#1 03-21-2014 5:46 pm

Czurbrigg

Keyframe MP - A Media Player for Animators

I thought it was time to post an update on the Playblast/Reference Viewer script I was working on. The project has since evolved into a much more complete media player with extra features specifically for animators. And yes, it fixes that annoying duplicate end frame issue some of you may have experienced on Maya playblasts smile

As always, feedback is welcome and if you have any feature requests, let me know.

-ChrisZ

Direct Link

Last edited by Czurbrigg (03-21-2014 5:58 pm)

#2 03-21-2014 6:03 pm

Czurbrigg

Re: Keyframe MP - A Media Player for Animators

For the current list of features: Keyframe MP features

Also, I'm aiming for an early April release.

-ChrisZ

Last edited by Czurbrigg (03-21-2014 6:09 pm)

#3 03-21-2014 6:19 pm

Horganovski
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79

Nice! Don't know how difficult to implement but one suggestion would be a 'flip x' hotkey that can mirror the image. I keep a mirror by my desk and often look at playblasts in that to try to get a fresh eye on them. You can mirror in Quicktime pro but it's a bit of a buried function and requires you to go through a few menus to get to it.

Cheers,
Brian

#4 03-21-2014 6:28 pm

Czurbrigg

Horganovski wrote:

Nice! Don't know how difficult to implement but one suggestion would be a 'flip x' hotkey that can mirror the image. I keep a mirror by my desk and often look at playblasts in that to try to get a fresh eye on them. You can mirror in Quicktime pro but it's a bit of a buried function and requires you to go through a few menus to get to it.

Cheers,
Brian

No trouble at all... It's already in there smile

You can flip horizontally, and, not that I've found a use for it yet, you can also flip vertically. There are also hotkeys so you can quickly toggle it on and off.

-ChrisZ

#5 03-21-2014 6:37 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

This is shweet! Any chance of early beta access? tongue

#6 03-21-2014 6:40 pm

JpSelf
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 43

Wow. Really nice.

Personal Vimeo Page: Vimeo Page

#7 03-21-2014 6:51 pm

PivotGeek
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 58

A Great boon to Animators around the universe..

acting is a survival Mechanism-- Marlno Brando
My blog/Website

#8 03-21-2014 7:00 pm

AGoodFella

This looks like it could be incredibly useful. I've yet to settle on a media player and I'd like to give this a shot.

#9 03-21-2014 9:26 pm

Horganovski
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79

Czurbrigg wrote:

No trouble at all... It's already in there smile

You can flip horizontally, and, not that I've found a use for it yet, you can also flip vertically. There are also hotkeys so you can quickly toggle it on and off.

Cool!

Cheers,
Brian

#10 03-23-2014 2:53 pm

kiopaa
Participator
Karmojo: 8

Looks really great ! it's the player I need, but will it be available for Mac users ?

And I think of a feature for tweaking the timing of an animation, the possibility of bookmark some frames and play only these ones (or play only the un-bookmarked ones)

Cheers

#11 03-23-2014 9:23 pm

iest_rob
Tipster
Karmojo: 29

Wow, this is looking great Chris! The audio mouse scrub looks fantastic!

Do you have any ideas when you'll be releasing this? I for one can't wait to play with it!

#12 03-24-2014 10:12 am

padraig post
Helper
Karmojo: 19

This looks fantastic as always Chris!

One feature request may be the option of audio being played even when using the hotkeys to frame step?... Its something I have found useful in 2D packages to break down audio for dope sheets/lip sync.

Anyway this looks brilliant and can't wait to try it out!

Also really like the new website too!  (but have you gotten rid of the forum?..or am I missing somethign?!)

Cheers Chris!

#13 03-24-2014 12:07 pm

Czurbrigg

kiopaa wrote:

Looks really great ! it's the player I need, but will it be available for Mac users ?

And I think of a feature for tweaking the timing of an animation, the possibility of bookmark some frames and play only these ones (or play only the un-bookmarked ones)

Cheers

The good news is that the Mac version is in development, the bad news is that the initial release (targeted for early April) will be for Windows (64-bit). As an independent developer it's one of those tough decisions I had to make so that things might actually get completed. Assuming the Windows release goes smoothly, I expect the Mac version won't be too far behind.

With your bookmarking suggestion, I assume this would be for shorter clips (e.g. playblasts) as a means of retiming?

iest_rob wrote:

Wow, this is looking great Chris! The audio mouse scrub looks fantastic!

Do you have any ideas when you'll be releasing this? I for one can't wait to play with it!

I'm targeting early April for the initial release. This will be a Windows only release. The Mac version, hopefully, will follow in a month or two. A Linux version is planned, but there is no release date.

padraig post wrote:

This looks fantastic as always Chris!

One feature request may be the option of audio being played even when using the hotkeys to frame step?... Its something I have found useful in 2D packages to break down audio for dope sheets/lip sync.

Anyway this looks brilliant and can't wait to try it out!

Also really like the new website too!  (but have you gotten rid of the forum?..or am I missing somethign?!)

Cheers Chris!

Audio scrub on single frame step, already included. Definitely a useful feature smile

As for the new site, I have closed the forums. 99% of communication has proven to come through email (or other social media) and there didn't seem to be much of a point in continuing to maintaining it. Mostly, I was just deleting spam. If you ever need to get in touch though, don't hesitate to send me an email.

-ChrisZ

#14 03-24-2014 12:22 pm

padraig post
Helper

Awesome reply! 
Can't wait to try out the player!
cheers Chris!  smile

#15 03-25-2014 9:35 am

powermac

Pretty nice, it seems very useful! Which kind of files seq/video will be supported?

#16 03-26-2014 1:13 pm

Czurbrigg

powermac wrote:

Pretty nice, it seems very useful! Which kind of files seq/video will be supported?

Currently, it supports most of the common "movie" containers (avi, mov, etc...) and I'm continuing to update individual codec support. Different codecs tend to have there own little gotchas that need to be addressed.

Support for image sequences is planned for a future update.

-ChrisZ

#17 03-26-2014 1:24 pm

padraig post
Helper

+1 for image sequence support.  Would you be able to add an audio file (.wav or whatever) to this?...

also does this still have the 'reference' functionality (syncing with maya timeline) that the older version playblast viewer had?

sorry for all the questions, its not even out yet and I'm sure most will be answered when we can finally get our hands on it!  haha.

#18 03-27-2014 10:51 pm

Czurbrigg

padraig post wrote:

+1 for image sequence support.  Would you be able to add an audio file (.wav or whatever) to this?...

also does this still have the 'reference' functionality (syncing with maya timeline) that the older version playblast viewer had?

sorry for all the questions, its not even out yet and I'm sure most will be answered when we can finally get our hands on it!  haha.

Adding an audio file to an image sequence is something that I would like to add. I haven't looked into it yet but I don't think it should be that complicated.

The new player doesn't have the sync with Maya feature directly. It is a standalone player, no longer limited to a running instance of Maya. That being said, I've been working on a simple means of communicating with the player and have been able to recreate the sync functionality with a Python script in Maya. The benefit is that any 3d application with decent scripting support should be able to add the same functionality (and more depending on the user's imagination). This won't be available in the first release, it still needs some cleanup, but it's not something I've forgotten about.

-ChrisZ

#19 03-28-2014 3:12 pm

denizDeniz

Great work Chris.
I'm buying this as soon as it comes out

#20 03-29-2014 12:04 am

padraig post
Helper

Czurbrigg wrote:

The new player doesn't have the sync with Maya feature directly. It is a standalone player, no longer limited to a running instance of Maya. That being said, I've been working on a simple means of communicating with the player and have been able to recreate the sync functionality with a Python script in Maya. The benefit is that any 3d application with decent scripting support should be able to add the same functionality (and more depending on the user's imagination). This won't be available in the first release, it still needs some cleanup, but it's not something I've forgotten about.

-ChrisZ

Thanks for replying Chris.  It would indeed be awesome to have this functionality somehow, as that's what initially really sold me on the original version of your player... being able to isolate frame ranges and have it sync with Maya's timeline - coupled with your excellent Blue Pencil tools this would be an awesome setup for the initial stages of a shot.

best,

#21 03-29-2014 10:01 am

denizDeniz

Syncing with maya's timeline would be the most useful feature for me, since it's a big part of my workflow.
Just putting it out there

#22 03-31-2014 1:02 pm

walkerism

Looks great. Will this be freeware, and if not what will the pricing be?

#23 03-31-2014 4:40 pm

Czurbrigg

denizDeniz wrote:

Syncing with maya's timeline would be the most useful feature for me, since it's a big part of my workflow.
Just putting it out there

This has probably been the number one request I've had and it has been on my features list since day one. So I figured why not just get it done and make sure it is included in the initial release smile

Here's a familiar video only this one is using Keyframe MP:

Direct Link

-ChrisZ

#24 03-31-2014 6:12 pm

AGoodFella

Yes! Yes! Fantastic!

So how much is this going to cost?

#25 04-01-2014 5:48 pm

padraig post
Helper

very cool Chris! - thanks for the update smile

One thing I thought is will it have variable frame rates? so we can slow down footage etc? also with audio slowed down

I know it's a seperate player now as opposed to being within Maya but imagine how cool it would be to have your blue pencil functionality to draw over frames...  perhaps just a step too far though! wink

regardless it looks great so well done!

Board footer