#1 09-07-2012 3:16 pm

ccutler
Productive!

Chad Cutler - September 2012 WIP

Hey, hey, hey.

So, I've got two different ideas for this month, and I would like an opinion as to how to proceed with it.  I've got storyboards thus far (and I have access to a scanner now, so they're not all grey and weird looking like before!):

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh320/trine_37/11SecondClub_september_storyboard_01.jpg

This one's going for more of a serious tone; character monologue type of thing where she'll be sitting in sort of a dank-looking room and waxing poetic.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh320/trine_37/11SecondClub_september_storyboard_02.jpg

And this one is more like a stage performance type thing, with an attempt at a comedic twist at the end.

Also did animatics for both of them:

Direct Link

Direct Link

Personally, I'm leaning more toward the first one, since most of my stuff already has more of a comedic vibe to it (although there's no outright physical comedy this time around), but I'd still like to hear some thoughts.

Thanks much!

#2 09-07-2012 5:51 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

Re: Chad Cutler - September 2012 WIP

Not sure I get the comedic twist, could you explain?

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#3 09-07-2012 11:54 pm

pollywoggles

I think the comedic twist is when the second guy shakes his head "no," after she asks "haven't I?"

Paul

#4 09-08-2012 2:33 am

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

pollywoggles wrote:

I think the comedic twist is when the second guy shakes his head "no," after she asks "haven't I?"

Ah. I see. That's an interesting take on the audio!

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#5 09-10-2012 3:04 pm

ccutler
Productive!

Yeah, that was the intent.  Probably should have actually explained it instead of just having it partially scrawled on the storyboard.

Any thoughts on which one specifically I should go with, or should I just kinda start working on both and see where that gets me?  One way or the other, I'll probably have pencil test(s) up in the next couple days.

#6 09-11-2012 9:06 pm

ccutler
Productive!

Alrighty, as promised, here are my pencil tests.  Still haven't quite decided which idea to go with; as I've said, I'm sort of leaning toward the first one, but I've been wrong before.

Direct Link

Direct Link

#7 09-12-2012 12:29 pm

zlatantoon

looking good..smile

#8 09-13-2012 7:42 pm

ccutler
Productive!

And here we have the initial blocking poses.  Still not entirely sure which treatment to go with, but I'm leaning more and more toward the first one.  Either way, I might finish both off just to see if I can do it, and then submit whichever turns out the best, but we'll see what happens.

Anywho, here's #1:

Direct Link

I know she looks a little mannish, but I did what I could.

And #2:

Direct Link

Things I already know about the second one: the smile toward the end is soulless and a little bit terrifying (it's really just a placeholder now more than anything), and I need to work on the dude's head shake (ie, adjust the speed, have more than just his head moving).

Feedback is, as always, much appreciated.

#9 09-14-2012 2:43 am

Polish63
Helper
Karmojo: 16

I'd go with the first one. With a little refinement on the first couple poses it'll be pretty solid. I'd like to see the eyes at the beginning. Also this post on SplineDoctors is pretty helpful about avoiding generic poses http://splinedoctors.com/2009/10/a-gest … ure-there/

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. -Walt Disney

#10 09-24-2012 7:10 pm

ccutler
Productive!

Thanks for the feedback!  Totally didn't mean to take like a week off there, but that's how she goes.  Anyway, here's a more refined blocking pass:

Direct Link

Got her eyes as visible as I could at the beginning while still keeping her looking sort of downtrodden.  I'm assuming by "generic poses" you meant the one toward the end where she's got the hand over her eyes, but I'm sort of hesitant to change it at this stage in the game.  Any suggestions are more than welcome, though, of course.

Should have it at least in linear by tomorrow.  Thanks much!

#11 09-25-2012 3:11 pm

ccutler
Productive!

Alrighty, and here we have a linear pass:

Direct Link

No eases in/out or anything like that yet, so it's still choppy in some places, and I'm probably gonna end up finessing the ending pose a little bit.

#12 09-26-2012 4:20 pm

ccutler
Productive!

And here we have it in spline tangents:

Direct Link

Aside from facial animation, it's about done as far as I can tell, but if anyone's got any more suggestions, I should still have time to implement them and tweak as necessary.

#13 09-26-2012 7:52 pm

characteranim78
Celebrity
Karmojo: 63
Productive!

Right now on her head shake she is shaking with her entire upper body and her neck and her head, its such a big shake and feels unnatural, look in he mirror and shake your head and then see if what you are doing is what is being done in your animation. The placement of the left hand and the gun feels a bit unnatural and there are some IK/constraint pops that you might want to try and clean up when releasing the weapon from her hand. After she takes off her helmet there is a fast jut to screen left that feels awkward. When she puts her head on her left hand then pulls her hand away, take a look at the finger/hand pose, as she raises her head and separates it from her hand the fingers keep the same shape they had when the head was resting on it. Try and relax those finger and get a different shape as they pull away. Anyway those are a few things that stood out to me. Keep rocking!

D!

Don Dixon
Animator
Reel Fx Animation Studios
Blog:http://www.dondixon.blogspot.com

#14 09-27-2012 3:11 pm

ccutler
Productive!

Thanks much for the feedback.  I think I more or less got everything you hit on here:

Direct Link

Kept a little bit of the upper body movement in the head shake at the beginning, 'cause I thought it felt too static otherwise, but I toned it way down.  But, like I've said a few times I'm sure, I've been wrong before, and if anyone thinks I should get rid of it completely, it'll take me all of thirty seconds.

Should have lip sync done later today.

Thanks again!

#15 09-27-2012 8:32 pm

ccutler
Productive!

And here we have facial animation and lip sync:

Direct Link

Tomorrow I'm probably going to focus mainly on getting it ready to render, but last-minute comments or critiques would be much appreciated.

Thanks much!

Board footer