#1 09-18-2017 1:09 pm

MD Animation
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 49
Productive!

Showreel looking for employment

Hey everyone! Have been a part of this competition for many years now. Am in desperate need of employment and have recently updated my passport, so if there is any companies who would consider my animation services, I would love to hear from you!

Direct Link

#2 09-18-2017 10:58 pm

Krios
Power Voter

Re: Showreel looking for employment

Good looking demo.  Best of luck with the job-hunt mate!

#3 09-21-2017 6:00 am

MD Animation
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 49
Productive!

Cheers Krios, really appreciate it champ! 😊😊

#4 09-21-2017 1:18 pm

Arterial Tree
Celebrity
Karmojo: 68

Hi MD

I don’t know if you’re looking for any feedback on your reel, but I’m going to write down some notes just in case they are helpful. I am approaching this as though your reel is aimed at getting that first animation job. When it comes to getting that fourth or fifth job, then my advice might be a bit different. But anyway, feel free to ignore everything I say as this is just my opinion. (My comments are going to be mainly about the structure of the reel itself rather than critiquing the animation).

1. Try to keep the reel short and punchy. Aim for between 45 seconds to a minute of animation (plus 5 seconds of title card at the beginning and then maybe 10 seconds at the end). At the moment you have about one and a half minutes of animation and I think this can be trimmed down a fair bit. Keep in mind that, as they say, your reel is only as good as your worst piece. So try to showcase only the absolute best pieces you have.

2. Title cards -  I’d recommend just having your name and details and remove the image of the two old men. The poses and character designs you have aren’t as appealing as they could be and they don’t have a clear, direct expression. So to me, they don’t add to your reel but rather they just invite me to critique your posing from the get go, and that’s perhaps not the best start. So, I’d say keep the title cards clean and clear and without the posed characters.

3. In my opinion, the squirrel with the acorn is your best shot. It’s snappy, entertaining and you’ve given the character some personality and communicated his thought process nice and clearly. So this shot should be right up front. If anything, I would trim the end of the shot. Just leave him hanging upside down smiling at the camera. The action where the branch breaks isn’t as strong as everything that came before it.

4. The Red and Blue ball shot -  I’m not 100% sure about this, but I think I would remove this from the reel altogether. It’s nicely animated but when watching reels, seeing bouncing balls kind of screams ‘amateur’ to me and therefore feels like filler. I don’t really know what a bouncing ball shot says to a viewer either. Bouncing ball exercises are for learning the principles and everything in your reel should already demonstrate that you know the principles. So, to me, a bouncing ball shot is kind of superfluous.

5. Floating robot - Again, a nice shot, but because the robot is floating, it feels a bit like a cheat because it’s a pantomime shot without any mechanics. In addition, there’s not a lot of personality to the robot and you’re not really showing a strong sense of weight either. If you look at EVE in WALL-E you can see how she floats up and down very subtly with the slightest overlap in her head. This sells the idea that her floating is acting against the pull of gravity. So all in all, I think this shot can be removed from the reel.

6. The first-person shooter shot is very good. Maybe put this second or third in your reel as I think a lot of game companies would look upon it favorably. I think all of the action could be snappier, but I’m not suggesting you reanimate it. Just rather, in future, when animating this kind of shot, remember that the actions need to be fast, yet clear and readable. You have to keep the response time and the player’s immersion in mind.

7. Dialog shots - If you had to remove any of them, I would remove the old men shot at the end. The mechanics aren’t as strong as they could be, particularly on the car thief. In addition, I would be careful when rendering these shots with such a shallow depth of field. Except for the first shot (with the two car-mechanics) the image is very soft and I can’t quite see where the focus point is. This issue becomes even more apparent when viewing your reel full screen in 1080p.

So in the end, my suggested order would be: Squirrel, Car Mechanics, First-Person Shooter, Men at the bar. That probably adds up to around 45 to 50 seconds of animation.

One thing that I would love to see on your reel is an acting shot that doesn’t use 11 Second Club audio. Kudos for being so involved and having the energy and dedication to enter the competition so often. However, I find having the audio chosen for you by the 11 Second Club can be very restrictive and can force you into making choices you otherwise wouldn’t. In addition, the competition limits the amount of time you can put into the piece. So instead, I would recommend finding a 5-8 second audio piece and animating a single character who displays a change of emotion. And then really go all in and nail the acting and the mechanics. Film reference, then study it and try to get as much feedback throughout the process as possible. Keep the shot simple and do your best to animate a ‘demo reel’ piece.

Overall, I think you have a decent reel which could indeed land you an animation job. But I also think you have the potential to take your work to the next level and produce a killer reel.

All the best!

Last edited by Arterial Tree (09-21-2017 1:19 pm)

Board footer