#1 12-05-2011 5:21 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

The Official Unofficial Morpheus Thread! (ASK QUESTIONS HERE FIRST!)

Ok, so I'm kind of getting tired of seeing so many threads asking Morpheus related questions, so I thought I would throw this together in hopes for it to become the be all end all thread to ask Morpheus questions, instead of hundreds scattered throughout the forum. This way there is a centralized place where you can a) find previous Morpheus questions and their answers, b) ask new questions about Morpheus, and c) have Josh Burton answer the new questions, all in one spot. It's no secret that Mr. Burton lurks the forums, mainly to answer questions about his rig, and obviously it is quite popular. As such I'm requesting for a mod to sticky this so it's very obvious.

So here are all the previous threads, and Josh's solution (I assume he clears them up, I don't feel like reading them all):

Morpheus Scenes get slow!
Quick Select Sets on Morpheus
Morpheus Gloves
Various Morpheus Issues
Morpheus Transparent skin
Change body texture tutorial
Spandex for Morpheus
Eye Geometry with VRay
Skin doesn't show up in render
Morpheus Global scale
Renderman SSS
Render Problem
Paint weights
Morpheus neck issues
Morpheus Shoulder Issue
Morpheus Tongue
Skin Color not Displaying
Reference Problems
Morpheus Lighting problem
Ik Elbow Stuck to a table
Hair parenting to Morpheus

Seems like that should be most of 'em. Josh should have updated a few of the others and fixed the issues with new releases. I'll update any more questions whenever Josh answers them.

AGAIN, IF YOU HAVE MORPHY QUESTIONS, PLEASE POST THEM HERE FIRST!!

Last edited by Camaro (01-28-2012 7:08 pm)

#2 12-05-2011 12:08 pm

jjburton
Rockstar
Karmojo: 71

Re: The Official Unofficial Morpheus Thread! (ASK QUESTIONS HERE FIRST!)

Gold star to Camaro! Thanks man:)

#3 12-05-2011 12:31 pm

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

I can stick it to this section as well, hope it doesn't get too much, though big_smile

The only problem I see here is that this'll become as long as the Eleven Rig thread, so people start asking the same questions over and over again. But, come to think of it, that's whats happening, anyways big_smile

#4 12-05-2011 1:07 pm

PivotGeek
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 58

its better if any problem we face with software or rigs ect.. googleing it first will be like first aid and also is saves time,..insteed of creating another topic here..

acting is a survival Mechanism-- Marlno Brando
My blog/Website

#5 12-05-2011 1:40 pm

ufukkiblat
Tipster
Karmojo: 25

Brilliant !!!!!

Be impressive, not excessive.

#6 12-05-2011 4:25 pm

BlurFrame
Celebrity
Karmojo: 69

Lovely... smile

#7 12-05-2011 6:37 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

wolfor wrote:

I can stick it to this section as well, hope it doesn't get too much, though big_smile

The only problem I see here is that this'll become as long as the Eleven Rig thread, so people start asking the same questions over and over again. But, come to think of it, that's whats happening, anyways big_smile

Eeeeexactly. big_smile

#8 12-27-2011 3:12 am

fernandosala

i was searching for a visibility node here and there for Morphy and I found that you can hide the geometry itself but can't hide the controls, at least the morphy version that i'm using (unless you disable the nurbs curves in the panel window, but when you bring it back it cames with lot of other stuff you don't wanna mess around), so i created a very simple mel script to show or hide the controls http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38428957/morphy … ntrols.rar hope it helps people struggling with the playblasts

#9 01-11-2012 5:01 am

Toutouffe
Celebrity
Karmojo: 66

Nice, I'll add a link to this thread on the morpheus database page... Great idea Camaro !

#10 01-15-2012 4:24 am

artbywaqas

Having Problems Cycling Animation using Morpheus Rigg

I just discovered the Morpheus rigg and thought I'd do some quick tests before using it in a project.

Here's the problem I ran into:

I was  roughing out a simple walk . This is what it  looks like before I try to cycle it:

Direct Link

and here's what happened after I went into the graph editor to try and cycle the animation. What I did was grab the foot, the hip and the knee controls  and applied Curves-post infinity -cycle

Direct Link

I cannot figure out why the left foot is getting stuck behind even though there are no keyframes causing this error.

Here's the 2 scene files as well. This was created in Maya 2012.

http://www.artbywaqas.com/maya_help/walkcycle.rar

I'm sure I'm making some simple mistake somewhere.. thought I can't figure out what. I just tried animating a simple forward jump test and got similar problems.

Anyone know how to fix or prevent this?

Waqas

#11 01-16-2012 7:06 pm

artbywaqas

Hi ,

Thanks for getting back to me, Josh.

Ok so I went back and made sure all the parts I keyframed for the animation had keyframes at the 1st

& last frames I want cycled. That fixed the problems that came up when I just hit curves- post

infinity cycle in the graph editor.

Direct Link

now to the 2nd part where I want the character to start walking forward I applied the curves-post

infinity -cycle with offset

Just to make sure the controls I selected were

the 2 oval shapes at the feet,
the boxy shape at the hips
& the 2 lollipop knee controllers

for all of them I made sure to select only the z translate channel when I applied the curves-post

infinity -cycle with offset

this what happened:

Direct Link

Also eventually when I finally get all this working right is there a way to convert the entire thing to keyframes so I can go back and edit anywhere I like even after the inititial frames I keyframed?

Waqas

#12 01-17-2012 9:53 pm

jjburton
Rockstar

Hey Waqas, so though I can't specifically tell you what's up. Looking at the test things are getting progressively off still which is where you should begin. You said you're only doing it on specific channels which may again be a source of your issue.

When I've had to do something like what you're looking to do, I've done this:
1) Animated a cycle in place
2) Translated the all anim to get close
3) Placed some locators at key points
4) then started plotting the feet  and hips back down to world space to keep them where they go and then

Hope this is helpful.
-jjb

#13 01-24-2012 8:13 am

bri360

Im having some trouble importing a second character into my scene, I reference it in with the same settings it shows in the video, update the boTriggers so the UI works again but when I try to keyframe any control on the rig it gives me the yellow warning "//Warning: Current Manipulator and active objects have no keyable attributes, , or animation layers are present and the BaseAnimation bar is not selected or locked."

Ive been playing around with it a bit and I just cant figure it out, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!! smile

EDIT: I figured out what the problem was, seems if you try and reference in morphy with any keyframes on it, the rig gets that error, I took all the animation off and it works fine now. But my question now is, is there a way to reference the rig in with keyframes already on it and have it work? I ask because I had mouth shapes for lipsynch on one of the morphy rigs already setup and to save time I was hoping to use it for both of them.

Last edited by bri360 (01-24-2012 8:35 am)

#14 01-24-2012 2:34 pm

jjburton
Rockstar

Yup, you learned a good lesson. Referenced assets shouldn't have keys  unless you really don't wanna be able to mess with something that's animated:)

zooTool's animXfer or whatever it's called. The quick-select sets are already set up to easily assign the source and target objects.

I cover the tool for a face thing in the "Blendshape That" tutorial vid on my vimeo channel.

#15 01-26-2012 1:46 am

bri360

Ohhh, okay, ill check out the video now. Thanks so much for the help!! smile

#16 02-04-2012 9:33 pm

Hypernova

Hey, I've got a really urgent noob question! Really loving the morpheus rig despite having limited experience with rigs.

Here's whats up, I was using the examples/teaser characters to animate with, but when I was trying to unload the references, I hit delete, instead of unload. So, I've deleted all (or most of them) from the animation. Can I restore them to the file somehow?

Fantastic rig Josh, if you see this. Crazy versatile. Thanks for releasing it!

Edit: I solved the problem myself...easily... by creating a reference from the original file. Sorry, I'd not referenced anything before.

Last edited by Hypernova (02-04-2012 9:45 pm)

#17 02-06-2012 5:55 am

jjburton
Rockstar

Glad you got it sorted out Hypernova. You can also remove the references of all the morpheus' you don't want from the teaser image and then use that as your base anim scene if you don't wanna mess with reference settings. Referencing is your friend, take some time to get to know it when you can:)

#18 03-03-2012 11:00 am

RiPPeR7666
Celebrity
Karmojo: 64

so Ive been trying to modify the face with a blend shape but its not working. problem 1 i try connect it right to the head geo and it breaks the controllers and problem 2 I try add it to the Face_BS_node and then it just implodes upwards Ive taken video of what Ive done. if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong or knows how to do this right please tell me or if what I'm trying to do is even possible?

Direct Link

check out my animation here:
http://josh-samuels.blogspot.com/

#19 03-09-2012 11:17 pm

Boumboum34

Morpheus feet roll--how?

I'm new to Morpheus. Haven't been able to find the answer to this one anywhere--I'm sure it's something simple and obvious, but I haven't figured it out. For a walk cycle, how do you roll Morpheus' feet? Specifically, the toes?

Reading other threads, I see you're not supposed to touch any of the joints directly, just the control curves and attribs in the channel box. I see for the feet, a gimbal (not gimble which is how JJBurton spelled it) which controls the heel/ankle joint, and that elliptical foot curve. I don't see anything for bending the toes? I have the legs in IK.

I turn on viewing joints, and I can see what looks like a reverse foot rig, and i see a joint for the ball--but I'm not supposed to touch the joints and can't figure out any other way to bend the toes so they lie flat on the ground during part of my walk cycle.

I see in the channel box two sets of attributes that seem relevant; Pivots (turned off), with Foot, Ball, and Toe Pivots; and Roll (also off), with Foot, Ball and Toe Roll. But I can't turn either the Pivots or the Rolls on, and entering numbers for the attributes doesn't work?

And rotating the elliptical foot control curve just rotates the entire foot, not just the toes.

So how I get the toe bend working for a walk cycle? At certain points in the cycle a foot will be in back, I want the heel off the ground and the toes lying flat on the ground, then unbend as the foot lifts off the ground. How?

Thank you in advance! smile

#20 03-10-2012 2:06 pm

jjburton
Rockstar

Foot roll controls are on the semi foot looking shape on the ground around the feet. The name of the left one is 'm_leg_IKleg_Cntrl_l_anim'. Note, if you've added layers and the layer of a control is set to reference mode, you will not see any attributes in the channel box.

#21 03-10-2012 5:52 pm

Bharat Nag

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44187443/11Second%20Club%20Troubles/d.jpeg

So i don't know why is this happening. Im using the rig for the first time. I changed the texture location to its right place but still this is happening. Pls help.

#22 03-11-2012 1:14 am

Boumboum34

bharatnag,

Looks to me like the normals for the hands and head got reversed somehow. That shouldn't have happened. This probably isn't the right way to repair it, but a quick and dirty fix is:

1. Go into Outliner, select face and hands geo (under rigs_grp). Hands and face should  turn to green wireframe.
2. Go to Attribute Editor, and under Display>Drawing Overrides turn on your drawing overrides for hands and face.
3. in Polygon mode, in Normals menu, click on;
   a. Unlock Normals.
   b. Reverse Normals.
(can also try "Set to Face", then "Average Normals" and/or "Soften Edge" and see if that has any effect).

Hopefully this should fix your problem. Though it'd be better to just re-install Morpheus, overwriting the original files, then in hypershade, in the Textures tab change all five file textures via the Attribute Editor to point to the proper files, and don't mess with anything else.

Last edited by Boumboum34 (03-11-2012 1:46 am)

#23 03-11-2012 10:11 am

Bharat Nag

Thanks foe your time Boumboum Re-installing the files did it for me. Thanks a lot

#24 03-14-2012 10:12 pm

ghross
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 33

Are there any general resources out there on how to put a costume on Morpheus?  I know Expressions was trying to put together a costume pack.  I see a lot of stuff on swapping textures but nothing so far on putting clothes on him/her.

----------------------------------------------------
http://grahamsbrainfunnel.blogspot.com/

#25 03-15-2012 2:29 pm

punkramenaz
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 56

Hello, i´m new in Maya and i having troubles with Morpheus and other rigs to: The controllers are deformed when i move them... they are afected by the other reference or by the other controllers on the same rig, creating a great mess. Anyone know what´s happening?

Thanks!

Board footer