#1 03-22-2012 2:48 am

Henri98

MC 28 WIP

This is the place I'll be posting my progress on the current MC (28).

The idea: Well the "theme" is hammers and I decided to play on that with an animation involving croquet and those dinky little hammers. I'm still tossing ideas around but I think I want the character to be over zealous in getting his ball through arc (not sure what they're called) and he's either 1) going to miss and pound the ground several times or 2) swing too enthusiastically and hit the person(s) next to him.

What do you think?

Here's the beginning stages of this little short with two attempts at different styled swings:

Direct Link

#2 03-22-2012 3:02 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

Re: MC 28 WIP

Looks good so far! Nice sense of weight. I think you could use a little more cushioning around the frame where he's swung it back over his shoulder, just to really register the weight of it. It will take time for him to change its direction. smile

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#3 03-22-2012 11:17 pm

Henri98

Ok I've decided on scenario two (swing two). So far this is how far I've gotten it. JKR I took your suggestion and added more cushioning on both the back swing and end of the forward swing and I think it looks much better. Should I exaggerate it more?

Direct Link

#4 03-22-2012 11:35 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

You have a really nice opportunity to push the timing and arc of the second swing. Add a bit of dip to the hammer, to then push up like a golf swing and really knock that guy off his feet. Love the flip of his body.
I'm confused why his back chooses to arc afterwards?  It unneccessarily breaks character. I do like how you have just posed your victim. Reminds me of the torment Daffy gave to poor Porky and Elmer Fudd
Also, why work so small?

#5 03-23-2012 12:19 am

Henri98

thelittlepenguin84 wrote:

You have a really nice opportunity to push the timing and arc of the second swing. Add a bit of dip to the hammer, to then push up like a golf swing and really knock that guy off his feet. Love the flip of his body.
I'm confused why his back chooses to arc afterwards?  It unneccessarily breaks character. I do like how you have just posed your victim. Reminds me of the torment Daffy gave to poor Porky and Elmer Fudd
Also, why work so small?

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll be sure to play with the swing a bit more and see what I can do. When you say "push the timing" what do you mean? Could you give any examples (sorry I'm fairly new to animation and learning this on my own). The back arcing backward is actually him doing a double take when he notices he missed the ball (the story being that they're playing croquet and he's just a little too enthusiastic about hitting his ball). So it's not so much him arcing but looking down at the ball... I don't know...was going for a exaggerated, cartoonish double take.

As for drawing small...that's just how I've come to draw. I took an art class in college and my teacher was always on me about drawing too small and too light. I'll try to make it bigger and clearer for later versions.

Like I said, I'll continue working on it and trying different approaches and see what I can come up with.

Last edited by Henri98 (03-23-2012 12:21 am)

#6 03-24-2012 10:39 pm

Henri98

Version 2:

Direct Link

So I changed the trajectory of the hammer's forward swing and messed with the timing and spacing as well. Still not quite happy but I'll keep messing with it.

Also added more movement to the bystander but upon review I probably need a little more time for the action to start and stop before the hammer hits him.

Any other suggestions?

#7 03-24-2012 11:43 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

your have the opportunity to really knock the guy off his feet. Try increasing the height he lifts off the grab.

You also may wish to include in one of those goal posts that you hit the ball into (sorry I don't know what they are called). you also may wish to change the starting pose.

#8 03-25-2012 7:27 am

bb90

haha. this is really nice, man. Keep it up.

Board footer