#1 12-01-2011 10:44 am

Ohjin
Helper
Karmojo: 11

24 Hr Challenges

Hey to everyone who's seeing this.
I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him, but I was reading some of Mr.Roys Articles on KennyRoy.com (I suggest you check them out, they're great smile ). There was one in particular "Staying Motivated - Part 1" where he said:

"Years ago I was part of a forum and we challenged eachother to 24 hour animation showdowns.  The subjects were always very simple.  One would be “mount  (show a character getting onto a horse, motorcycle, or other vehicle), “arrow hit  (show a character being hit by an arrow), or “reach  (show a character anticipating and reaching for something overhead).  Because these were very manageable shots, and we gave ourselves strict frame limits and time limits, I had dozens of small successes in the beginning of my animation studies that made me feel like I was always getting better.  And it feels very good that you are always getting a little bit better, rather than always getting a little less WORSE."

That got me thinking, wouldn't it be great doing something like that on here. So let me know if you would like to give this a try and either I or someone else (with more experience at these thing) can set it up.

One guideline though, I see to many people on here trying to run before they can walk. This challenge would be best suited to those who have already covered the basics, such as the basic principles aka ball bounce, pendulum swing etc and some body mechanic exercises.

Anyway let me know what you think.
If someone thinks they are better qualified (than me, which they probably will be smile) to set the challenges and organize them, then let me know.

#2 12-01-2011 10:56 am

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Re: 24 Hr Challenges

Hey!
That was actually more or less the initial idea of these mini challenges when Camaro started them last year. Since the people lost interest in them somewhat, they got changed to the now present two-weekly challenge.

But what you could do, if you got enough drive to do it yourself without a looming deadline (I'm always having troubles with that) is take one of the previous challenges and do then within 24hours, and post them in the appropriate thread. Maybe this might revive some of the older challenges again, what do you think?

Camaro compiled a very exhaustive list of further possible animation exercises here, btw: http://www.11secondclub.com/forum/viewt … 190#p34190

#3 12-01-2011 11:20 am

Ohjin
Helper
Karmojo: 11

Sounds good to me.

#4 12-01-2011 4:33 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

sounds like im doing a bad job lol

#5 12-01-2011 4:41 pm

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

oh, um, that wasn't meant that way big_smile But I think it would be a great idea if people still did the old challenges as well, with the 24h deadline, if anybody wants to. I could stick the current competition to the top so it doesn't get dragged down but that was just an idea big_smile

#6 12-01-2011 4:52 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

indeed, both Camaro's challenges and the briefs for the new challenges remain visible to allow anybody to tackle them in their own time. We actually encourage it.

Alongside, we always welcome any suggestions/ideas of what people would like to see happen next smile

with the deadline for the current deadline occuring on Monday, it would be nice to see Ohjin perhaps tackle a pendulum. Matt's tutorial is there for anyone who may need a few tips, but then be creative and add some personality to it. Horganovski's tackled it beautifully and it would be great to see a few others give it a go too

Board footer