March Competition Brainstorming Thread

Discuss

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#2 03-01-2016 6:59 pm

Boumboum34

Re: March Competition Brainstorming Thread

I can think of a bunch of ideas. One idea I'm going to keep to myself for now as I'm hoping that'll be my entry this month. lol

But here's some others... we can try animals. Imagine two birds in a birdhouse high up a tree. A sign "please don't drink and fly."

Two earthworms, who fell into a glass of wine... Or wine got spilled on their food.

Two humans...the mom is visibly tipsy drunk...

How about two members of the Temperance League? Or a big Alcoholics Anonymous sign on the wall?

Mother and daughter having a nice talk at home, husband comes in, drunk off his rocker, collapses as Mom says "I'd rather you drink at home."

Two female robots, the younger one's mouthing "but.....we're robots...we don't drink..."

A good chance for comedy here. Just think "what would be the least expected situation to hear this in?" And "who is the least likely person you can think of who would say this?"

#3 03-03-2016 12:37 pm

acolors
Productive!

INAPPROPRIATE/WRONG choice of 2016 March audio
I have to voice my disbelieve & unpleasant surprise how wrong & inappropriate
the choice of 2016 March audio is by 11secondclub organizers.

Is the administration of this site promoting underage drinking (even with mum supervision) ?
Transcript:
Voice 1: " Um...Is there alcohol in this?"
Voice 2: "Huh! O God honey, NO! What kind of a mother do you think I am?
Why, do you want a little bit? 'Cause if your are going to drink it,
I'd rather you do it in the house."
In the past this issue (underage drinking) was discussed endlessly in the media.
There's NO safe way for underage kids to drink alcohol.
>>> "Underage drinking is not safe, and it's not the case that somehow the risk is removed
because the parents provided it," says  Michael Hilton, acting deputy director
for epidemiology and prevention research at the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse
and Alcoholism. <<<
You can do your own research Online.
I wonder what MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) would have to say
about 2016 March audio.
This site is accessed by many students. I wonder if the March audio sending
the right message to all of them
I'm deeply disappointed &
for the above reason I will not participate in March 2016 Competition.
acolors
Ps.
I can anticipate some funny responses (if any) to this post by teenagers.
so keep that in mind I'm ahead of you. If this post is not going to be taken it off.

#4 03-03-2016 2:13 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

acolors, your opinion is heard, and noted.  Please refrain from making any more posts about it or reading into this months audio more than you should.  Thanks

Ryan
Animator

#5 03-03-2016 2:34 pm

wellings
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 51
Productive!

The audio was not created by the 11secondclub, it's from Mean Girls, a very popular movie.

I understand that we need to promote responsible values and actions to children but this is hardly the place to boycott.
Are there underage teenagers who are going to go out and drink irresponsibly because they heard this audio clip on 11secondclub?

Our society it becoming far too sensitive.

#6 03-03-2016 2:38 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Lets discuss ideas for the competition, hence the title of the thread.

Ryan
Animator

#7 03-03-2016 6:29 pm

wellings
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 51
Productive!

Agreed....I have none lol
Seems to lend itself very strongly to what will pop into most people's minds at first. A scene between a mother and daughter with a tipsy mother and a daughter holding a drink.

Thinking outside the box isn't my forte but I think this month is especially tricky to do so

#8 03-03-2016 6:30 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

a little elephant with big ears, questions the barrel of drink his mother or tiny mouse companion, wishes them to drink.

On a horror note, maybe its a young vampire sucking blood from her victim. Almost Addams Family-ish

Last edited by thelittlepenguin84 (03-03-2016 6:34 pm)

#9 03-03-2016 8:36 pm

jonnagl
Participator
Karmojo: 6

Yeah, the vampire angle was one I played with and *nearly* went with, loved the image of a Morticia Addamsesque mother flapping about. Particularly if you had a range of alcoholic/non-alcoholic cadavers dangling from the ceiling for the vampires to choose from, like spirit bottles in a bar...

Also like the thought of mother & daughter spiders, the mother getting tipsy on a boozy fly (or tequila worm!).

Or cats with a saucer of milk... or is that a White Russian? smile

#10 03-03-2016 11:29 pm

Snapai

I'm just gonna use a couple characters I have sitting around that I need to rig and test; and do it clearly the way the audio suggests, and let the acting carry it. I'm scared of getting into the cliche of "look at how original my interpretation is" and not doing a good job on the actual animation and acting. D:

Besides, I did a couple quadrupeds last round, I wanna try something more anthropomorphic this round. :B

#11 03-04-2016 5:05 am

ericraffle

Hi guys, well my idea is pretty simple I'm going to make the camera the first character so in the beginning when she says her line I might have the camera look down a bit at her glass not sure yet but for this month I just want the one character but I'll see later in the month.

So anyway the story goes the mother is busy putting bottles into the fridge and I will try do some nice cartoon kind of bouncing animation on her bum, no it won't be offensive in any way, but she will be bending down into the fridge so that's the only part that will show in the camera,

Then she will get a fright and stand up and close the fridge door and say her first line, just after she does a little chuckle she will have the box on the ground which she will try to hide because its a castle lager box, hense the reason why she made a chuckle. All through this it will just be the mother character so I need to animate the camera appropriatelly so the viewers know its through the first characters eyes .

I haven't thought of an ending yet but I'm sure as the month progresses I will think of something.

How does my idea sound to everyone?

Last edited by ericraffle (03-04-2016 5:08 am)

Good Luck !! And happy animating to all

#12 03-29-2016 12:26 pm

ericraffle

What planet are you from? Where did that comment come from ? And how is it related to this forum post?lol

#13 04-03-2016 9:34 pm

taboo
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 32

I cant get over how many videos this month with mery + a wheelchair or a puppet and all the Max videos

it seems like an unusual coincidence!! Maybe there was a few animation classes that submitted this month and had to use a specific prop?

#14 04-04-2016 9:54 pm

Gaucelm

So that's Mery! I keep seeing her while I was judging those videos.

And also some other dark-haired girl... and this blonde woman... and this elf kid... I guess those were the most fitting 3d models.

#15 04-05-2016 7:14 am

omard
Celebrity
Karmojo: 64

I suspect there were multiple entries in the March 16 comp, from the same animator... is that permissible?

I think so because there are many renders that feature Mary sitting at a table with a window showing an autumn tree scene within it. The same image on the window appears in several entries this month.

Last edited by omard (04-05-2016 8:01 am)

#16 04-05-2016 12:23 pm

Gaucelm

I have sat through hundreds of videos while judging for this contest, and some are so similar I was wondering if I was seeing the same video.

#17 04-05-2016 12:33 pm

ericraffle

I think its probably a bunch of students because even the amount of entries in March are a bit higher then the usual amount we get in the month, it definitelly can't be one user doing duplicates as he would have to have a seperate account and email for each video entered into the competition, unless there is someone who seriously has a problem and making a joke but I doubt it.

#18 04-05-2016 3:03 pm

Boumboum34

It is indeed quite curious. What's up with the same wheelchair being used in multiple entries? And the same identical outdoor tree photo? That is so specific it can't be coincidence.

Spent hours yesterday trying to track down that hand puppet rig used in several of the entries, and the elf girl, in vain. I was actually hoping to try out that elf girl for myself. She looks very cool and could be really good in a fantasy setting. But I couldn't find her *anywhere*.

Anyone know anything about the pointy-eared elf girl rig? Who created it? Where she can be found? Is she a free download or something you have to pay for like the terrific Kayla? Is she the product of an online animation school or CG house and restricted to just the students or employees? Did the contestants actually have the legal right to use her?

#19 04-05-2016 3:12 pm

Gaucelm

How many times have I seen Kayla as the daughter and Mery as the mother... I guess they look "Pixary" enough.

Seen the "Minimoyesque" elf girl quite a lot, too.

#20 04-05-2016 3:15 pm

ithegreatpapyrus

I was wondering the same thing. After seeing hundreds upon hundreds of videos using the same models/rigs, I started developing a higher appreciation for anything that was at least slightly different or original or stood out more.

#21 04-05-2016 3:21 pm

Boumboum34

Gaucelm wrote:

And also some other dark-haired girl... and this blonde woman... and this elf kid... I guess those were the most fitting 3d models.

I recognize most of the rigs. Mery of course. The dark-haired girl with the choker is Mathilda, also very good. The blonde girl in the blue shirt and jeans and a kerchief in her hair is Bonnie. Redhead with the hairband and basketball style shirt is Jin. The little girl with glasses is Kayla. Woman with the bulbous nose and button-like eyes is Caroline from Cogswell College. Gray Leotard is usually Morpheus. Saw a few Malcolms and Normans in there, too. All free and easy to find on Google.

I'm still trying to track down the elf girl. Never seen her before yesterday.

Last edited by Boumboum34 (04-05-2016 3:22 pm)

#22 04-05-2016 3:33 pm

Gaucelm

Yeah, it is easy to find it redundant... but in the end, what matters is what you do with it... many videos are creative with their original designs, many hand-drawn, and I wished I could have rated them high... but unfortunately, many just weren't there in expression and movement execution...

EDIT: oh, a green medal? Wait, I won something? Wait, voting is over? Oh, I was close to finish voting... wait, I didn't do too bad? Hey, this is cool!! Yay! big_smile

Last edited by Gaucelm (04-05-2016 3:57 pm)

Board footer