#1 11-18-2016 4:11 pm

Lajo12345
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 53
Productive!

Cintiq Alternatives...

Anyone have any input about good affordable cintiq alternatives to animate on? (maya)

just keep animating...just keep animating......

#2 11-18-2016 6:19 pm

dgovil
Helper
Karmojo: 14

Re: Cintiq Alternatives...

For Maya i'd recommend just getting an intuos. DO you really need to be drawing on the screen a lot? It's very unergonomic for Maya.

There are cintiq and intuos alternatives, but you're really going to be dropping in quality of handling for pens and drivers. It's really not worth the savings if you can go with an intuos or even a bamboo

Dhruv Govil

#3 11-23-2016 8:28 am

emeraldsong

Ray Frenden's reviews cover a range of Wacom alternatives in detail: http://frenden.com/tagged/review

#4 03-09-2017 4:19 pm

Bond_Savingsbond

Lajo12345 wrote:

Anyone have any input about good affordable cintiq alternatives to animate on? (maya)

Hello Lajo,

This is a very late reply but I would suggest either the Yiynovas or the current Bosto Kingtee as an inexpensive alternative to Cintiq.  At this point in time there should be a lot of personal Youtube demos of these products. 

I personally own the Bosto HDX and it's alright, no issues at all other than setting it up the drivers, but I find that I only used it when I was fooling around with zBrush and Photoshop or making thumbnails in Maya. 

Also, since Wacom no longer has their patenet(s) it is free game for many companies to make their own version of a Cintiq.  The new Dell Canvis looks awesome as well.

P.S. grab and Ergotron LX arm as well!

Best of luck on your final decision.

Last edited by Bond_Savingsbond (03-11-2017 1:11 pm)

#5 03-10-2017 8:13 am

Moonman
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 35

Bond_Savingsbond wrote:

This is a very late reply but I would suggest either the Yiynovas or the current Bosto Kingtee as an inexpensive alternative to Cintiq.  At this point in time there should be a lot of personal Youtube demos or these products.

$649?!?!  Ya gotta be out your goddamned tripper!  In what world is that considered 'affordable'?

Personal Website: Art of Neil
Personal Blog: Farts of Neil

#6 03-10-2017 7:08 pm

Bond_Savingsbond

Hello Moonman,

Not too sure on how to reply to your comment,  but from what I suggested, those two companies are the most reviewed and at this point, most documented Cintiq Alternatives. 

Another way to put it is that Wacom Cintiqs cost anywhere from 799-2799USD.  Where a Cintiq alternative can cost anywhere from 299-799USD. 

So depending on what your budget is there is a lot to choose from.  Most of these are simply clones of a clone of a clone but they will all work as advertised.  And if that is still too pricey then a used Surface pro (1 or 2) is another solid option.

The only advantage of a Cintiq is that they hold their resale value very well if you decide to turn around and sell it off compaired to the lesser known alternatives out there. 

Lastly, here is a list of the current range of Cintiq alternatives as of January 2017:

http://www.parkablogs.com/content/round … -designers

Happy hunting.

Last edited by Bond_Savingsbond (03-11-2017 1:19 pm)

#7 03-15-2017 3:23 am

Moonman
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 35

Bond_Savingsbond wrote:

Hello Moonman,

Not too sure on how to reply to your comment,  but from what I suggested, those two companies are the most reviewed and at this point, most documented Cintiq Alternatives.

To be clear, that wasn't directed towards you specifically, just at the idea that the equivalent of car down payment (and an actual car for that one price range you put up) fits the definition of affordable.

Personal Website: Art of Neil
Personal Blog: Farts of Neil

#8 03-23-2017 8:54 am

glosha002

Lajo12345 wrote:

I recommend Lenovo ThinkVision touchscreen tablet. It is affordable and perfect alternative of cintiq tablet. It supports windows 8.1 and 10. It is also lightweight so easily move it. For other or more cintiq alternative click here.

#9 05-03-2017 6:42 pm

robcat2075
Celebrity
Karmojo: 68

Another late reply...

It is possible to get older, used Cintiq on ebay for what i regard as "affordable"

10 years ago I got an 18" SX for $500 and they can be had for less now.  One of the things that makes Wacom products great is that their drivers can customize the buttons on your pen differently for every program and not just system-wide.

If you do buy a used Cintiq make sure it includes everything... screen, stand, power supply, cables, pen.  they are all essential and you don't want to buy any of them separately.

"3D animators have pencil envy" - Robert Holmén
The world's most beloved Heavy Push
This is only a... my gallery of CG tests
I'm a 2D Wannabe...  drawings and 2D animation tests

Board footer