#1 02-09-2017 12:40 pm

kbmiscstuff

Stuck In Post-Production Step of Short Film

Hi everyone, newbie here! My question is centered around the very end of the pipeline steps of a short animation film. I've been told that the image sequence upon completion of rendering needs to be brought into a compositing package, something like NUKE for instance to color correct and the like.

Do I need to learn compositing? It's not like I'm dealing with live action here, just CG. What software features of NUKE should I be familiar with to add those finishing touches to the overall polish of the animation?

Is it possible to do this in Premiere instead, or is NUKE the more preferred choice for this sort of thing? Could any of you please offer a workflow for this step in the pipeline, it would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Last edited by kbmiscstuff (02-09-2017 12:46 pm)

#2 02-09-2017 4:12 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Re: Stuck In Post-Production Step of Short Film

You can use Blackmagic's Fusion if you would like as well.  It's free(for the most part).  Compositing is definitely a step that shouldn't be ignored.  If you have rendered passes, which is recommended(making subtle changes is faster and easier), then you'll need to compile all of those passes in a compositing program, at the very least you should use after effects to do so.  You'll need to understand the render passes you'll need to make and why(ambient occlusion, rgb, reflection, specularity, etc), and then you'll need to composite them in which ever program you choose to use.  There's a ton of information freely available to you out there.  Here's a link to an image file and some breakdowns of the steps that I think are pretty standard. 

http://www.upcomingvfxmovies.com/2014/0 … reamworks/

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#3 02-09-2017 8:34 pm

kbmiscstuff

Thank you for the quick response! Initially I thought this part of the pipeline (at least for CG not live action) was merely adding some color correction to the raw image sequence. The link you provided was helpful though not as in-depth as I would have liked.

I don't have any of those apps you mentioned so I guess I'll have to find my way around NUKE. Just as a general guideline, what would you say are the most important or most common render passes to render out? I use Maya 2017 with Arnold if that's helpful.

#4 02-09-2017 9:06 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Nuke is definitely going to work for you.  It's one of the best out there.  As for render passes, here's some quick information for you, involving Arnold and Maya.

https://support.solidangle.com/display/AFMUG/AOVs

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

Board footer