens 1 frame before the other pose. For example if i have a pose at frame 40, and my other pose is at frame 50, if i Spline, this problem will happen at the frame 49. Could be in the elbows, hands, head, arms, i don't know, but one of these will create this problem...

Its not always 1 frame before another pose, but yes its kinda constantly happening...

Last edited by Sharkhead (09-19-2017 1:42 pm)

#4 09-19-2017 1:52 pm

Sharkhead

https://imgur.com/a/qe3bB

This is another example. Frame 66, hands ok. Frame 67, hands go up for no reason after applying Spline. Frame 68, hands ok again. So instead of the hands just going down, as i'd like it to be, it goes up, and then down. Is this a maya 2016 bug? i wonder..

#5 09-20-2017 1:52 pm

KyleG
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 38

well...according the the graph editor picture its not happening for no reason...its happening because there is a key there that is moving the controller over 1 frame - are you 100% confident this key was not present when you were blocking?

Kyle Kenworthy
My Blog
My Class

#6 09-21-2017 4:28 am

gurucoolanuj

Select the curve and apply euler filter
Check your rotation value on frame 41 and 43
Its arise most of the times becase their is lot of difference gap between values

#7 09-22-2017 3:03 am

Sharkhead

KyleG wrote:

well...according the the graph editor picture its not happening for no reason...its happening because there is a key there that is moving the controller over 1 frame - are you 100% confident this key was not present when you were blocking?

Yes i'm 100% sure that theres not a key in there, and for a reason it does this movement, changing rotation values that i don't want. But anyway, looks like applying Euler Filter solved my problem.

gurucoolanuj wrote:

Select the curve and apply euler filter
Check your rotation value on frame 41 and 43
Its arise most of the times becase their is lot of difference gap between values

Thanks, i absolutely forgot about this Euler filter. I selected my controllers, then i select all the curves in Graph Editor and applied Euler Filter. The problem was gone.

Thanks guys for the answers!

#8 09-22-2017 1:16 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Curse you gimble!!!!   /Raises fist in frustration:D

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

Board footer