#1 08-23-2016 6:18 pm

Sinister

AnimSchool or CGTarian?

Hello to everyone!

Time is running out and I still have this dilemma. Of all known schools I narrowed my choice down to these two.
I have acquainted with both in detail, I read all the brochures, contacted the schools and asked questions that interested me, so I have enough information about them, butt still I'm not desided. I'm looking for the right word to break me. Make a right decision.

For AnimSchool clearly plays absolute transparency and the most comprehensive information what you can find. They offer answers to each question. I like the live classes, their overall teaching style and their whole system.
Plus a choice of two programs. Perhaps the only problem I have is with the number of mentors and students, which is considerable. I am concerned only, if I can handle it as a full-time employee. Find the right time, sometimes maybe even in the middle of the night. But that's a part of it.

For CGTarian I like, that their school is more than family style ( a small number of tutors, closely work, small classes, individual approach ) and that they also have a clear syllabi on their site. Plus, of course, their favorable price. What I do not like so much is that they have no registration form, only direct payment? Without any information about me? Or am I wrong? Correct me please. Then the weaker information about the functioning of school itself, although I know that CGTarian is still a fairly fresh school and that their informations are not so complex. ( I quote Amanda, who answered me from school ) Then there are pre-recorded lectures, which are not quite so OK, or maybe, I can not judge this yet, but for now I've learned essentially only from videos, so there should not be a problem with this. And there are still live online meetings for the review of students work.

I hope that I briefly explained my situation. So what now? Is there anyone who is a current student of any school? Can you tell me something that outweighs one of the schools? Perhaps more than positive experience could help those negative ( I've read the positive reviews more than enough on their websites smile ). I really spent an enormous amount of time and it is very important to me, as for anyone who decides to start.

Thanks to everyone who finds the time to respond.
Have a nice day!

Last edited by Sinister (08-23-2016 6:37 pm)

#2 08-31-2016 3:20 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

Re: AnimSchool or CGTarian?

To be perfectly honest, it doesn't matter as much as you may be giving it credit for. All schools depend more on you than anything else. You get out what you put in. As long as they are halfway decent (and your choices are, I'd say) it will depend FAR more on the effort you're willing to make during learning than which school you pick. Really and truly, art school is about YOUR effort. Yes, great teachers are important too, but it always comes back to you in the end. If you put in the work, you will improve dramatically. smile

Good luck!

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#3 10-13-2016 10:38 pm

AnimePassion11

I think both are good but it just depends what skill your trying to sharpen. Cgtarian does has its moments but most stuff are for beginners I think

#4 10-15-2016 3:22 am

visualbug

Animschool is very nice! no experience with CGtarian........

#5 10-15-2016 8:47 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

''For AnimSchool clearly plays absolute transparency and the most comprehensive information what you can find. They offer answers to each question. I like the live classes, their overall teaching style and their whole system.
Plus a choice of two programs. Perhaps the only problem I have is with the number of mentors and students, which is considerable. I am concerned only, if I can handle it as a full-time employee. Find the right time, sometimes maybe even in the middle of the night. But that's a part of it.''

I'd expect to try to put in 20-40 hours each week regardless of the course you choose. It sounds like you've made your decision. I say this as different schools suit different students. I have experience with CGTarian, Ianimate and Anim Squad, and could identify strengths and weaknesses for each. But these are individual to me.

My thoughts on Cgtarian's courses I have taken are mixed. The facial close up is a very detailed exploration into muscle and design (which a snippet can be found on Mike Safianoff's vimeo account),  but other course lectures do differ in length. The intermediate lectures were more simplistic, but the reviews were great. Expect Thomas, Mike and Chris to be each great teachers with their own styles.

Regarding high number of students: if their level is good, you find yourself pushing to get the best from each other. I recently did a creature course at Ia. I felt embarrassed one week that the other student's ideas were so much stronger than mine. This was more pride than any negativity from the teacher. I saw an opportunity to push myself harder and made sure I upped my game for the next. More students means you also establish a network and may share notes with each other.

However, low attendance can mean the teacher may focus more time on you.

Last edited by thelittlepenguin84 (10-15-2016 8:49 am)

#6 08-14-2017 11:52 am

Rada

Hi, Sinister. Did you choose your school? I'm looking one for me, so I could use some personal experience. smile
I'm considering CGTarian, so if some one could help with decision.

Board footer