#1 06-30-2008 12:37 am

eric s
Administrator
Karmojo: 26
Administrator

Helpful Hints launches!

I am pleased to announce the beginning of a new and soon to be expanded feature here at the 11 Second Club: Helpful Hints

Helpful Hints will be a series of articles designed to help you get the most out of the 11 Second Club, focusing on areas where people seem to run into trouble or have questions about.   Some of the time these will be animation-related and other times they will be directed more towards technical aspects of participating in the 11 Second Club.

Our first article deals with encoding your video so that it will upload properly to the monthly competition.  Every month there are new members entering the competition and many people have trouble getting their video to upload and play properly.   With the June deadline coming up very shortly, we hope that this quick walkthrough will help anyone who is having difficulty with their files.

You can read the brand new article here: Helpful Hints: Encoding

Enjoy, and good luck!

- Eric

The world is full of diamonds; go out and find them.

#2 07-02-2008 5:02 pm

JohnnyBGoode
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 35

Re: Helpful Hints launches!

Excellent idea! Thank you! big_smile

#3 08-06-2008 2:25 am

unclemark45
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 33

This is a great idea and a perfect resource for a beginner like me.  What's on tap for this month?

#4 08-06-2008 7:38 am

TheGoozer
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 36

Yep... can't wait for the next article to.

Isn't your life a storyboard?

#5 08-06-2008 12:09 pm

bog
Administrator
Karmojo: 54
Administrator

Hey all,

We have several topics coming soon.  Eric is traveling around the country this month so we'll probably see the next Helpful Hint by early next month.

#6 08-12-2008 6:49 pm

RAJ

Thank you! THIS is helpfulll........

#7 08-13-2008 5:39 am

SebT
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 34

that's really really cool thanks a lot smile

#8 08-13-2008 6:34 am

abhijitb
Celebrity
Karmojo: 62

hi this is so coool, i can learn a lot THANKS.

#9 08-13-2008 9:37 pm

Monkey Boy
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 39

this will be such a great help to everyone, it would be good to see some help files for different software like XSI (the one im forced to use at university) maya, cinema 4d and others

thank you again for the heads up

#10 08-14-2008 2:50 am

eric s
Administrator
Administrator

Hey everyone!

It's true, I'm on the road and a bit unable to put together any Helpful Hints at the moment.  But believe me, there are ideas in the hopper and I'm fleshing them out even as we speak.   I can't wait to bring you the next one very soon.

As for your suggestion, Monkey Boy, I think we are going to try to focus on tips that are non-platform and non-software specific.   There are a lot of great resources online for learning your particular software; the forums at CGTalk.com are a great place to start.  My intention is to look at certain concepts and ideas that will help make stronger 11 Second Club entries.   Also note that this doesn't necessarily mean that I will be teaching animation, as there are plenty of places online to learn those skills.   The purpose of the Helpful Hints column should become more clear once the next one is posted--I promise to do my best to make that shortly after I return home in about two weeks.   smile

Cheers!

nd thank you, Monkey Boy for your suggestion!   I should mention that if anyone else has any suggestions for topics they are struggling with

#11 08-14-2008 12:30 pm

Monkey Boy
Upstanding Citizen

I understand what you mean now, well it will still be a great thing to have as it will help many people out there, i know i struggle myself with the story telling and putting across the emotions that my characters are feeling, i hope that a lot of people will put there sugestions for topics on here as it will make the section a lot stronger with many people having the same issues as others in there entries.

i hope to be putting my entry in this month it will be my first, i've got a healthy little completion going with a member of my University who is also entering this months so with a little look if i don't come top in 11SC's i will in ours smile

would just like to finish by saying thank you for the heads up on this section of the sit and i can't wait till it gets up and running fully with a lot more helpful hits and good look to everyone entering this months.

also i hope you have a great time Eric, get back safe.

#12 08-14-2008 3:17 pm

eric s
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks, Monkey Boy.   And you're right, I'm happy to take suggestions from anyone who wants to post them in this thread.  I'll do my best to make the Helpful Hints useful to everyone.   smile

Good luck on this month's entry--and trouncing your friend.   wink

#13 08-14-2008 3:36 pm

ivanlancaster
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 37

Hello. Interesting discussion, so thought I'd add my piece.

Not sure if i'm completely off the mark here, but i'd like to know a few helpful hints about some MEL scripts or plugins that can help out an animator's workflow. I hear tragidiTools are pretty awesome.

have a safe trip, eric!

-ivan

#14 09-05-2008 10:01 am

Monkey Boy
Upstanding Citizen

hi, i was wondering how do you get to the helpful hints page without having to click the above link. i thought the URL would be as simple as http://www.11secondclub.com/helpful_hints/ but that doesn't work so could someone tell me where to click or if there is even a page with the helpful hints on it.

#15 09-05-2008 6:49 pm

eric s
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Monkey Boy,

At the moment, the Encoding link is the only Helpful Hint available, which is why that is the only url you can access at the moment.

However, fear not: there is a brand new Helpful Hint that will be coming your way this very weekend!   I'm really excited about this one.   And, of course, there's more to come in the future as well.

There are also plans for a place to see the available Helpful Hints gathered together in one place (so you don't have to keep coming back to this thread to find each individual Hint), so stay tuned.   It's a-comin'.   smile

#16 09-07-2008 2:38 pm

Monkey Boy
Upstanding Citizen

Awesome i can't wait to see a page with them all them on, and im looking forward to the updates to see what there is smile

thank you everyone for this forum and the help that is has and soon will have smile

#17 09-09-2008 2:02 am

eric s
Administrator
Administrator

Hey Monkey Boy (and everyone else, too)

Just wanted to let you know that all of the Helpful Hints will now be able to be accessed, along with all of the Winners Interviews, on the left hand side of the Resources page.    I look forward to seeing the list fill up.   smile

Also, be sure to check out the new Helpful Hint, Presentation

Cheers!   smile

#18 09-09-2008 9:41 am

Monkey Boy
Upstanding Citizen

Great work thank you for the heads up, its great to be able to go there now rather then coming to the posts to find the links, best things is, if you have subscribed to the RSS feed for 11SC it comes up on there when a new Hint is published which is great.

well thanks again, i loved this one it was some stuff i already have figured about but a lot that i didn't so once again thank you.

Board footer