#1 12-29-2011 5:40 am

MattJ
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 39

MattJ's Animation Drop

Hi all,

I plan on using this thread for all of my animation practices.

It has been quite some time since I did anything animation related and just wanted to get my feet wet again.  Would love any feedback anyone can give.

First up is a body mechanics shot.

Direct Link

Thanks!

Matt -

Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere - Ratatouille
Animation Drop
Animation Exercises

#2 12-29-2011 8:14 am

AnthonyOceguera

Re: MattJ's Animation Drop

well, I cant say to much about this shot yet, since is still in blocking, but one thing I immediately notice is that when the character steps off the table he is still leaning back, and it looks rather strange, kind of like he's off balance. To fix that, after he has placed all his weight on the ground you should make him lean forward so it looks like he is balancing him self out since his weight has shifted. After that then he can lean back again as he walks forward. I look forward to seeing how this works out! Happy animating!

Hope this helps!

#3 12-31-2011 8:23 am

RiPPeR7666
Celebrity
Karmojo: 64

ups and downs through out overall shot and anticipation on the step off. and yes always watch your center of gravity. keep workin on it and keep posting updates

check out my animation here:
http://josh-samuels.blogspot.com/

#4 12-31-2011 11:19 am

Ohjin
Helper
Karmojo: 11

Yeah at the moment it looks like he has a fixed back. This is the most important stage of the workflow. So you need to think about the weight and positioning of your character. Do the action yourself, and really get a feel for what forces are are happening in and outside of your body.
Also a frame counter would help for crits.

Last edited by Ohjin (12-31-2011 11:21 am)

#5 12-31-2011 12:38 pm

maah
Rockstar
Karmojo: 78

I would like to see more weight on the right leg (on the screen), since it stays on the platform and therefore will take all the weight. I believe you should twist the hips counterclockwise and push down the left leg when he steps off to make it feel more natural. Some action on the arms when he steps off can also help to show weight and balance.
Keep up the good work!smile

#6 12-31-2011 12:40 pm

zombryn
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 46

Great job so far! I'm going to back up what everyone else is saying about the back. It's the first thing I noticed and I think you could get some really nice reversals of the spine in there. Especially take notice of what RiPPeR7666 said smile

Last edited by zombryn (12-31-2011 12:40 pm)

blog: http://www.zombryn.co.uk
twitter: zombryn

#7 01-01-2012 3:01 pm

MattJ
Upstanding Citizen

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I can definitely see what you guys are saying with the weight and balance.
Will have an update later today.

For fun I am also doing some simple flipbook animations for fun - going to try and do as many as I can throughout the year!
1st one - basic walk cycel

Direct Link

Matt -

Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere - Ratatouille
Animation Drop
Animation Exercises

#8 01-01-2012 8:59 pm

MattJ
Upstanding Citizen

Update - fleshed it out a little more with some of the feedback - trying to get the weight/balance and shape reversals more in there.
EDIT: Added a frame counter - Also took the arms off to focus on hips and legs first.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Direct Link

Matt -

Last edited by MattJ (01-01-2012 9:06 pm)

Animation Drop
Animation Exercises

#9 01-02-2012 4:55 am

MattJ
Upstanding Citizen

Another flipbook for Jan 2nd - slightly early. tongue
This one is off Jason Ryans whip overlap example -
more for practice and understanding spacing and timing more than anything else.

Thanks for looking!

Direct Link

Matt -

Animation Drop
Animation Exercises

#10 01-02-2012 5:40 am

rajesh_11
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 30

Hey Matt,
your flip book test are great. Try to do your 3d shot in flip book first and get your poses there. If you feel right then jump in Maya. Hope this help. Cheers!

Exaggerate the action so that audience can understand it.-Walt Disney

Board footer