#1 08-24-2012 6:22 pm

StefanLipsius
Celebrity
Karmojo: 63

[Series] Beginner Exercises

Hey all,

I frequently see new animators asking on forums around the net what they should do to get started with animation. Or, if they don't ask, they usually jump into something too complicated for a true beginner, such as a walk cycle. Because this is a common thing, I decided to redo all the beginner exercises that I think are a great way to begin, and post them here in hopes that new animators will find it useful, and even better, follow along with me! Just a note, this is to give you the basic idea of what the exercise is and should look like. I am doing these with speed being a focus, so they may not be perfect.

Here is a list of the exercises I will be doing. I will edit this post and add the videos as I go. I strongly suggest that you do them in order and don't move on until the one you are working on is good. Here's a tip: Don't be afraid to start over or redo an exercise. If you put in the effort, each fresh start you will notice it gets easier and your animation gets better. Sometimes its better (and faster) to redo it than try and fix all the problems.  And don't feel that you need to speed through it. Take your time and really understand it. Speed comes with time.

Lets begin.

1: Looping Ball bounce: First and Last frame are at the top of the screen. My time : ~5 minutes

Direct Link

2: Bounce in place with a settle to a stop: First frame is at the top, last frame is on the ground.

Direct Link

3: Bounce across the screen with the same height each bounce.

Direct Link

4: Bounce across the screen, each bounce shorter than the last, eventually coming to a stop

Direct Link

5: A pendulum swinging, eventually coming to a stop.

Direct Link

6: A pendulum hits the ball, causing the ball to hit a wall, bounce a few times and come to a settle, all the while, the pendulum comes to a stop as well.

7: Rubber Pencil: Overlap and Follow through exercise.

Direct Link

(did 7 at work because I left my file for 5 at home)

Last edited by StefanLipsius (08-27-2012 11:57 pm)

#2 08-25-2012 1:32 am

Droo

Re: [Series] Beginner Exercises

I think this is a great idea, and I hope more beginner animators take these exercises seriously.

Check out my animations at Deadpan-Entertainment.com
Or read some geeky nonsense at Revo-Emag.com!

#3 08-25-2012 5:13 am

ricekrispyninja
Ninja Superstar!!
Karmojo: 90

(stands up) "I second the motion!"
big_smile

"animate, Animate, ANIMATE"

#4 08-25-2012 10:55 am

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Great idea! Good to have these exercises in a correct order, maybe I should make this topic sticky? Not sure, what would you say?

But i think you could improve the ball quite a bit, it's wobbling at the zenith for no apparent reason and the stretch going down is far to strong for the short amount of acceleration you're putting it through.
Sorry for being picky big_smile

#5 08-25-2012 3:41 pm

StefanLipsius
Celebrity

Updated the ball, Wolfor. I left the wobble in. It was in there on purpose. Kind of an aftershock of hitting the ground. It squashed all that way, then it just returns to normal with no after shock? Boring! I know most people stretch it on the up as well, but I felt like doing something different. Creative differences, I suppose smile But I adjusted the height and the stretch on the down. Thanks for the tip. I'm not surprised it wasn't perfect. I did it in 5 minutes. hehe

Ive added the bounce with a settle. I need to work on this more. Only spent 20 minutes so far. Some timing issues and what not. And I gotta fix the squash and stretch.

#6 08-25-2012 5:41 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

Wobble wobble big_smile Sure, nothing wrong there, just my opinion smile Here is my fresh eyes on the settle thing: at the 3rd and 4th bounce, the ball feels a very little too fast, and I guess the stretch wouldn't be as strong as it is from the 4th bounce onward. But again, I am just being unbelievably picky big_smile

#7 08-25-2012 6:29 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

If the ball is going to jiggle again while in the air, that means it's extremely flexible. As such when it contacts the ground it wouldn't just squash , but DEFORM. You might consider adding that. The weight would be more at the bottom than the top of the ball when it's in that frame.

Anyway, good idea to redo some early exercises! One day I'd like to do the same, but for now there's other work that must be done.

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#8 08-25-2012 7:49 pm

StefanLipsius
Celebrity

It's not so much for me that Im redoing these, JKR. Though, I forgot how tricky some of the timing stuff is on ball bounces. haha. I just thought that since people always tell new animators to start with the ball bounce, but never really show them what they should be doing, this would be a good way of doing that. Exercise by exercise, do these and you`ll learn the basics of animating.

Also, Wolfor, making this a sticky would probably be a good idea since there are constantly new animators coming to these forums.

Updated the bounce with the settle.

#9 08-25-2012 8:08 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

StefanLipsius wrote:

Also, Wolfor, making this a sticky would probably be a good idea since there are constantly new animators coming to these forums.

Done. Now it's your responsibility to make it shine big_smile

#10 08-25-2012 8:13 pm

StefanLipsius
Celebrity

Can do, Wolfor.

Third exercise added.

#11 08-25-2012 8:31 pm

StefanLipsius
Celebrity

4th added

#12 08-25-2012 10:46 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

I kinda feel like doing this, cuz I've got nothing better to do for another week.

#13 08-26-2012 10:41 am

wolfor
Rockstar

StefanLipsius wrote:

4th added

I guess you will start to hate me by now, but the rotation of the ball is not matching the forward movement at all.
I found that if you make the curve of the forward movement and the curve of the rotation look alike, it usually works quite well smile (I know they are different sized, but you get what I mean?)

#14 08-26-2012 4:48 pm

StefanLipsius
Celebrity

I don't hate you. Lol. Though I hate vague Crits. smile what doesn't match about it? Too slow? Too fast? When it stops bouncing, the ball rolls perfe tly it seems without any sliding. But be more specific and I'll see what I can do when I work on it more tomorrow

#15 08-26-2012 5:48 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Yeah, I totally see it too. For how far it's traveling at the end it is rolling like 45 degrees too much. I can send you a script that will make it roll perfectly.

Last edited by Camaro (08-26-2012 5:49 pm)

#16 08-26-2012 6:14 pm

StefanLipsius
Celebrity

Ah so too much? Ok! I'll fix it when I get back to my computer. Thanks! And ya. Send me the script next time u see me on Skype smile

#17 08-26-2012 6:52 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

sorry guys, am i the only one who sees the irony?

#18 08-26-2012 7:38 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

thelittlepenguin84 wrote:

sorry guys, am i the only one who sees the irony?

Depends on what the irony is?

#19 08-26-2012 9:38 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

StefanLipsius wrote:

...Though I hate vague Crits. smile what doesn't match about it? Too slow? Too fast? ...

Oh, sorry, I always assume everybody sees what I see big_smile I'm also always wondering that when I am greeting the aliens why everybody is staring at me?
Uhm, well, but, yea just like Camaro said, and, provided you're using the baller rig from iAnimate, and your not into using a script, you could just apply this expression:

Code:

ball_control.rotateX=ball_control.translateZ*28.66

(this just ensures the ball rotates 360° in X every 12.56 units (the balls circumference) it travels forward in Z)
Pure maths smile

And I love ivory! Where is it? tongue

#20 08-26-2012 10:49 pm

StefanLipsius
Celebrity

Thanks wolfor.

Ya I'm wondering about the irony? I'm lost haha

Last edited by StefanLipsius (08-27-2012 12:40 am)

#21 08-27-2012 12:34 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen

It'd be better to discuss it if you ever got on Skype, brah.

#22 08-27-2012 12:53 am

Droo

That irony comment is left hanging like the fate of a major character on the final episode of a TV show. So just like a TV show, I'm going to speculate until the next season's premiere comes around.

I think irony could mean:

1) What Stefan suggested, that he is trying to help beginners while still getting feedback on his exercises.
2) That this is a thread meant for beginners, yet the only people active on this thread have been around since the beginning of time.
3) The ugly snow giants are actually descendants of the proud sun elves, having reverted to a more primal and colder nature after the prince had his heart broken by Heather Locklear, blonde goddess of the Sun.

Last edited by Droo (08-27-2012 1:06 am)

Check out my animations at Deadpan-Entertainment.com
Or read some geeky nonsense at Revo-Emag.com!

#23 08-27-2012 12:57 am

StefanLipsius
Celebrity

Gotta be number 3 smile good call droo

Penguin, chime back in! You're leavin us hanging

Last edited by StefanLipsius (08-27-2012 2:58 am)

#24 08-27-2012 7:58 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

I'm not intending to be mean (I admire your intentions), but its number one. You have chosen to sticky this item to advise beginners what they should do to get started with animation. Also, that this is an exercise 'a true beginner should do'. Yet, despite 'being around since the age of time' and producing more advanced work that I admire, you are showing how humbling the bouncing ball can actually be.

In short, your bouncing balls are not great, plus to encourage stefan to use a scrip while beginners are to animate by eye, its pretty ironic

Last edited by thelittlepenguin84 (08-27-2012 8:17 am)

#25 08-27-2012 10:40 am

wolfor
Rockstar

Hey!
I think it can be quite encouraging for beginners when they see seasoned animators struggling with these basic exercises as well. smile

And, as for the rolling part, beginners, READ THIS:
While working in studios for a number of years now, I only very seldom saw any animator utilizing a script (or even just an expression) to harness the rotation of such a ball to the forward movement. The reason for that is that as soon as you apply this script/expression (usually does pretty much the same) the rotation is bound to the forward motion, even if you don't want it to later on in the shot, or it need to roll sideways, etc...

Here is what I strongly recommend you do when animating this:
1) Find the amount of way it travels on the ground (use the measure tool or something similar)
2) Find the circumference of the ball, its just simple maths: take the diameter of the ball (use the measure tool or something similar, again) and multiply it with Pi (that's roughly 3.14)
3) Divide the way it travels by the balls circumference and multiply this with 360, and you have the amount the ball is rotating forward when traveling over the ground.
4) now comes the magic, if you make the forward movement and the rotation curve look similar, the balls rotation and the movement are bound to sync. Of course, these two curves are usually by a factor of something around 10 - 100 differently sized, but I'm just talking about the shape of the curve.
Here is an example:
Look at my entry on one of the mini challenges here:
http://www.11secondclub.com/forum/viewt … 20#p106120
and here is a comparison of the translation to the rotation graphs of the ball:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10299684/bounce_vs_roll.jpg
Does that make my point clear? I hope it does. Have fun animating!

Board footer