#1 09-04-2012 1:39 pm

Dominicc

Animators take a look

Edit: For the Moderators_please move the Thread to the appropriate Forum_thank you!

Hello Guys,

After some Entries this year in the competition, I made an animation wich shows my current level. I really need to advance! This forum is the only one in the world wich will make that possible when it comes to animation it self.
If you don't mind critique mainly the animation and do it strict, honest and if you like in detail!
I'll appreciate every reply!

Thanks in Advance!

Direct Link

Last edited by Dominicc (09-04-2012 1:42 pm)

#2 09-04-2012 6:15 pm

Martial_Armand_Fontan

Re: Animators take a look

Hard to help in few words, but did you read (for example) "the animator survival kit" of Richard Williams twice ?

#3 09-04-2012 7:24 pm

Monkey G

I recommend going back to the basics and make sure you nail them before moving on to do any other animations!

#4 09-04-2012 10:48 pm

GFanimation
Participator
Karmojo: 7

I'm not really even sure what to say, the animation is very poor and looks very rushed.  For someone starting out, this is way too big of a project to undertake.  For a time comparison, my 2 minute college thesis took a year and a half to create and that's after years of practice and proper education.

As others have said, you need to practice the basics.  Read the The Animators Survival Kit until every page is burned into your memory.  Practice your basic animation exercises like the ones listed here: http://www.11secondclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4773  Then in a year or two taking on a 2 minute short might be possible.

Reel: http://www.gfanimation.com

13th Principal of Animation:  SHOOT VIDEO REFERENCE!

#5 09-05-2012 6:23 am

revolvermd
Tipster
Karmojo: 25

The animation is very poor.  I give you credit for trying but like GFanimation has said you lack a lot of fundamentals.  The choice of dialogue for this animation is very poor as well.  If you are going to post something like this on a public site such as this, you should at least give fair warning of the R rated comments made in the dialogue.  I'm sure most of the users here are adults but their children or even any random child could come across this and watch it.  If you want to be a professional then you should act like one.  I know this sounds harsh but you need to be more careful of what you do.

#6 09-05-2012 6:54 am

pollywoggles

It feels like the cinematography could be cleaner.  Some of the shots, as well as angle choices, don't make sense, and I saw at least once when the 180 degree rule was broken (for no good reason).

Paul

#7 09-05-2012 8:45 am

Droo

Everyone's saying pretty much the same thing, but yeah. Work on the basics first.

Check out my animations at Deadpan-Entertainment.com
Or read some geeky nonsense at Revo-Emag.com!

#8 09-05-2012 8:51 am

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Droo wrote:

Everyone's saying pretty much the same thing, but yeah. Work on the basics first.

Then I'll say something different, like, yea, I moved it big_smile

#9 09-05-2012 9:37 am

Zino.G

and i'll add something, don't be discouraged, work from the ground up ,no castle is build in a day, you need tools, blueprint, hard word, and to master it u need artistic ability and experience.

#10 09-05-2012 4:43 pm

Dominicc

It's how I predicted. Only this Forum can wash my head to improve my work.
It was kind of naive to think I could make it without the basics.

Thank you guys for each reply.
I really appreciated it very much! Especially the link from GFanimation!

To prevent myself from loosing time, I started with the Basic training instead of thinking that I don't need that.

Direct Link

#11 09-05-2012 4:54 pm

GFanimation
Participator
Karmojo: 7

It's all good man, just use that same motivation and perseverance on the basic exercises and you'll make some huge progress.  I highly suggest you look into Jason Ryan's animation tutorials, it covers just about everything you need to know and focuses highly on planning and thumbnailing.

It's about halfway down the page, the "basic tutorial set"  http://www.jasonryananimation.com/store.html

Last edited by GFanimation (09-05-2012 4:55 pm)

Reel: http://www.gfanimation.com

13th Principal of Animation:  SHOOT VIDEO REFERENCE!

Board footer