#1 08-27-2012 9:43 pm

Aloke316
Participator
Karmojo: 10

Wrestler motivating a kid!!!

this is my Blocking for this month's competition. pls tell me about whether u can understand the Story, is the acting matching the Dialouge........and please SUBSCRIBE to this thread so that you can have look at the updates i post as i need critiques for the improvement of the shot!!

Direct Link

#2 08-28-2012 2:21 am

pollywoggles

Re: Wrestler motivating a kid!!!

I like it. 

In the blocking, the wrestler pretty much remains at the same level as the kid.  While I think that works, I think it might work even better if you saved that for a key dramatic moment.  He could stay above him, indicating his power and authority, then, during a key moment in your performance, he could change levels to really connect to the kid.

Another idea, is to start off at the kid's level, then changes levels as we see him talking about his power. 

I am also thinking that if you moved away from the 90 degree profile camera (and are you using a default camera lens?), you can really get a more dramatic feel to your composition.   The kid, with his large head and wheel chair, sort of has a bigger silhouette than the wrestler.

Paul

#3 08-28-2012 4:26 am

GFanimation
Participator
Karmojo: 7

What Pollywoggles said, the camera needs to be adjusted.  The first shot is fine as an establishing shot but the second should really be an over the shoulder shot looking at the wrestler so we can see the front of his face.  Use a 50mm lens for the close up (50 fov in maya) and it will be really close and really emotional!  A good saying I learned is camera distance equals emotional distance.  You want us to really feel moved by the acting, get that camera up in their faces!

My camera's are very similar to yours but with the 2nd shot as the over the shoulder, have a look at what a difference the second shot makes: http://www.11secondclub.com/forum/viewt … p?id=19553  Feel free to steal the camera framing smile

Reel: http://www.gfanimation.com

13th Principal of Animation:  SHOOT VIDEO REFERENCE!

#4 08-28-2012 6:16 am

Aloke316
Participator

pollywoggles wrote:

I like it. 

In the blocking, the wrestler pretty much remains at the same level as the kid.  While I think that works, I think it might work even better if you saved that for a key dramatic moment.  He could stay above him, indicating his power and authority, then, during a key moment in your performance, he could change levels to really connect to the kid.

Another idea, is to start off at the kid's level, then changes levels as we see him talking about his power. 

I am also thinking that if you moved away from the 90 degree profile camera (and are you using a default camera lens?), you can really get a more dramatic feel to your composition.   The kid, with his large head and wheel chair, sort of has a bigger silhouette than the wrestler.

thanks very much Pollywoggles for the critique especially about the Character Levels....i had no idea about that...!! and also about the camera...i ll try to bring a better composition in my nxt update!!

#5 08-28-2012 6:23 am

Aloke316
Participator

GFanimation wrote:

What Pollywoggles said, the camera needs to be adjusted.  The first shot is fine as an establishing shot but the second should really be an over the shoulder shot looking at the wrestler so we can see the front of his face.  Use a 50mm lens for the close up (50 fov in maya) and it will be really close and really emotional!  A good saying I learned is camera distance equals emotional distance.  You want us to really feel moved by the acting, get that camera up in their faces!

My camera's are very similar to yours but with the 2nd shot as the over the shoulder, have a look at what a difference the second shot makes: http://www.11secondclub.com/forum/viewt … p?id=19553  Feel free to steal the camera framing smile

thanks very much GFanimation for the critique....yaa i too think i need to have a nice close-up shot for the second shot......and thanks for showing me the reference for the camera.....however i had thought of that over the shoulder closeup camera before but i also need to show the Exit (where the character is pointing)  actually i m thinking of showing a Wrestling Arena there!! i ll try to come up with a better compostion in my next update!!

#6 08-28-2012 7:46 am

pollywoggles

Well, if you are going to show a Wrestling Arena, then you probably don't need the character pointing at it.  I think it would already be obvious given the context.  But on another level, I like what GFAnimation said.   In particular, I, personally, want to engage more with the characters performance, but I'm just given a side angle and then the back of their heads.   

But if you want to keep that composition, you might try cheating the camera, and block the characters so they are more at a three-quarter angle.   And, at the end, have the wrestler do a sweeping gesture around him, indicated they are in the arena.

Paul

#7 08-28-2012 8:21 am

GFanimation
Participator

There's lot of ways to achieve what you want, you can do a cut on the action, so when he gestures from the over the shoulder shot, you can cut to his pov of the exit.. or back to the first shot or an over  the shoulder of both characters in frame, blurry so you focus on the exit between their heads.  Play around with some cameras, you won't even need to change your animation to test out different shots.

Honestly though, looking at the exit may is not needed, what matters in this monologue is the characters emotion and feeling towards the "stage."  If this were an actual scene in a movie the context of what he's talking about would already be addressed, earlier in the movie, there's no reason to force it into this 11 second monologue, there's no room!

#8 08-28-2012 8:47 am

Aloke316
Participator

Thanx a lot guys.....your points are very helpful.....i m making some changes now...will post some updates soon!!!

#9 08-28-2012 10:54 am

Aloke316
Participator

so i tried out some cameras  tell me which 1 i should keep!!

Direct Link

it ll look good with some expressions!!

Direct Link

i myself liked the second one with 3 cutshots!!

#10 08-28-2012 11:13 am

pollywoggles

I prefer the second one as well.

Paul

#11 08-28-2012 3:51 pm

Aloke316
Participator

pollywoggles wrote:

I prefer the second one as well.

thanks man!! smile

#12 08-28-2012 4:52 pm

GFanimation
Participator

Yep, second one is working very well.

#13 08-28-2012 4:57 pm

Aloke316
Participator

@GFanimation thanks bro!! Working on it now!! will post a major update after some time!!

#14 08-28-2012 6:42 pm

GFanimation
Participator

Something that will make your playblasts look a little more professional is to make sure you don't have the overscan area visable.  Select the camera and in the attribute editor set the "fit resolution gate" to fill.  Then in the "display options" tab, turn off the film, resolution and gate masks.  You can also press CTRL + SPACE to go into "expert mode and hide the UI to make sure the full 720p area is viable.  Then press the ctrl space to get it back.

#15 08-29-2012 5:36 am

Aloke316
Participator

ok thanks for the info!!

#16 08-29-2012 11:33 am

heymikey
Rockstar
Karmojo: 80
Productive!

nice idea...the second camera is better, but in my opinion at the end when they turn to look "at the stage" you end up seeing the back of their heads, which doesn't end the shot very nicely from a composition standpoint...it would be a lot stronger if they turned toward the camera so we could see both the wrestler's nostalgic expression and the boy with a look of awe and wonderment on his face. This will also help the "stage" seem less like the actual physical wrestling ring and more like a metaphorical "place in the spotlight." Just some suggestions, but hopefully that helps!
good luck and have fun!
cheers
-mike

#17 08-29-2012 1:33 pm

Skyefish

second one is the best. also agree that him turning his back on the audience kind of severs the nice connection you built with the audience. rather make him look up in the end with a victory fist in the air or something. nice work! :-P

i will sleep when i'm dead :-P

#18 08-29-2012 3:13 pm

Aloke316
Participator

heymikey wrote:

nice idea...the second camera is better, but in my opinion at the end when they turn to look "at the stage" you end up seeing the back of their heads, which doesn't end the shot very nicely from a composition standpoint...it would be a lot stronger if they turned toward the camera so we could see both the wrestler's nostalgic expression and the boy with a look of awe and wonderment on his face. This will also help the "stage" seem less like the actual physical wrestling ring and more like a metaphorical "place in the spotlight." Just some suggestions, but hopefully that helps!
good luck and have fun!
cheers
-mike

wow!!... i tried it and its looking gr8 and effective...this is starting to become a huge learning process for me...thanks very much!!

#19 08-29-2012 3:14 pm

Aloke316
Participator

Skyefish wrote:

second one is the best. also agree that him turning his back on the audience kind of severs the nice connection you built with the audience. rather make him look up in the end with a victory fist in the air or something. nice work! :-P

thanks man!! i m doing what HEYMIKEY  suggested!!

#20 08-31-2012 9:31 pm

Aloke316
Participator

just finished body animation need some UREGENT feedback!!

Direct Link

#21 09-01-2012 2:42 am

eddie j
Participator
Karmojo: 6

don't cut the audio so close to the end. leave some room.
you might need to figure out how your mouth shape will look like at the end
of the lip-sync

Last edited by eddie j (09-01-2012 2:45 am)

Board footer