#1 05-22-2017 8:28 am

coalakola

Malcolm: Mental Ray issue <Solved>

Hi, I''m trying to render the Malcolm rig with Mental Ray in Maya 2017, but it seems that it has some issues I cant figure out. I looked into the mesh Attributes > Render Stats and everything seems good.
I tried to put his material on a simple object, and that rendered in both Mental Ray(bot image) and Maya Software(top image) render. Render images: http://imgur.com/bBhaJ1j
Anyone has this issues? Do I need to change the materials into Mental Ray materials, or there is a Mental Ray version I can download?

#2 05-22-2017 1:25 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Re: Malcolm: Mental Ray issue <Solved>

I would check and make sure the face normals are facing the correct direction.  If that doesn't solve it, I will look into it a bit more.  But I think that might get you where you need to be.  Mental ray can render maya nodes just fine so no need to go in and replace those with MR nodes.

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#3 05-23-2017 5:49 am

coalakola

Heya, so I tried rendering in Maya 2016 mental ray it works fine. However I think I found the problem. When I pulled out the mesh from the groups I was able to render it. So I checked the Malcolm rig and found layerLocatorShapes under attribute editor when clicked on main Malcolm in the outliner, there is a Drawing Override Options tab where I unchecked the "Enable Overrides" box and that seems to fix the problem.

#4 05-23-2017 1:09 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Glad you got it figured out and thanks for posting the solution here.  I might rename the thread so it's a little more clear.

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

Board footer