#51 09-23-2012 7:39 pm

TaiBo
Productive!

Re: Alcoholic in a zombie world

p.s. how did you get a video to play as the bg? that's awesome!

#52 09-23-2012 8:21 pm

characteranim78
Celebrity
Karmojo: 63
Productive!

Thanks for all the comments! The hair could drop a tad once she is more in the truck that is not a big deal to adjust a tad, and I had thought about that before so now that someone mentioned it I will prob tweak it a lil, otherwise it might keep me up at nights LOL TaiBO, darn if I am not getting you with the eyes then I am failing and thats not good, I don't ever want her to go dead so I will see what I can do to keep them alive and keep her feeling alive. As far as the video BG, I'm not telling! hahhahah nah just messing, I found free stock video that matched the composition I was going for, took that movie exported out a image sequence of it through after effects, went to maya created an image plane for my camera imported the image seq I made into the cam made sure image seq was checked, and that was pretty much it, I am a huge fan of all the old matte paintings in old sci fi and westerns, and its really a nice easy way to put characters in a real world environment. Oh yea I also took the first frame of my image seq and made a image based lighting system in my file which bounces the colors and light of that image on the characters and models to kinda bring it all together and feel like they are at least kinda matching or what not.
I had only wished I found stock footage that was cruising a bit faster, I speed up the movie I found but you can only speed it up soo much before you run out of footage, then I realized I had a cut in my shot so to buy more footage I created a cut in the bg movie I made, still not as fast as I wanted but then I realized further she does a decent amount of moving around so I really don't want to make the truck move jet rocket fast anyway, then I realized further that they are in this zombie world, have no idea whats ahead, so it should be a proceed with caution kinda ride, not fast and furious. Ok I am done rambling on and on LOL.

Don Dixon
Animator
Reel Fx Animation Studios
Blog:http://www.dondixon.blogspot.com

#53 09-23-2012 9:23 pm

TaiBo
Productive!

nice i didn't know you could import image sequences, sounds simple. and wow you really put thought into their driving speed, lol.

#54 09-24-2012 12:53 pm

characteranim78
Celebrity
Productive!

Thanks man, and yes its a pretty simple process to get footage into your scene, and fun too!! LOL and Yea I put a lot of thought into the driving speed, into the emotion, and into Jane ( the red heads) story. Even though theres is absolutly nothing that shows she has seen zombies, and death, and sadness, I still had a back story for her, it helped me figure her out more, sure I have a few signs the dirt and blood on her face, which I tried to keep subtle, and of course the shotgun, but the real story for me was her desire to drink after so many years because she has seen so much horror, so that is what I really wanted to try and get across. In my head she hasn't had a drink in ten years, so for her to be even considering it in my shot, means something really F'd up must have happened previous, I also like the idea I not knowing by the end of the shot whether or not she drinks, I feel she has made up her mind to do it, yet there's still this struggle with going through with it. Rodney the black dude with her is just over it all and has no conflict and just doesnt give a carp either way as to what she does, honestly he is kinda meaningless in the shot except for one thing, his presence allows a temptation for Jane to drink again.

D!

Don Dixon
Animator

#55 09-24-2012 2:55 pm

s.mani.1984

Hi characteranim78,

I saw your rendered output. I just felt one thing can be improved. At the end, when she says "Haven't I", may be you can lift the shoulders up as she is asking a question, so it matches the dialogue.

Mani

#56 09-24-2012 3:21 pm

characteranim78
Celebrity
Productive!

Hey thanks Mani, the only reason I might not do that is because when she says "havent I, she is dropping her hand with the bottle which would make her shoulders drop, so I will take another look maybe I could have her drop the bottle sooner then drop the shoulders and then on havent I raise them again, I just don't want it to start feeling like she is hitting too many poses since its at the end of the shot. But I am always willing to try out new things and explore new ideas.

D!

Don Dixon
Animator

Board footer