#1 07-25-2007 2:57 am

jamagica
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 32

my first decent character anim

Pass 1..basic..very basic poses...are these poses clear? I notice that one thing about this chracter I'm using is that the gaps between joints cause confusion...anyways..

My question is whether or not these poses are exaggerated enough...during the part of "never get involved" I feel like the pose is either over exaggerated or awkward looking...tell me what you guys think:

Direct Link

Direct Link

Direct Link

EDIT: any critiques NEEDED

Last edited by jamagica (07-28-2007 3:53 am)

#2 07-25-2007 9:21 pm

jamagica
Upstanding Citizen

Re: my first decent character anim

I must say I'm quite surprised no one's responded yet haha.

#3 07-26-2007 2:12 am

Cujo
Upstanding Citizen

Ok, I will be the first one. hehe

Good start to begin with. Posing is ok. first 2 key poses are working but you gotta do something with the legs and feet. They are pinned down from begining til end. Try acting it out. Observe your movements, acting as well as experience it meaning get into character. Feel what the character feels. if you can video tape that, it should give you more ideas and possibilities.

Hope it helps.

- Cujo

#4 07-26-2007 2:42 am

cube5x5
Tipster
Karmojo: 28

I agree with cujo.  You need to understand why the character is saying what he's saying.  Give him and the scene a little background. 

Be very careful with this diologue, I've seen a lot of people have a lot of trouble with it.

GOOD LUCK!

-Dan

Scire tuum nihil est, nisi te scire hoc sciat alter

#5 07-26-2007 3:53 am

jamagica
Upstanding Citizen

thanks guys...I'm rerigging the guy right now (and clearing up gaps between joints) to make things better..

I had a feeling some feet movement would do it..I'm just afraid to move 'em because I suck at animating weight shifts haha

#6 07-26-2007 4:31 am

DharAM
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Boy did you pick a tough one lol

Hard to say what it is you're going for, but I'd watch the silhouette for now.

"Technology doesn't make the motion picture, people do. You're not an animator just because you can move an object from point A to point B. (You're) someone who breathes life into a character, which is something the software and technology can't give you."

- John Lasseter

#7 07-26-2007 5:26 am

jamagica
Upstanding Citizen

well I've got another pass uploaded..just a few minutes and it's up...I'm starting to be proud of this...I'm liking the poses I've come up with.(obviously..haha..I"m the one animating).

Dhar, I'm trying to make him as if it's a guy going psycho, to generalize it haha.

Well, here it is:

Direct Link

#8 07-26-2007 8:39 pm

jamagica
Upstanding Citizen

ok pass 3 is up (see top of page). I"m quite proud of what I've done so far...many other times I've failed up to thsi stage..haha..
Pass 3:
*changed to linear interpolation
*adjust timing
*blocked in holds
*added sub-poses
* slightly adjust arcs
*extremed some poses
*became proud that i'm an animator

#9 07-27-2007 1:36 am

Cujo
Upstanding Citizen

Hey, sorry to burst your bubble but you are still quite far away. So far the key poses are much better. BUt you will need more breakdowns. If you don't know some terms I am talking about let me know.

The first pose is an anticipation to go to the second pose. But I think you can add a pose before the 1st one like a more neutral pose.

What I suggest is to keep the animation in step mode (Maya) or constant (XSI) through out the blocking. You can switch back and forth between linear and constant.

Another thing, if you don't have Richard William's Animator's Survival Kit Book, I suggest you get it. Read it from beginning to end.

Cheers.

- Cujo

#10 07-27-2007 2:07 am

jamagica
Upstanding Citizen

cujo-
no bubble bursted...I was simply stating I was proud of what I've done so far..haha

Hehe, funny you should suggest that book...I have it...maybe I should look at it some more.

I also do switch between held and linear very often...sometimes my judgement of timing, however, isn't too good since this is my 2nd attempted character animation. That's why I feel linear is sometimes better.

Thanks, Cujo

#11 07-28-2007 3:54 am

jamagica
Upstanding Citizen

pass 4 is up...broke down a bit more

Board footer