#26 03-16-2012 8:15 am

RiPPeR7666
Celebrity
Karmojo: 64

Re: The Official Unofficial Morpheus Thread! (ASK QUESTIONS HERE FIRST!)

ghross wrote:

Are there any general resources out there on how to put a costume on Morpheus?  I know Expressions was trying to put together a costume pack.  I see a lot of stuff on swapping textures but nothing so far on putting clothes on him/her.

Direct Link

this is a video made by Josh Burton and its very great what your looking for is 8min in so if you wanna skip to that then go for it but i recommended watching the whole thing just to better educate yourself with Morphy. its great cause you don't even have to have the same topology as the rig and i like it better then doing a wrap deformer. but yea over all i love this rig and its ability to change!

check out my animation here:
http://josh-samuels.blogspot.com/

#27 03-18-2012 5:06 am

ghross
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 33

Thanks!  Loving the rig so far.  The community should get together and make some pants for him/her though smile

----------------------------------------------------
http://grahamsbrainfunnel.blogspot.com/

#28 04-13-2012 10:00 pm

orangepanda

Hi Guys,

I have a bare foot character walking, and I would like to modify Morpheus to get rid off the bump on the bottom of his foot (the heel of a shoe?). I was able to select the mesh (where you can change texture on him), but I couldn't modify the mesh. Please help.

Thanks

Angela

#29 04-13-2012 10:21 pm

orangepanda

Can't save as *.ma when I ref. in morpheus.

Maya gives me an errors says "File contains unknown nodes or data. To perserve this information, the current file type cannot be changed."

How do I get around it? I would like to work in .ma instead of .mb, as common sense practice.

Thanks

Angela

#30 04-13-2012 10:35 pm

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Hi Angela!
to see what the unknown nodes are, you type in the script editor:
ls -type unknown;
this will output a list of unknown nodes. As soon as made sure that these are no nodes that you need, you can execute
delete `ls -type unknown`;
Or, if it's some mental ray stuff, activate mental ray in your plugin editor (called mayatomr)
About your question above, I think it would be best if you check out Josh's vimeo channel (check the link a few posts up)
Hope this helps!
Cheers

#31 05-13-2012 4:17 pm

coolbird22
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 50

Hi all,
Been having this problem for a long time. Morpheus in the High Quality Mode makes his skin black, and in the Viewport 2.0, makes his face pink and arms disappear.
Anyone know of a fix for this ??? Or what exactly is making this happen ?
D

#32 05-14-2012 1:02 pm

jjburton
Rockstar
Karmojo: 71

Coolbird, interesting issue. I've not used much of the advanced viewport stuff. Couple of points to explore:

1) maybe the high quality and advanced viewport modes doesn't support the skin shader type
2) Maybe try a different texture format? Maybe it's the png (99% sure that's what I used). Try a tiff or something and see if that changes anything.

If you find a solution. Please post it:)

#33 05-15-2012 8:47 am

coolbird22
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 50

Hey Josh,
Thanks for replying. I did try changing the texture formats and neither TGA nor TIFF seemed to work. I'm pretty sure it is the fast skin shader that is not supported by the high quality and viewport 2.0 modes.
A quick fix was assigning a new blinn shader and sourcing the skin texture to it and it seemed to work just alright in both the modes. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
D

#34 05-18-2012 1:56 pm

edsu

Hello,

I'm afraid this is a newbie question about animating with the Morpheus rig (V1) - sorry if this has already been explained elsewhere. 

I'm a bit confused about animating the torso (from hips to shoulders).  There are a lot of controls, with the lollipop ones, and the ring ones, and the spine root, and I'm not sure which one is meant to be used for what. I don't want to animate all of them without understanding it, and then when it comes to adjusting the animation not remember which control I have to fix.  Does anyone have a good work-flow for which controls to use and when? 

Thanks

#35 05-18-2012 2:21 pm

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Hi!
You're absolutely right in being a bit intimidated.

I don't use Morpheus that often, but this boils down to every advanced rig:
Given your character is standing or sitting, and thus having his body movement coming from the hips, you should animate the FK spine only.
Don't know which one that is on the morpheus rig, but being a FK dependency going from the hips to the shoulders, usually only rotatable, this shouldn't be too hard to figure out which one is which.
The IK controls (those that are translatable and are not dependent from the lower controls) should only be used to do some minute adjustments to the pose when you're already more or less done with posing.
The reason for this is that if you start animating IK and FK spine controls at the same time, you'll end up with a whole lot of mess.
The only thing that seems legit is to animate the IK hip control together with the FK controls if you animate a walk.

And if you have a reverse spine going on there as well, meaning a control dependency going from the shoulders to the hips, better leave that alone altogether if your character is not flying around, or standing on his hands of lying in a bed or something big_smile

Edit: If anyone feels this is a lot of garbage I'm talking about here, please feel free to correct me big_smile

Last edited by wolfor (05-18-2012 2:22 pm)

#36 05-20-2012 6:27 pm

edsu

That's brilliant, thanks very much wolfor. 
I have the same question about the shoulders - there are three controls for each shoulder - one is rotation XYZ only, one is translate only, and the other is rotate x only (for untwisting the skin I think).  Is it the same principle that you mentioned for the torso, that you should mainly use the rotation XYZ one, and just use the translate one for refining the pose?
Thanks

#37 05-21-2012 1:15 am

Chris.Daley
Participator
Karmojo: 6

Hi everyone,

I'm having a skinning problem with the "Ryan" ECMWP costume.  When I attach the pants to one of the controls (I chose the hips control), then move one of the legs, the pants stretch incorrectly by the knees, and sometimes by the upper thighs.

Has anyone found a workflow for getting the costumes working correctly?  The costumes (http://ecmwp.blogspot.com/) look awesome, and I'd love to get this one to work.

Thanks,
Chris

#38 05-30-2012 9:54 pm

jalbri

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to attach the morphy facial rig to the body rig. I tried running the head connect script on the shelf, but I must have done something wrong. Do I have to delete the old morphy head? I think I need a step by step instruction.

Thanks!

#39 06-04-2012 1:52 pm

jjburton
Rockstar

Jalbri, the head connector assumes no head is there. Are you trying to connect a second head? If so you should be able to look through the connect script to see what it's doing and connect another. Can you provide some more info?

Chris, I've not had a chance to check out the pack yet. Are you saying it's a skinning stretching that's happening or the customization blends aren't doing what they should? If it's skinning, you may need to fix a few verts. I've yet to see a perfect workflow for transferring weights between different assets that didn't need a little love:)

#40 06-05-2012 3:45 pm

jalbri

Hey Josh,

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I wasn't clear. I would like to place a customized morphy head onto a morphy body. I opened the morphy rig file (with head and body), and deleted the facial rig in the outliner. I then imported my customized morphy facial rig and pressed the head connect shelf button and got this error: // Error: No object matches name: headPlace_locMe.
I read the script and it says that it needs some setup stuff in the rig file. I guess I'm wondering what setup stuff I need to do. I'm sure the solution is something simple and for some reason, I am just missing it. Thanks for taking the time to answer and for the fantastic rig :-)

#41 06-05-2012 11:34 pm

JeffR

How do I get the right-click functionality? 
(IK/FK matching etc)

The rig is beautiful by the way, I'm sure I'm just missing a script or something here.

#42 06-06-2012 2:33 am

jjburton
Rockstar

Jalbri, if it's just settings. You can just transfer you settings to the rig with the head on it. It sounds like perhaps the real head connecting method might be a bit of work for you. I'd be happy to dig up the original headless body rig if you wanted it but you'd still have to do a little work. Honestly, if there's anyway you can just get your customization to the regular rig, that would probably be easiest. If you think I need more info, by all means drop me an email.

JeffR, Thanks first off:) Hmm, they should just work. You sure you're selecting the right objects? That's a pretty typical mistake. The fk/ik switchers are on the two headed arrow lookin thingies and the space switching is on the various controls. You do need to be right clicking pretty much in the middle of the control, that can trip things up sometimes as well. Also make sure you only have nurbs curve selection flags on (yet another helpful item:)

-j

#43 06-06-2012 5:40 am

JeffR

Hey Josh, thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Yep, I'm right-clicking on the two-headed arrow curve by the wrists.  The FK/IK switching itself works great through the channel box but I still can't seem to get the right-click matching function to work.  I have everything turned off except polys and nurbs curves.  I'm certain I'm doing it right wink

What's going on under the hood with this?  It feels like I'm missing a script or plugin here...
Do I need to install the zooToolbox or powershelves or something?

Anybody else had this issue?

#44 06-06-2012 4:44 pm

jjburton
Rockstar

Jeff, I'm not sure I'm following. You mean the blend is working on the channel box but the right click isn't working? Also, OS and Maya version info would be helpful.

It works via a dag proc. No other scripts should be necessary for it to work. Triggers require boTriggers to update but that should be it.

#45 06-06-2012 7:25 pm

JeffR

Exactly.  The blend is working via the channel box but the right-click doesn't give me any options for IK to FK matching etc. I'm using Maya 2013 x64 on Windows 7.

Thanks for all your replies, I feel bad to be wasting your time!  Much appreciated!

#46 06-07-2012 2:52 am

Chris.Daley
Participator

Hey Josh,

Thanks for responding!  I kept things simple to try to solve the problem, but even after importing that particular costume onto a fresh, referenced Morphy, I still had the problem.  I think it's just a skinning problem, as I looked in the Paint Skin Weights tool and saw that vertices around one knee were influenced by stuff on the opposite leg.  I watched the demo video for the costume pack, and the Morphy with the Ryan costume didn't have this problem, so I figured I was doing something wrong (I also watched your tutorial video on attaching meshes to Morphy).  I'd love to know how the animator got past this issue I'm having!

Unrelated, I've noticed a problem with Morphy's right leg.  There are no keys on the rig_hip_r_skin_twist_anim control, but the control is jerking back and forth a bit, twisting the leg strangely.  Any ideas what could be causing this?

Direct Link

Anyway, Morphy is wicked awesome.  Thanks for your hard work (and your help, of course)! big_smile

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by Chris.Daley (06-07-2012 2:54 am)

#47 06-07-2012 11:57 am

jjburton
Rockstar

Jeff, dug in a little and it appears that something with 2013 broke the right click menus. Huzzah...I just wrapped up a gig  so I've not had much of a chance to mess with it yet. 2012 works fine, 2013. nope. I'm planning on doing those functions via a new method for Morphy 2.0 but alas that's not gonna be ready for a while. The fastest answer is that you can 1) Roll back to 2012 2) try yourself see if anyone else has figured out what in 2013 broke dag procs or script nodes (and please let me know if you do) or 3) use another rig for now

Apologies, there's just too many irons in the fire to dig too much into it right now.

Chris, yup I've run into that. It's another lesson learned -  I'm connecting those things a different way on the next release. You can try selecting that control, pick walk up once and change the rotation order on that group. When I did my test animation, I just ignored the pops till I was ready to polish and force fixed those bad frames via keying that control when it happened to have a pop.

Sorry some of you all have been having such issues. It's always a hard thing of knowing how much to fix and how much to push on to the next thing with only so many hours of the day. In the end I've come down on the side of seeing that a lot of people are doing good work with the rig, I've done some alright work so it's 'good enough' for now. The list of things I'd wanna fix is so long I'm wanting to get on to Morpheus 2.0 and other rig ideas to address the macro problems.

Keep an eye on cgmonks.com to see what I've been busy with and to start seeing Morphy 2.0 progress hopefully towards the end of the year.

#48 06-07-2012 3:02 pm

JeffR

Hey Josh,

No worries, thanks for looking into it!  I've been matching the IK/FK positions the old fashioned way (by hand/eye) and it works fine too.  Not as elegant as an exact match but it's all good. 
Morphy is a great character to work with and, with the broad base of use, problems are a normal part of production!  (The problems are very minor in comparison to all the good bits of Morphy!)

Thanks again for making and sharing him!

JR

#49 06-07-2012 4:51 pm

jjburton
Rockstar

Jeff, give cgm.locinator from the cgmTools pack a look for a point of reference for snapping for space switching and FK to IK at least. It's a potential bridge tool. It makes snappable locators for objects and creates a relationship for easy snapping - www.cgmonks.com

#50 06-07-2012 4:55 pm

Chris.Daley
Participator

Hey Josh,

Thank you for the tip, and no worries about the issues, man!  We know you're working hard. smile  And Morphy is my go-to rig for a reason, you know (and I know Morphy 2.0 is going to rock, too). big_smile

Thanks,
Chris

Board footer