#1 09-08-2012 7:50 pm

ISuggestYouChill

Grandma W.I.P. - Excited and ready to try this out

Hi Everyone.

Excited to try out for the first time trying out for the 11 second club.  I will be try to keep this updated on weekly basis before the submission just to keep up to date on progress and what I need to improve.  Hey gotta start somewhere.

Concept is basically this.  Grandmother who's been paraplegic for years or chair ridden.  Yes I saw the battlestar galatica scene but i figured it works better as more a subtle scene than what they had.

Right now i've only gotten done the basic movements and the general timing and essentially the BIG or Major poses I want people to see at main keyframes. 

Couple of concerns I have:
I'm still not happy with the way the characters positions in terms of depth towards the camera.  The camera will STAY static but i just feel the depth between them if i start interpolating will have hard time defining a good arching motion especially when she moves the hands as she swings them across to clasp her hands together.

My indication for weight distribution between the way she readjust herself on chair will be tough and i'm just wondering if you guys have any good ideas to come up for anticipating and following through with the motion. 

Also, i feel like i need to do something more with her legs than just adjusting the knees, any ideas on there because i'm still doing some film references looking at myself with my knees on chair.

Also, i think it's still too long....

I'll start adding the inbetween keyframes starting next week and possibly start basic interpolation just to get the feel of the movement.

Included you'll see the basic breakdown of my animatic/storyboards with hatch marks and of course first blocking stages.
I'm going at a 30 frame per second Frame rate and right now the frames are at 420 frames(i know...TOO LONG)...but you guys got any good timing tricks to consider, i'll gladly accept it.

Animatic

Direct Link

Blocking Stage: first Pass- Sorry if it's too low quality...i'll try re uploading a fresh one if I can.

Direct Link

Come one Come all at Every comment and issue you have with the blocking and animatic.

Appreciate the help. big_smile

#2 09-13-2012 5:06 am

ISuggestYouChill

Re: Grandma W.I.P. - Excited and ready to try this out

Hey Guys...just keeping you up to date.

Thankfully the Quality is getting better.  Sorry for the last one for the first part

This is the Second pass of Blocking that will include the Inbetween Keyframes(helps with my timing and ease-in and ease-outs)

Direct Link

This here is my first pass for the Interpolation- everything in blocking was all plateaued Splined currently.
Yes a lot of it is floaty, but I'm fixing it.  Yes the eases are WAY off...but i'm getting to them.  Also I've noticed my shoulder at the tapping.  They're all being worked on.

Direct Link

Comments and Criticisms are ALL welcome.  big_smile

P.S.
If for some reason the first videos are working...I'll post it up again...Sorry Had to sort out my playlist.

#3 09-13-2012 10:31 am

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Hi!
I think you went into spline too soon, but that's a workflow issue and everybody is working differently. Most animators who are starting on stepped are usually staying in stepped until they have a key on every 2nd to 4th frame, though.
Now, you are animation the torso/hips heavily (far too much for a person in a wheelchair, imo), so her upper body is changing shape and volume all the time, and you have some weird pops above the hips. I believe this is happening because you're animating too many controllers at once, I would suggest you animate either the FK controllers OR the IK controllers only (maybe touch the IK after the FK if you need to make some slight adjustments)
Other than that, keep going!

#4 09-18-2012 10:49 pm

Shreweyes

Hi there,
First of all just want to say, I'm not a great animator by a long shot, I'm having a few splining issues myself, but i think if it was me posting something i'd welcome all criticism as long as it's constructive!

First off i like the idea and the concept of the piece, there is a lot of potential for some great emotional poses.

For me i could'not quite get what she was actually doing throughout the scene I'd suggest maybe acting it out on film and seeing how drastically your work will change (for the better)

i personally like to block out my lip syncing too but that's about preference and i'm not going to say theres a right or wrong way for that because i don't think there is

also i think the hands and elbows go a bit crazy so i'd try and tone that down

but i think there is potential there for some great poses especially facial

her body and face is quite floaty i think what would be cool is if her body language and her facial movements captured her distress!

hope this helps!

#5 09-21-2012 9:49 pm

ISuggestYouChill

Hey Guys... Sorry I haven't been updating but....yeah...I had to concentrate.

Anywho, THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH.  Always needed this type of help when i was learning.

I finally noticing how off i am with my blocking because i tend to think in seconds first instead of frames.  At this stage I'm making sure i'm doing every important frame and anticipation and exaggerated frames at least at 2 to 4 frames off so i can determine my follow through.

And yes, you were SOO right on me jumping into spline mode, I think from now on i'm going to go from stepped to flat tangents because splined tends to work better for me as finessing touches when i start fine tuning eases, exaggeration ect.

As to the movements, the intent was to make her partially-paraplegic at least from the waste down with intent of using another character, but i don't think i can add that unless i focus on one character.  I do agree that for her character her arms move a lot, but personally, my intent was to get good arching motion with her moving her arm across.

Here's the latest on my interpolation.  Before the end of the competition, I'll try to upload the facial expression passes and mouth movement.

I'll admit at this stage, i still need to fix A LOT of the floating, but i think with it here, it's helping me show how worn down she is, but then again...it does seem lazy of me not watching those errors.  Also now i can see why to watch it because, i'm just not getting the decent follow through and overlapping actions i'm intending for it.

Direct Link

Anywho....Keep Critiquing and I'm dialing in better and making it look awesome.
Btw...I'm defiantly keeping this to be part of my portfolio, because it's looking awesome to me.

#6 09-27-2012 6:33 am

ISuggestYouChill

Hey Everyone....This will be the last update before I start Rendering.

Sorry it took so long, but Lip-syncing has never been my strongest attribute so I hope I got the timing down right and made it look...strong.

Direct Link

Anyway...Have at you the last comments and critiques before i make any final changes before the deadline.

Thanks again people and this was a Lot of Fun and i hope i can continue doing this next month.

Cheers

#7 09-29-2012 1:10 am

ISuggestYouChill

Hey Everyone,  this will be the last post

This is the final Render:  Enjoy and I'll try to do another one next month

Direct Link

Anyway, All constructive criticisms will be happily accepted and If you can, please help vote for me an all the good entrants.

Good luck Everyone and i'll be helping critiquing as best I can

Board footer