#1 02-14-2017 11:51 pm

lelostrzal

FEB 2017 WIP - Lelo Strzal

Hi,
This is my first attempt here. I'm new to animation and I have been doing an online course on 3D animation using Blender. I'm still doing basic stuff but challenged myself on trying this month's competition as an incentive to improve my skills.

There are tons of things I need to do still, but I wanted to show you guys my work in progress:

Direct Link

RIG: CG Cookie Flex Rig

It took me around 3 hour just to set this up. I don't expect to have an excellent animation by the end of the month but I hope that I can still finish it. That's my main goal for now.

I welcome feedback. ^^

Last edited by lelostrzal (02-16-2017 12:07 am)

#2 02-15-2017 11:48 pm

lelostrzal

Re: FEB 2017 WIP - Lelo Strzal

Hi,
I made some improvements today to my blocking. I added some background and started to show a little bit of the "story" I'm trying to tell.
"A straw in a bottle!"

Direct Link

What do you guys think?

Last edited by lelostrzal (02-16-2017 12:07 am)

#3 02-16-2017 8:40 am

snuffymcsnuff

It'd serve you really well to pose out the hands as well as you're using them a lot in your acting here. Generally you'll want the whole body posed out in blocking to avoid having the limbs feel 'detached' from the rest of the body (and also because it's easier to give feedback on poses that way). Nice start though smile

#4 02-17-2017 1:02 am

lelostrzal

Hi snuffymcsnuff, thank you for your feedback, it helped me a lot. I actually didn't know what to do with the hands at the time, so I filmed myself acting to the audio and payed more attention to the hands and then I did a lot of tweaking to the poses in general. I'm still not happy with the result of the blocking but I am still learning. ^^

Here is the result of today's work:

Direct Link

#5 02-18-2017 10:44 pm

lelostrzal

So today I started with the Splining and a few big problems started to appear. sad
I guess animation is really hard, indeed.

Direct Link

Lip syncing is difficult and right now my results are not good at all.
Any advice would be excellent.

There are still ten days to improve it. smile

#6 02-19-2017 1:51 am

woodlandmermaid

One thing I would is that you should try to hold some of your poses. For example, it seems that the hands are almost always slightly moving. They never hold the pose, they drift from one position to another. If you hold the poses, that will allow you to have snappier motions and use the hands to emphasize what is being said.

#7 02-21-2017 12:19 am

lelostrzal

Hi woodlandmermaid, thanks for the feedback. You are right! I tried to fix that today, not sure I succeeded.

Direct Link

I'm still not happy with my facial expressions and my Lip syncing.
It's been really fun to do this challenge, but I understand my limitations and that I have a lot to learn.

#8 02-21-2017 9:37 am

Shining Aquas

If you have time, two things you might consider improving:

1 - If you want your facials to look a bit better, try incorporating blinks and eyebrow movements.  You mentioned you weren't fond of the facial expressions and I think part of the reason is because right now you don't really have any.  Brows sell expression very clearly, and blinks tell us that the characters are alive and engaged.

2 - Because of how high your camera is, it's feeling a bit distant from the characters.  For a shot like this where the conversation is the main focus, it helps to bring the camera both closer and about level with the people having it.

#9 02-22-2017 12:39 am

lelostrzal

Hi Shining Aquas,
Thanks for your feedback. I tried to make some adjustments according to your suggestions.

Direct Link

From now on I'll focus on polishing and making fine refinements.
I'm actually really glad that I decided to take part of this month's contest. I learned a lot, and I'm still learning.

#10 02-22-2017 1:11 am

Shining Aquas

It looks much better.  Couple more things:

1 - Camera feels better, but the placement of that last shot is a little awkward.  Because of how many bottles you have on the table, it's really hard to see his hands and body.  For this, you have a couple options: either switch the position of the bottles on the table (from front to back), or adjust the last camera so that he's easier to see.

2 - Keep an eye out for twinning.  Twinning occurs whenever you have multiple major actions happening at exactly the same time (swinging both arms, for example).  In animation, it's good to have at least a small amount of offset.  Remember, on every action there's always a "leading motion" and a "following motion", rarely ever do you have "simultaneous motions"

Good luck.

#11 02-22-2017 10:02 am

vimal

act this scene ...u will cum to knw where ths went wrong...v never use to do more actions....dnt thnk about moments..always think about the performance..dnt give too many poses that will distract...go to a pose tell wht u upto,and if there is a change in your thought then that will lead u for your next pose...thts how it works...here your hand is moving all the way....timing is off and that makes it flotty...work on your poses...try to make your poses strong...a few strong poses is enough to convey  a good performance.....keep up,,,,challeging urself is always a good thing...ALL THE BEST..

#12 02-28-2017 10:24 pm

lelostrzal

Thanks Shining Aquas and vimal for your feedback.
I'll try to improve my animation on the points you mentioned.
There are still a few hours until the deadline, I'll focus on these things.
Thanks for the advice, I had never heard of Twinning before, I'm still new to animation.

#13 03-01-2017 12:25 am

lelostrzal

Hi,
Here is my last version, with some improvements:

Direct Link

any last minute advice or tip is highly appreciated.
Thanks

Board footer