#1 08-04-2017 5:15 am

MIKENTNZ

Updated reel - Feedback welcomed

I updated my reel a bit. Mostly really subtle things like timing and some posing of the animations. I took out the walk cycle I used to have and replaced it with a walk and run cycle using the steward rig. I also replaced my last animation in the reel with a new, but old, animation I did when I started animating. It's not finished as you'll be able to tell, but I put it in there because it gets laughs by most people that watch it. Like always, any feedback is welcomed and thank you for taking time out of your days to watch my demo reel.

Direct Link

#2 08-19-2017 4:58 pm

jay-ay

Re: Updated reel - Feedback welcomed

Technical wise, there's a lot of room to improve. Timing and weight are the ones that I feel are lacking the most in your animation. In most of these shots, the timing of the actions are quite slow and draggy; for example, the first axe shot doesn't need him to step backwards into position, unless you intended it to be a game attack cycle. If that's the case, then the timing of the actions need to be very snappy and quick. The kick and axe swinging actions are all too slow and don't have enough power behind them.

As for the second clip, it started off very promising. The timing of the spear was great, it was quick and it had power behind it. But then it took forever for the guy to react to the wound, he just stood there wobbling for a long time before collapsing. I think for this shot, I as the audience feel cheated. I thought that there would be a cool reaction to the spear, like maybe he would get angry and pluck the spear out and throw it back at the enemy, but all he did was collapse from an arm wound. It seems excessive and dramatic.

I could go on and comment on every single piece in this reel, but it would get very long, because frankly your fundamentals are not there yet and the same problems are there in every shot. Do keep practising and studying the fundamental exercises like bouncing ball, flour sack, etc. Because your foundation is the most important to get right. Study the Animator's Survival Kit. Choose pieces of animation work that you admire, and go through them frame by frame. Study what makes that animation look good. If you have to, try and copy someone's walk cycle animation for your study purposes and see if that helps you break things down and understand how it works.

Also, as a demoreel, this is far too long. I actually feel like your last shot with the dialogue is the most eyecatching and entertaining piece. If you want to send this reel out for work purposes, I would recommend actually putting that shot as the first one. It grabs attention and makes me think that there's more to look forward to, rather than putting a lot of subpar animation that doesn't keep me interested at all. If I get bored watching the first few shots, I will not bother watching the whole thing. I think that you can remove some of the pieces in the middle: the dinosaur one is weak, and if you don't have the human animation done right, there's not much use doing creature animation when you're not ready. Also I think the car push animation is stronger than the football animations, and it deserves to be shown earlier in the video.

I'm sorry that I sound very harsh. Please realise that I'm not trying to squash your confidence or break you down. The reality is that you need to really get your foundation right before creating a long demoreel that will not keep the audience watching. Practice, practice, practice the basic animation exercises. You are diligent in creating many different animations and for that, I respect you. I would recommend trying the 51 animation exercises if you don't know where to begin polishing your animation.

http://www.animatorisland.com/51-great- … to-master/

#3 08-25-2017 3:29 am

MIKENTNZ

Thanks for the feedback. This is actually one of the harshest critiques I've ever received and to be honest I really appreciate it. It's hard to know what needs to be worked on when feedback is sugar coated. I understand that learning how to respond to feedback is part of the process so thank you. I will keep on working on my animation skills and will post as often as I can. Thanks for taking the time out to look at my work.

#4 08-25-2017 3:40 pm

jay-ay

Hey man, I was just rereading my comment a couple days ago and I did realise then that I came off unnecessarily harsh. I was hoping that you replied so I could gauge the severity of my comment, and I would like to apologise regardless of the fact that you took this all very sportingly. I'm sorry, and I will work on my way of delivering constructive criticism, because it need not be this tactless. I'm glad and relieved that you're open minded and willing to give me benefit of the doubt, and that I have not discouraged you over this. Thanks for teaching me a lesson, too. Your graciousness and determination humbles me. All the best on your reel!

Last edited by jay-ay (08-25-2017 3:42 pm)

Board footer