#1 04-07-2013 10:10 pm

iest_rob
Tipster
Karmojo: 29

Iestyn's '51 great animation exercises to master'

Hey folks - it's been a while since I posted on here. It's been extremely busy over here, as I was hired by the fantastic Brown Bag Films a few months back, which led me to put a halt on my own personal stuff for a wee while. 

I came across Animator Islands 51 great animation exercises to master the other day, and decided it would be great fun to go right through the list - just for practice, and thought it would be great to keep a wee log of them here, and to get some feedback while I'm at it!

So, here's the first: 01 - Bouncing Ball, no decay;

Direct Link

Onto No.2 now!

Cheers.

-----------------

Here's a quick jump to the post with the animations so far

No.3 Falling Brick
No.4 Simple character head turn

Last edited by iest_rob (07-28-2013 10:45 pm)

#2 04-07-2013 10:43 pm

Victor
Celebrity
Karmojo: 66

Re: Iestyn's '51 great animation exercises to master'

This will be fun to watch! smile Looking forward to updates. This first one looks great.

Good luck!

#3 04-09-2013 10:35 am

bownster
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 53

Yeah I agree with Victor, this will be great to watch. One thing I would look at tweaking is the sqaush and stretch, I think its abit to much, or maybe you could refrence this animation into a scene a few times and do different amounts of sqaush and stretch?

Keep Calm And Carry On Animating~www.jamesbown.co.uk~www.jamesbown.blogspot.co.uk

#4 07-23-2013 10:38 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Hey everyone,

Here's my quick '06. Character Blinking' test. I just opened up Malcolm to try the new picker this evening and just decided to see how the blinks work. More of a test than an entry to my 51 Animation exercise, but I'd like to dump it here none the less:

Direct Link

It's a 23 frame animation, looped. If anyone does have any thoughts/comments, I'd love to hear them. Now that I have some spare time again, I'm gonna get back to the list.

#5 07-24-2013 1:51 pm

L.Adams

Congrats on brown bag I've been trying to get work there for months, just applied for the modeler position but I won't hear back as usual..

Nice thread, I think we should all do basic tests now and then just to see how we have improved.

If animation is all about the 12 disciplines then why is Pocoyo so good..

#6 07-24-2013 7:51 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Hey there Lee!

Cheers, I've actually left Brown Bag now, I was there for 9 months, working on Peter Rabbit. It was a fantastic experience, amazing team, and lovely show - I'd love to head back there someday. I've just started working on a feature here in Dublin, which I'm loving!

Did you apply to anyone specifically about the modeling role? Feel free to get in touch if there's anything I can help with, BBF is a great company, and I know the folks there very well - still head out with them a lot.

#7 07-25-2013 6:49 am

L.Adams

No it wasn't anyone specific, it was just advertised on there website, i applied for the animation position (the one i really wanted) not to long ago but didn't hear back, so im trying for the modeler position. ive filled in the application sent all the bits and bobs but i haven't heard a thing yet.
Kinda disconcerting, im thinking it might be my gmail as ive applied to so many places and haven't heard back. if theirs anything you can do i would be eternally grateful smile

I will do some test my self next week see how i do...

#8 07-26-2013 3:21 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Hey Lee,

Can you email me from my website? I don't think we can PM on the forum here, just need to get a few details from yourself.

#9 07-26-2013 6:35 pm

L.Adams

Hi iest_rob,
I emailed you from you website, hope you got it.
Chat soon

#10 07-26-2013 9:03 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Hey man,

Hmmm - there seems to an error on the Contact Form, I've disabled that for the time, if you could send it again, this time using the email address that's on that Contact Page, I'd really appreciate it man. (I don't want to post my emaill address here smile )

#11 07-26-2013 9:38 pm

L.Adams

Hi Dude,

I just emailed you hope you got it, i understand you not wanting to put your email up. let me know if you get it. and sorry for the late reply been out with my kids, and only now gone on the comp smile

#12 07-27-2013 11:01 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Hello,

Here's my No.3 - 'Brick falling from a Shelf'

Direct Link

Has anyone got any notes/comments?
Many thanks!

[Clicking on 'Direct Link' under the Quicktime will take you to a bigger version]

Last edited by iest_rob (07-27-2013 11:02 pm)

#13 07-27-2013 11:26 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Hey man,

Thanks a lot for that - just had a quick play around again before I go to bed, and here what I go so far:

Direct Link

[Clicking on 'Direct Link' under the Quicktime will take you to a bigger version]

Totally agree with you about the Ice comment now. You think it's looking better now?
Cheers!

#14 07-28-2013 3:01 am

Miller
Helper
Karmojo: 14

Looks good, just a couple things I noticed.

-(frame 101-102) as the brick hits the ground it looks like it slows down instead of speeding up like it should.  Compare the distance between frames 98&99 with the distance between 101&102,and you will see what I mean. Also, it seems to skip over frame 100, so it`s hard to tell the difference between 99&101 and see if the momentum is done properly there as well. Also make sure the rotation of the brick is constant until it hits the ground, right now it looks like it slows a bit (hard to tell exactly without frame 100 being there)

-(frame 85-96) Smooth out the rotation of the brick as it starts to fall, it should gather up speed as the weight from the top of the brick starts to fall towards the ground. Frame 90-91 you see a big jump in movement compared to the movement between 89-90

-(frame 102-end) Personally I don`t think the slide works. The way you have it now, the brick lands at a 45 degree angle and you have a slight hop as it propels the brick forward and continues a rotation (which is nice).

Maybe you can try: As the top of the brick lands, it should stop the brick from forward momentum (maybe have a slight translate, not more than a couple cm`s) then as the back of the brick tried to carry forward, it does not have enough power to continue so it falls back to the ground and lands on its side (I hope that makes sense to you)

Again this is a personal choice of mine. If you like having it slide, keep it.

I hope this helps, and good luck. I really like the list you found and am I`m going to go through them myself. Thanks for sharing

#15 07-28-2013 8:42 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Hey there Miller.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I have no idea how Frame 100 went missing from the shot (there was a few more lost frames) so I played around with my QT settings, and it looks like it's exporting them all now. Very strange.

I played around with the ending just now, and came up with this as opposed to the slide:

Direct Link

I think it's working better, I didn't 100% understood what you were saying on your point - but I feel this works a bit better than the slide.

Thanks a lot!

#16 07-28-2013 10:38 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Here's No.4 before I head over to bed:

Direct Link

Simple Character head turn.
Cheers!

#17 07-29-2013 7:41 pm

omer sharon

very nice man, good stuff

#18 02-03-2014 9:57 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Hello all,

I've decided to head back and do a few more of these great exercises while the Dublin weather is urging me stay indoors in the evening. Here's the blocking for No.5 'Anticipated head turn' - if anyone has any comments, I'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback:

Direct Link

Thanking you!

#19 02-04-2014 1:33 am

ProperSauce
Rockstar
Karmojo: 71

Looks pretty good so far. I'd love to see his shoulders settle a bit slower and an anticipation on the turn to look as if he's hesitating to look at something scary and then out of nowhere soccer ball!

#20 02-04-2014 3:30 am

TaiBo
Productive!

Nice work! That elbow bent up as he is falling doesn't read well to me. Maybe have the pose with the elbow pointing down? Look forward to seeing more!

#21 02-05-2014 4:02 pm

Henk_k
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 51

Alright, some thoughts.

Interesting excersize, good stuff sir.

The 'sound' icon, while not a priority, does distract when it becomes small again. Its about as big a movement as the body take and so the eye gets mighty confused. Might just leave it up there and animate the transparancy or any other way to keep the eye clearly focussed on where it needs to go.

On the down in the take, you could push the hip, back and chest forward and down a bit, get a wave through the WHOLE spine instead of just a small bit of energy through the shoulders. You know.. sell the idea. and the idea is good!

I'd suggest having him look left for 4 frames so it actually reads as a look. Altough this is artistic choice at play here. Having hit right in the turn would surprise the viewer even more. Your call.

On the impact, you could cheat and animate the guy forward for one frame, so the ball and the guy collide, unrealisticly but you'll sell the HIT much harder.

Careful with the frame where there's just the hand in. The flow of the arm gets broken by the poor posing choice to push the IK toward the body too far.

That said, great test Iestyn!

#22 11-20-2014 4:31 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Hello,

Played with this with my morning coffee, 'Flour sack jump':

Direct Link

#23 11-20-2014 8:26 pm

ricekrispyninja
Ninja Superstar!!
Karmojo: 90

GREAT STUFF!!!

"animate, Animate, ANIMATE"

#24 11-20-2014 9:25 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

Nice surprise, but not sure if it feels a little strange that the movement to screen left has no overlap

#25 11-23-2014 6:18 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Hello,

Thanks for your messages guys - I've added some overlap to that screen left movement - thanks Steve. I'll upload another version later.

I went ahead and animated the 'character blinking' exercise - kept it simple, any thoughts?

Direct Link

On a side note, does anyone know why some of the numbers in the frame counter goes black? I can't for the life of me figure it out. And also, anyone else having problems viewing any Quicktime movies in your chrome browser - mine updated to x64 bit (Mac), and there doesn't seem to be a QT x64 plug-in available.

Board footer