#1 08-14-2012 7:49 am

pollywoggles

Aug WIP

Here is my blocking idea for the Aug comp, any suggestions are appreciated.

Setup:  a space construction worker on a lunch break (the layout is done, I'll just add a background of stars for the final).

Thanks.

Paul

Direct Link

Last edited by pollywoggles (08-14-2012 8:23 am)

Paul

#2 08-14-2012 8:00 am

Absorbentghost

Re: Aug WIP

where is the video?

#3 08-14-2012 8:02 am

pollywoggles

Sorry.  Forgot to add sound in the first upload, re-playblasted / re-uploaded.

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited by pollywoggles (08-14-2012 8:25 am)

Paul

#4 08-14-2012 9:16 pm

TheAdamSwanson

Some super great poses in here. smile I'd like to see him turn and look back at the little guy just once during the conversation. Maybe even just a half-turn back in his direction. To maintain that he is talking with him, even if not directly at or to him.
But I really like it, cant wait to see more!

#5 08-14-2012 9:18 pm

pollywoggles

Thank you!  That is a great suggestion.

Paul

#6 08-29-2012 7:20 pm

Skyefish

hey its looking rad! id make him actually indicate toward the round dude in the begining instead of already being in that pose when the clip starts. also i don't think he has to literally point at the stars. iust looking up could suffice. the last thing is to move the last gesture to the word 'stage' to get a better rhythm for the end. its gonna be awesome either way!! cant wait to see :-P

i will sleep when i'm dead :-P

#7 08-30-2012 2:09 am

pollywoggles

Thanks, those suggestions are very helpful!  I'm updating with those notes in mind.

Paul

#8 08-30-2012 5:26 am

Aloke316
Participator
Karmojo: 10

excellent poses!! waiting fot the next post of yours!!

#9 08-30-2012 1:44 pm

pollywoggles

Thanks for your help.

Here is an update, pushed to spline, adding the notes everyone gave me in this thread.

I still need to work on the

1. face, and
2. that little create he is holding (basically going to be a bouncing ball). 

(I am using the hobo rig for the little creature.)

Direct Link

Paul

#10 08-30-2012 2:01 pm

GFanimation
Participator
Karmojo: 7

The camera framing feels weird.  There's no need for all the empty space on the right side of the frame.  Cut on the action of him sitting.  You can still use the wide shot to establish where he's at but cut to a 3/4 shot from his knees or torso up.  This is an emotional piece of dialogue, we need to be up in his face feeling this emotions with him.  One of the best pieces of advice I've ever received in terms where the camera should be is:  camera distance equals emotional distance.

Reel: http://www.gfanimation.com

13th Principal of Animation:  SHOOT VIDEO REFERENCE!

#11 08-30-2012 8:12 pm

pollywoggles

Thanks GFanimation, excellent advise as usual.  Very good advice.

When I listened to the dialog, especially the way he chews through those words ("own" and "dream" sound like growls), he felt like the actor on a stage giving a dramatic performance.   So, I framed up a long shot to convey the feeling of "audience member in theater," and allow for a few full-body flourishes.

But now, I've gotten so used to the staging, I've lost objectivity.  So, given my context, if you (or anyone else) feels like the camera still isn't working, let me know.

Thanks again.

Paul

#12 08-31-2012 3:03 am

GFanimation
Participator
Karmojo: 7

If you want to make what you have work better you can pan the camera screen left so the character's more in the middle of the stage.  This will make it feel like he has room to breathe and move around. 

Honestly though, it really doesn't do the scene and your character's acting justice.  The basic observation when you start looking through movies is, emotional monologue means the camera is going to be very close.  Why?  because it's allows the audience to have a stronger connection to the character, more connection, more emotional, more believable, etc etc.  Even if the character is moving around a lot the camera will still be close like in this example:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g4DgQayaOw&feature=player_detailpage#t=33s You can have the camera setup like you have it but you're throwing almost 100 years of collective film knowledge out the window... or rather off the skyscraper smile

Reel: http://www.gfanimation.com

13th Principal of Animation:  SHOOT VIDEO REFERENCE!

#13 08-31-2012 4:09 am

StoobyToons

I think what you have here is nice as far as the animation goes. The poses are clean and held nicely. The only problem for me is the acting choices. I don't quite get the context yet of what is happening nor do I really feel the intimacy of the dialogue coming through the choices you have here. The staging is off for me and I really feel like you should probably tighten up on the character, perhaps even leaving the little one in his hands. Hope that helps!

#14 09-01-2012 12:55 am

pollywoggles

Thanks GFanimation and StoobyToons, I used both of your suggestions for my final update.  I appreciate your help!

Paul

Board footer