#1 06-11-2013 3:35 pm

nicolasbulchak

2D Animation Software suggestions

I am looking for some suggestions of 2d animation software. I'm new at this and I'm not sure where to start. Is there any good free open source software for this, or should i purchase software, and if so, what is the best choice. What kind of hardware setup do you guys use and what are some general starting tips I can get to start off. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

#2 06-11-2013 8:10 pm

ChocoBilly
Administrator
Karmojo: 82
Administrator

#3 06-11-2013 8:50 pm

nicolasbulchak

Re: 2D Animation Software suggestions

Thanks for the quick response! I will try the free one tonight, and look into the flipbook application as well.

#4 06-12-2013 1:52 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

After using Flash for 8 years and then moving to Toon Boom, I can't recommend Toon Boom enough. It's built for animators, and is a great set of tools. Flash seems archaic and horrible in comparison, so whatever you do, stick with a program BUILT for animation, not something like Flash.

And of course there's always the good old paper and pencil. smile (Honestly if you've never tried 2D via paper on pegs, I highly recommend it. It teaches you things digital animation just doesn't.)

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#5 06-12-2013 3:07 pm

nicolasbulchak

I think I may do some of the initial work on paper and pencil. I've done 3D animation for the automotive industry for years and a little bit of character animation with some pre-rigged 3D models, but a friend of mine has a project that requires a more hand drawn look. I kinda want to avoid that very vector looking animation with super clean lines and fills gradients. Does toon boom have tools that give you this kind of look? And the ability to overlay my work on hand drawn pencil animations?

#6 06-12-2013 3:59 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

Toon Boom can provide a range of styles, from hard-vector to a softer more hand-drawn look. For the most fluid, I've heard Pencil works well. The nice thing about Toon Boom (and most of the others besides Flash) is the customization you can create for the brush tools, which will allow you to get the less-vector look you're shooting for.

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#7 06-13-2013 1:19 am

Alle
Celebrity
Karmojo: 64

Agree 100% with JKR.

You can also import 3D scene in ToonBoom if necessary. I'm just saying,  considering that you have some 3D background. wink

My 0.02 cent

#8 06-13-2013 8:21 pm

nicolasbulchak

Thanks, I really appreciate the input. I'm excited to try these

#9 07-10-2013 12:17 pm

MarkSmi

Here is another list of 2D animation software to try out.

1. Flipnote Studio
2. Pivot Stickfigure Animator
3. Stykz
4. TISFAT
5. Vectorian Giotto
All these are free so you can always try then and stick to the one that suits you best.
I also found another powerful software called Anime Studio here http://www.techyv.com/questions/animati … -studio-7. You can look at the discussion about it. It is for creating 2D movies, cartoons and other graphics.

#10 01-31-2015 5:26 am

UbaidSC

hi,

You can make 2D animation using these 5 freeware, URL: http://listoffreeware.com/list-of-best- … r-windows/

regards

#11 08-03-2017 1:32 pm

glosha002

nicolasbulchak wrote:

I am looking for some suggestions of 2d animation software. I'm new at this and I'm not sure where to start. Is there any good free open source software for this, or should i purchase software, and if so, what is the best choice. What kind of hardware setup do you guys use and what are some general starting tips I can get to start off. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I think you should try Moovly. It is perfect software for making an interactive 2d animation video. It has almost free or low budget cost. There are many benefits like you can includes different media formats, pricing structure is very low and affordable, Audio and visual elements are included in a great library, etc. If you want to know more about it. visit: Moovly Review

#12 08-03-2017 2:39 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

I'm a big fan of Pencil2D for pencil tests or for quickly planning out a shot.  TVPaint is my go to for 2d stuff though it's not free.  Pencil2d is opensource and getting improved upon quite a bit. 

PENCIL2D

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#13 08-04-2017 6:08 am

Julian87

Adobe After Effects is good.

#14 10-23-2017 12:30 pm

johnsonanna946

Hi, nicolasbulchak
you should try this software https://www.synfig.org/ it's totally free and it's really useful for 2D animations I am also using this software its great.

#15 11-12-2017 6:26 am

dannthr

nicolasbulchak wrote:

I think I may do some of the initial work on paper and pencil. I've done 3D animation for the automotive industry for years and a little bit of character animation with some pre-rigged 3D models, but a friend of mine has a project that requires a more hand drawn look. I kinda want to avoid that very vector looking animation with super clean lines and fills gradients. Does toon boom have tools that give you this kind of look? And the ability to overlay my work on hand drawn pencil animations?

Heya Nicolas!

You should totally check out OpenToonz, it seems to check a lot of your boxes:
https://opentoonz.github.io/e/

I also prefer working on pencil and paper, so this is what I use at the moment.  What's great is since it has gone open source, it has been embraced by a small community of developers who continue to improve the software, workflows, etc.

As for my setup, when I use a light-table, I use a Huion LED Light Table with an Acme Pegbar glued to it.

For scanning, I use a Mustek A3 1200S with an Acme Pegbar taped to the side to ensure registration alignment.

OpenToonz does have clean-up tools, but I prefer to batch process my scans with Photoshop (though you could totally batch it with GIMP in the same way if you need totally free).

OpenToonz is a REALLY deep program.  It supports both vector and raster work, it has a camera and scene management system, it has shader tools and effects and a VFX node-based visual scripting tool.  The challenge is there isn't a lot of reading material on it and work is ongoing in an open source environment to improve and stabilize the software.

Hope I helped a bit.

- Dan

#16 11-17-2017 11:57 pm

Herbert123

OpenToonz is getting better and better. The latest releases can be downloaded here:
https://github.com/opentoonz/opentoonz_nightlies

These include a vast number of features not yet available in the official latest build. Horizontal timeline, MyPaint bitmap brush engine, and all sorts of other improvements and bug fixes. And run much more stable than the official release at this point.

Also nice is that ClipStudio EX will export directly to OpenToonz now. They make a solid combo, and you'll get come of the best drawing and inking tools in the business.

At this point OpenToonz has advanced beyond Toonboom Advanced, and can hold its own against Premium.

And soon draw assistants! https://morevnaproject.org/2017/11/07/k … nz-funded/

Board footer