#1 12-02-2016 4:42 pm

dragonlordsd

First time voting questions

Hey guys!

So, it's my first time voting, and I've had a number of situations that I'm not sure how to deal with. So here are my questions so far, any help would be appreciated.

1. If the animation is cut short (the one in question literally stops in the middle of a word), how should that be scored? Is there a penalty for not using the entire audio clip, or only completing half an animation? In this particular case, the rest of the animation is actually really good, but it looks like the person didn't finish.

2. If one character is animated and another isn't, or isn't animated to the same level, how should that be scored? I figured just score each separately and average the two results.

3. If the animation breaks the competition rules by editing the sound file, but the animation is good, should you still score it normally?

I'm probably going to have more questions, but any help would be appreciated.

#2 12-02-2016 5:30 pm

DonMarks

Re: First time voting questions

These are all good questions to ask, and I had them myself the first time I voted. I would say what's important is to weigh all of the factors in when making your choice. I usually take  off a star or two if the sound has been altered. I have found that animations that include altered sounds  tend not to be of the top tier anyways, so it's no biggie.  It's good you're asking these questions, go with your gut Dragon!

#3 12-02-2016 9:08 pm

Lanmana

This is my first time on this site, entering a competition and also voting, so I have similar questions in regards to voting as well. So far I've just been scoring them lower if they go against one of the rules or are in some unwatchable format.

I have also seen a few though that appear to use copyrighted characters, even though it's stated in the rules that that's not allowed, but the animation was good? I'm not sure how to rate those ones, really.

#4 12-02-2016 9:14 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

People vote very differently based on the person. Some folks have never given out a single 11, ever. Some give their favorites 11, or some rate higher for ones they personally like vs. "are well made." Some people (too many, if you ask me) vote the lowest "Not Ready for Competition" if ANYTHING is wrong, or part is slightly unfinished or whatever. Anyway, you have to go with what works for you. There's no hard rule.

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#5 12-02-2016 10:02 pm

dragonlordsd

Lanmana wrote:

I have also seen a few though that appear to use copyrighted characters, even though it's stated in the rules that that's not allowed, but the animation was good? I'm not sure how to rate those ones, really.

As far as I understand, the "copyrighted characters" condition applies to the rigs and models more so than the subjects.

For example, kiwimage used a rig of a guy wearing a batman costume, but that's fine since A) It doesn't have a batman logo on the costume) and B) It's a guy wearing a costume, not necessarily batman.

As opposed to, say, me ripping assets from a video game and using them in my project.

#6 12-02-2016 10:09 pm

acolors
Productive!

Not sure members
I have 3 things to say:
you can voice your criticism/concerns  of any particular entry in
the comment section provided under the animation clip.
I advice you to watch previous competitions in archives to see how
members voted & commented then drown your own conclusions
You can learn about animation by watching "old" clips as well
(2 birds with 1 stone but do not kill them...lol)
& J.K. Riki is right "There's no hard rule."
Do what you feel like I assume you have a basic knowledge/principle of
animation
acting
scene composing
facial expressions
telling a story.......ect. otherwise you would not be here.
cheers

Board footer