#1 09-06-2012 6:53 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

JK - "Tomorrow" September Concept

I really don't have time to enter this month, sadly, but I needed a break from doing some other work today so I tossed together a concept that I probably WOULD do, if I was going to enter.

http://www.fredthemonkey.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/animalRescue.png

We recently visited an Animal Shelter and the cats and dogs in their little cages all seemed to be very much thinking things like this month's audio quote... It was hard to see.

Anyway, for future "breaks" I might do some keyframes, but as I said I've got a huge amount to do this and next month, so it probably won't go any farther. If anyone wants the idea, though, you're more than welcome! I sure would enjoy giving it a shot... Maybe I can cut down on hours sleeping or something. tongue

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#2 09-07-2012 3:32 am

TaiBo
Productive!

Re: JK - "Tomorrow" September Concept

great solid drawing!

#3 09-08-2012 2:23 pm

Morpheus306
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 53

Yes it is hard seeing all those animals in there but it's better than being out in the street alone and sick.  The great thing about the states is the commitment to helping stray and needy animals.  Anyway, I'm not listening to the audio until later because I want to see if people can tell a story simply by using images rather than just relying too much on the audio.  Not much to say here about the story but in terms of story telling poses try using the whole body.  In the bottom picture of the cat he's just standing there stiff, what are you trying to convey?  I know I've mentioned this to you already but don't be afraid to push the pose.  Push the expression, body language, line thickness, etc.  I'm not saying it has to be super cartoony ala tex Avery but really make us "feel" the emotion rather than just seeing a cat standing without purpose.  We all get busy but I would like to see more poses, you don't need to spend a lot of time on them and I think it would be good practice.

#4 09-08-2012 6:30 pm

TaiBo
Productive!

Wow Morpheus I just saw your resume. The Simpsons! That is fantastic!

#5 09-09-2012 3:49 am

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Morpheus306 wrote:

Not much to say here about the story but in terms of story telling poses try using the whole body.  In the bottom picture of the cat he's just standing there stiff, what are you trying to convey?  I know I've mentioned this to you already but don't be afraid to push the pose.  Push the expression, body language, line thickness, etc.  I'm not saying it has to be super cartoony ala tex Avery but really make us "feel" the emotion rather than just seeing a cat standing without purpose.  We all get busy but I would like to see more poses, you don't need to spend a lot of time on them and I think it would be good practice.

Oh believe me I've been listening! These aren't actually sketches that would be in the animation (well, the dog pose perhaps) but more me feeling my way around in the dark to see what the character would be like, you know? More like a model sheet concept than anything that I'd put into the final piece. The "surprised" look would have no place with this month's audio, I just drew it to get a feel for the cat. smile

But thanks, I definitely have been paying attention and your advice on pushing poses has helped me IMMENSELY. I can't thank you enough for your words of wisdom, it's been game-changing.

---

#6 09-10-2012 7:13 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

http://www.fredthemonkey.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/animalRescue2.png

Taking a break from other work so I did another sketch. Closer to what's in my head, I guess, but still not quite there. I feel like the animal isn't "girl" enough, though not sure how to fix that, and in general it could use some stronger composition. But for now, something to show. smile

---

#7 09-11-2012 2:45 am

Pips

@JKR Nice sketch ,i like the emotion smile

“There's no easier way to do something, than to understand it” Richard Williams.

Sabarishwar L.R
http://sabarishwar.blogspot.in/

#8 09-11-2012 11:17 pm

Morpheus306
Model Citizen

Hey, not bad on the second pic.  Still a little on the stiff side but it's a solid drawing.  After my last post I thought I would do a little exercise for you.  I took your cat pic(from memory sorry) and made a variety of poses to flush out the character, but I didn't draw the eyes, eye brows, or mouth.  All the story telling is in the poses themselves using only the body.  Unless it's a close up shot you want the facial expression to boost the emotion given in the body.  Like I said they don't have to be Tex Avery style wild poses, but as you can see I get a wide range of emotions just using the body.  Even the caged pic I drew I added horizontal bars to frame the sad eyes; but that's more composition.  When exploring a character don't feel like you're tied down to a design and just have fun with the character.  Also going back to our discussion about appeal try not to make your forms so symmetrical, meaning if I cut it in half each side is the same.  Asymmetry is like an Acme instant appeal pill, works every time.  I like how you're still exploring the character and often time that's the best part of drawing.  Try this exercise using any character and see how many emotions you can get using only the bod.  Keep it up!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eab98q98hn2u4mg/Kats.jpg

Last edited by Morpheus306 (09-11-2012 11:21 pm)

#9 09-12-2012 5:29 am

TaiBo
Productive!

JK you could even do the trick they used with Puss and Boots and Ren and Stimpy...Where the characters eyes become huuuge puppy dog eyes with long eyelashes, dilated pupils, and reflective dots. But only for one part, like they've noticeably changed to manipulate the other characters emotions.

#10 09-12-2012 12:28 pm

zlatantoon

Jep! Great Character smile
Keep going!

#11 09-12-2012 2:19 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

TaiBo wrote:

JK you could even do the trick they used with Puss and Boots and Ren and Stimpy...Where the characters eyes become huuuge puppy dog eyes with long eyelashes, dilated pupils, and reflective dots. But only for one part, like they've noticeably changed to manipulate the other characters emotions.

Good point, TaiBo! I'll play with the eyes more and see what I can come up with. I don't want to go TOO big, but I think there's definitely room for improvement there.

Morpheus306 wrote:

Hey, not bad on the second pic.  Still a little on the stiff side but it's a solid drawing.  After my last post I thought I would do a little exercise for you.  I took your cat pic(from memory sorry) and made a variety of poses to flush out the character, but I didn't draw the eyes, eye brows, or mouth.  All the story telling is in the poses themselves using only the body.  Unless it's a close up shot you want the facial expression to boost the emotion given in the body.  Like I said they don't have to be Tex Avery style wild poses, but as you can see I get a wide range of emotions just using the body.  Even the caged pic I drew I added horizontal bars to frame the sad eyes; but that's more composition.  When exploring a character don't feel like you're tied down to a design and just have fun with the character.  Also going back to our discussion about appeal try not to make your forms so symmetrical, meaning if I cut it in half each side is the same.  Asymmetry is like an Acme instant appeal pill, works every time.  I like how you're still exploring the character and often time that's the best part of drawing.  Try this exercise using any character and see how many emotions you can get using only the bod.  Keep it up!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eab98q98hn2u4mg/Kats.jpg

Wow as usual, Dane. Geez, those are so solid AND fluid. Yes, that's definitely something I'm trying to get better at. I'm finally making progress on the solid part, but the fluidity escapes me unless I'm specifically going for keeping things loose (at which point the solid drawing aspect falters)! More practice. Always more practice...

It's funny you should mention the "emote via poses minus faces" exercise. Yesterday afternoon I did that very thing from the book Animated Performance by Nancy Beiman! It went terribly, ha ha. But it was a good lesson to learn and I'm going to try to keep up with it on a daily basis. I guess my biggest difficulty at the moment is I very much feel "tied down" to a design (or just good design) and I'm finding it tough to ignore that part while doing the different pose concepts. The tricky thing for me is transferring loose, life-filled roughs back into the designed character. They never seem to quite meld. I think I need to get the character in my bloodstream more before I tackle that. I'm not sure, I have to keep trying to figure it out.

Well now I'm really inspired to make the effort to actually produce this! Sigh... I guess I better find some room in my already overstuffed schedule...

Thanks for the thoughts, everybody!

---

#12 09-12-2012 11:12 pm

Morpheus306
Model Citizen

JKR wrote:

It's funny you should mention the "emote via poses minus faces" exercise. Yesterday afternoon I did that very thing from the book Animated Performance by Nancy Beiman! It went terribly, ha ha. But it was a good lesson to learn and I'm going to try to keep up with it on a daily basis. I guess my biggest difficulty at the moment is I very much feel "tied down" to a design (or just good design) and I'm finding it tough to ignore that part while doing the different pose concepts. The tricky thing for me is transferring loose, life-filled roughs back into the designed character. They never seem to quite meld. I think I need to get the character in my bloodstream more before I tackle that. I'm not sure, I have to keep trying to figure it out.

Try not to think about it in terms of final design.  When I did my cat sketches I wasn't thinking about a design nor was I trying to tie myself down to one, I just drew.  I had a basic idea of shapes I wanted to use and proportions but I wasn't consciously thinking "this has to look a specific way down to the smallest detail"  I think that's your biggest obstacle right now is not over thinking it.  I went through the same thing many times throughout my life and the only thing that changed it for me was just practice practice practice.  Mainly just drawing, no school assignments or scenes from work just drawing for the fun of it.  Of course the pencil mileage I gained while working on Simpsons helped also because I was drawing 8 hours a day sometimes 7 days a week.  I guess next time you sit down to draw just let your arm do the work and put your brain on the sidelines.  Don't think about the character think about the emotion you're trying to show and use the character to portray it.  Don't worry though all things comes through practice; just remember, don't think just do!

#13 09-13-2012 3:05 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

I should get "don't think just do" tattooed on my hand. smile

Trying to get out of my own way, here are some poses I did while I was also watching the Pirates baseball game. You can kind of tell what was happening in the game based on the poses, ha ha.

http://www.fredthemonkey.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/moreKat.jpg

(Really kind of like that last one at the very bottom. Man do I need a lot of practice at hands. I'm still afraid of them. No confidence.)

Last edited by JKR (09-13-2012 3:06 pm)

---

#14 09-13-2012 3:16 pm

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

#15 09-13-2012 6:53 pm

Pips

@jkr

nice drawings ,with gud line of action ,i like the last one.

“There's no easier way to do something, than to understand it” Richard Williams.

Sabarishwar L.R
http://sabarishwar.blogspot.in/

#16 09-14-2012 3:54 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Sigh, got caught up in details again. Ah well, I like that last one at the bottom. (Maybe the lesson is "draw a lot and never stop" because the last one I do seems to keep being my favorite! tongue )

http://www.fredthemonkey.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/moreKat02.png

---

#17 09-16-2012 11:12 pm

Morpheus306
Model Citizen

These look better, what pencil and paper are you using?  Believe it or not the kind of pencil and paper makes a difference when drawing.  For example I use prisma colored pencils on newsprint because the pencil goes on smooth and lets my wrist draw in a quick and light way while also allowing dark/hard lines.  I use that mainly for sketching but I also can do more finished works.  The newsprint also allows me to use the color white which can really make my pics pop.  Sometimes I'll switch to animation paper and col-erase pencils, again it all depends on how my wrist is feeling.  Prisma color on tracing paper is also a great combination.  It looks like you're using a regular HB pencil on white paper, but I could be wrong.  I hate drawing on computer printer paper, something about the texture just doesn't agree with my wrist and my drawings look terrible.  Also my computer sketches aren't nearly as good as paper ones, unless it's ToonBoom Harmony in which case my drawings look great.  So I think you should experiment and find that perfect combination that works for you.   Everyone is different and we all use different tools.  For a professional example Glenn Keanne uses, or used to atleast, strictly black china pencils.  In fact when the company was going out of business he bought the entire remaining stock because that was his "magic wand" so to speak.  I think youre stuff will look tons better and you'll start to feel that "just do it" if you find that perfect combination because your hand will just glide on it's own.  Oh and can you send me an email? I wanted to ask you about something, good luck!

#18 09-17-2012 2:49 am

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Email sent!

As far as paper and pencils, I don't really stick with one particular kind all the time I suppose. Almost all my work is done in a Strathmore Sketchbook (recycled paper) and I normally rotate through either Col-erase pencils, Mitsubishi uniball  signo DX pens (from China, haven't found them here in the States), or any pencil 2B or softer. To be honest my FAVORITE tool is a super soft charcoal pencil, usually General's 6B or 8B. Those lines just seem to pop right out of the stick without me even having to try! But the downside is that it's an absolute MESS because I tend to dig into the paper with reckless abandon and it leaves my hands and paper totally smudged. So I use them, but not as often as I might if that didn't happen.

I'd like to get better at drawing on the Cintiq, but my lines just don't have much flow to them. You're right, though, Toon Boom does do a nice job. I've heard good things about the software "Pencil" as well.

I haven't really experimented with types of paper. Maybe I'll give that a shot next! Thanks for the idea.

---

#19 09-25-2012 6:22 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

This is likely as far as I'll take this, because of the other projects I've got on my plate, but it was fun progressing it this far. I feel like I learned a lot, and also that I have so, so far to go. I'm excited about the journey, though!

Direct Link

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I appreciate it. I hope to rejoin the competition in earnest in one of the next few months. smile

Last edited by JKR (09-25-2012 6:23 pm)

---

#20 09-26-2012 4:25 am

bhavesh_suthar
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 56

I think proportions and perspective are totally off in this video.
I felt that Character is standing in long distance...and how can character grab those front rods ?
just have a look, you can feel that too...

Happy animating !!!

Bhav

Bhavesh Suthar
Animation Project Leader
www.linkedin.com/in/3dcharanimbhavesh

#21 09-26-2012 2:40 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Interesting. Do you have a suggestion on how to fix it? I admit, perspective is one of those areas I need to work on. smile

Perhaps a bit more of a lean into the bars would help, do you think?

---

#22 09-26-2012 2:58 pm

ccutler
Productive!

Maybe if you tighten up the shot on the character a bit, that'd help.  I'm assuming it's supposed to be a cage in the middle of like a stack of cages, but the front edge of the floor of her cage sort of looks like another horizontal bar, which I think is what's leading to the illusion of wonky perspective.

#23 09-26-2012 4:46 pm

Monkey G

Looking through this whole thread and I am really liking it! It's a shame you couldn't go through with it due to other projects but anyway hope to see something along these lines again soon in future competitions! big_smile

#24 09-26-2012 8:02 pm

eddie j
Participator
Karmojo: 6

I agree with ccutler its the illusion of the cage. It seems like the cage is bigger.... the girl cat has to walk alittle farther up to grab the rode... with that happening I wouldn't post it on the forums.

#25 09-26-2012 9:11 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Oh I think I see what you're saying! Yes, that is the edge of the cage, not another bar. Gotcha. If I end up taking it farther (no time, but if) I'll try to fix that up. smile

Thanks!

---

Board footer