#1 07-15-2013 2:02 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

New Parenting and Constraining Tutorial

Hey guys! I've been hard at work on my new Parenting and Constraining tutorial. Well, it's finally here (or most of it anyway). This is just a PDF version for now as the video is still in the works. Hopefully this will tide you over in the meantime (it's the same material, just different format). It's got 60 pages and dozens of images explaining several topics that have to do with parenting and constraining in Maya (it's pretty much the most in depth tutorial on the subject, ever smile). The "Practical Examples" section is a bit light on info, but I fully intend to go back and add more later. Please please please spread it around!

The permanent link can now be found on my portfolio site

Wolfor, if you'd do the honors of stickying? Thanks smile

Last edited by Kreator (03-31-2016 4:58 am)

#2 07-15-2013 2:28 am

jay-ay

Re: New Parenting and Constraining Tutorial

You are amazing, thank you for devoting so much time and effort to educate us! big_smile

#3 07-15-2013 2:40 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen

My pleasure smile

#4 07-15-2013 6:46 am

jay-ay

I have the feeling this question has been answered before but google search isn't helping much, so apologies if I'm asking something many people are weary of: Is there a way for a long object to be controlled by two different controllers, which are set on opposite ends of said object, at the same time? I think the walking stick example works best for this; the tip has to rest on a fixed point on the ground, but the head of the stick has to remain movable according to the motion of the hand holding it. Is there some constraining/parenting magic that works on this, or it remains a frame-by-frame-tweaking conundrum?

Edit: I'm using the walking stick analogy because it seems to be the simplest analogy to use, but I once had to animate a character using a spear and it was a nightmare having to constrain and unconstrain the hands to different parts of the spear length, and having to tweak frame-by-frame the spear tip on the ground. I imagine the solution to the walking stick problem would be related to animating a spear though!

Last edited by jay-ay (07-15-2013 6:51 am)

#5 07-15-2013 6:54 am

PivotGeek
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 58

Your are Extreamly Awesome,.

acting is a survival Mechanism-- Marlno Brando
My blog/Website

#6 07-15-2013 7:12 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen

jay-ay wrote:

I have the feeling this question has been answered before but google search isn't helping much, so apologies if I'm asking something many people are weary of: Is there a way for a long object to be controlled by two different controllers, which are set on opposite ends of said object, at the same time? I think the walking stick example works best for this; the tip has to rest on a fixed point on the ground, but the head of the stick has to remain movable according to the motion of the hand holding it. Is there some constraining/parenting magic that works on this, or it remains a frame-by-frame-tweaking conundrum?

Edit: I'm using the walking stick analogy because it seems to be the simplest analogy to use, but I once had to animate a character using a spear and it was a nightmare having to constrain and unconstrain the hands to different parts of the spear length, and having to tweak frame-by-frame the spear tip on the ground. I imagine the solution to the walking stick problem would be related to animating a spear though!

To answer your question, yes and no. Yes you can have multiple driver objects, but they won't have full influence of the object itself due to the Weight attribute of the constraint. I believe if you gave the tutorial a read through you'd find the information you need (unless you have already, in which case I'll investigate further).

#7 07-15-2013 8:12 am

Deepadas

Camaro,I am so happy to find this,'coz just a few days ago I had to leave a file just 'coz of this parenting issue and I got disheartened,I am so curious to read it and find out the solution....!!You are awesome...!!

Life is not a rehearsal, Each day is a new show.Each day is a new show.

#8 07-15-2013 8:15 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Glad to help. Please help me in return by spreading it around smile

I'm already thinking about revisions I can make and things I can add. Look forward to it.

#9 07-15-2013 9:07 am

Deepadas

yeah sure...!!

#10 07-15-2013 11:17 am

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Camaro wrote:

Wolfor, if you'd do the honors of stickying? Thanks smile

I'd love to, but I would probably rename this thread to something more catchy and simple and put it in a different section (maybe software trouble?). If the admins would respond more often, we could probably even put this in the helpful hints section, but I can't do that myself smile

I would probably also put this on a blog page with links to the project files rather than using a hidden link to a .rar archive? Just a suggestion...

#11 07-15-2013 5:01 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

I use the "hidden" link to keep track of how many clicks it gets.

Also, I don't have the ability to move it to Software Trouble myself. And how is "Brand Spankin' New Tutorial" not catchy? tongue

#12 07-15-2013 5:14 pm

Deepadas

hii camaro,but tell me howto advertise your this pdf,thr is no link..!!

#13 07-15-2013 5:51 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Use this link:  http://worldstallestanimator.blogspot.c … orial.html

Last edited by Camaro (07-15-2013 11:49 pm)

#14 07-15-2013 5:57 pm

Deepadas

its not opening

#15 07-15-2013 6:03 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Uhh, it works fine for me? What browser are you using? I suppose I could switch the link to the PDF itself and have a separate one for the project files...

Fixed the first post.

Last edited by Camaro (07-15-2013 6:12 pm)

#16 07-15-2013 10:56 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

Camaro wrote:

I use the "hidden" link to keep track of how many clicks it gets.

Also, I don't have the ability to move it to Software Trouble myself. And how is "Brand Spankin' New Tutorial" not catchy? tongue

I'm totally aware that you're using the hidden link for keeping track, and I'm totally fine with that. Someone else might not be, though, because people get suspicious with hidden links (and should be, imho).
That's why i suggested you put it on a blog page, you get statistics for that one, too, and its not a .rar file (which might pose some serious trouble to people who are just using computers, as they don't know what that is)
I'd probably call the thread 'very complete TUTORIAL on CONSTRAINING and PARENTING' or something, just because I know people tend not to read long headlines smile

I think its not opening for Deepadas because his computer doesn't know how to handle a rar file, or he is expecting to see a webpage?

I'll be moving this thread as soon as we have sorted all this out smile

#17 07-15-2013 11:42 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Ok, it is now a post on my blog. I've also updated the title of the thread as well as my signature smile

#18 07-16-2013 5:43 am

denizDeniz

Started to read now. it's very well written. Finally I will understand how these things work.

#19 07-16-2013 6:11 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Glad I could help smile

#20 07-16-2013 10:17 am

wolfor
Rockstar

Here we go!
I'm gonna redirect all my students to your page when it comes to constraining/parenting smile
Here's just a minor suggestion for the next release, as this is such an enormous wealth of information, I would probably try to break it into some smaller chunks, and link the index to the appropriate chapters, like in a wiki page, maybe? As far as I know, a PDF is capable of that as well smile Here I go again, always complaining tongue

Edit: I just checked, google already links to this thread when searching for 'constraining tutorial' smile

Last edited by wolfor (07-16-2013 10:24 am)

#21 07-16-2013 5:41 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Yeah Wolfor, I'm already compiling a list of things I can add and revise. That is a great idea. Thanks!

Also yeah, I did a test search too. I think more people are inclined to search "constraining tutorial" rather than "parenting and constraining tutorial", but if they do, it should show up smile

Last edited by Camaro (07-16-2013 5:43 pm)

#22 07-17-2013 7:18 pm

varma.p

jay-ay wrote:

i am also stuck with the same issue which your facing. I'll go through the material n i hope i get the answer and i will  let you know and please if u find the solution  let me know

#23 09-02-2013 1:28 pm

AGoodFella

As someone who doesn't fully understand constraints, thank you for this. smile

#24 09-02-2013 6:22 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

You are quite welcome. Let me know if you need any additional help.

#25 10-18-2013 1:57 pm

Pips

Excellent Camaro smile Clap

“There's no easier way to do something, than to understand it” Richard Williams.

Sabarishwar L.R
http://sabarishwar.blogspot.in/

Board footer