#1 09-14-2017 10:45 pm

FoonyMoose

Is using tutorials for personal/school projects cheating?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, or if it's even a good question, but here goes:

I'm taking a class in college which is basically a workshop in which I must produce a number of 3D animations (walk/run cycles, idle, action shots, etc.) and hand them over to my supervising professor for crits until they are good enough to put them in my demo reel. I started by the end of August.

So far I've only done a walk cycle, a run cycle and a idle. Right now I'm working on an action shot. However, I've done thise projects with the help of tutorials that I watched and replicated step by step. I'm subscribed to Digital Tutors/Pluralsight.

I talked to my professor about this, and he thinks that imitating is a good way to learn, so he doesn't see it as cheating. Even so, I still feel like a hack for relying on tutorials and not learning the proper way. To overcome this, I watched the tutorials again and then tried to make the walk/run cycles without any hand-holding.

What do you guys think?

#2 09-15-2017 12:39 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

Re: Is using tutorials for personal/school projects cheating?

replicating the shot can be a good exercise. for demo purposes, you could be called out for it, if you put it in. this will cause people to doubt all your ideas and maybe prevent you from being hired.

At the same time, I am aware of good animators, in senior positions, who have ''copied'' work/exercises in their reels.

#3 09-15-2017 12:56 am

zethicus
Celebrity
Karmojo: 66

I think as long as you're learning it's ok. An instructor at iAnimate once suggested we try to recreate shots from animated movies as case studies. It's great for learning but I wouldn't put it in my reel or in actual work.

I unfortunately know an animator who copied a beautiful hand gesture from a well-known movie and put it in his own shot for a completely different movie. It's not a known case but he got very bad rep from the other animators.

Practice however you want though!

Try to do all the exercises they talk about on the Animator's Survival Kit, and check out lists like these:

http://www.animatorisland.com/51-great- … to-master/

Practice makes you better for sure!

-Zeth

#4 09-15-2017 1:41 pm

FoonyMoose

thelittlepenguin84 wrote:

replicating the shot can be a good exercise. for demo purposes, you could be called out for it, if you put it in. this will cause people to doubt all your ideas and maybe prevent you from being hired.

At the same time, I am aware of good animators, in senior positions, who have ''copied'' work/exercises in their reels.

If I modify my walk/run cycles and idle enough (changing the poses, timing, spacing, etc. a little bit), would it still be a bad idea to put them in my demo reel?

Also, I forgot to mention it, I will apply to the Game Animation's introduction workshop at iAnimate. Judging from my actual demo reel, do you guys think this is good enough for application at the school?

#5 09-15-2017 3:37 pm

zethicus
Celebrity
Karmojo: 66

FoonyMoose wrote:

thelittlepenguin84 wrote:

If I modify my walk/run cycles and idle enough (changing the poses, timing, spacing, etc. a little bit), would it still be a bad idea to put them in my demo reel?

Also, I forgot to mention it, I will apply to the Game Animation's introduction workshop at iAnimate. Judging from my actual demo reel, do you guys think this is good enough for application at the school?

How iAnimate works is you send them your demo reel and they tell you what workshop suits you level-wise. I got into Workshop 2 of the Feature Animation course when I applied and I did workshops 2 through 4. I still want to do 5 though.

-Zeth

Board footer