#1 10-24-2011 4:46 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

MC 19: To Spook or Not to Spook

This mini-challenge is inspired by Halloween, which arrives on the 31st October of each year. It is an event upon which the Celts believed the barriers between our world and the spirit world were at their weakest and therefore spirits were most likely to be seen on earth. Creepy!!

There are two sides to this challenge. Your can either take the role of the spook, through which your character does something devilish and scary. This could be perhaps be a zombie, vampire or some other kind of monster.

Alternatively, you can animate somebody being spooked/frightened. A few simple suggestions could be a take or running away, but most importantly be creative and have fun!

This is one of our first pantomime pieces and therefore we strongly suggest that 3d animators use a rig that they are comfortable with. This could be a ball with tail, a ball with legs, or a full biped. Justin Henton's Re-Animated presents a wonderful combination of all three for his Class 2 of Animation Mentor.

Direct Link

You could use something less human like the flour sack rig or the pixo lamp.

For 2d artists, this challenge may present you with opportunity to play with character design. Please check out one of my favourite flash films, Candy by Katy Towell.

Direct Link

As always frame rate should be 24fps, and animation length should be about 100-125f. Deadline is 7th November. Remember to keep the animations family friendly and please check the ''How to Participate'' section for more notes on submission requirements.

Good luck and Happy Halloween!

#2 10-25-2011 2:38 am

GREENBERET
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 57

Re: MC 19: To Spook or Not to Spook

Wow...! 

Can we also use own recorded dialog for this ?

As i am thinking about a guy who talking with someone... and at last he realized that that one is not human.

smile

#3 10-25-2011 6:03 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

Hello gauravjoshi,
of course you can. When the 11 Second Club was put together, the trial run seems to have been 6 secs of dialogue done over a two week deadline.
Always remember though, if you're skilled enough to do a lengthy, great, would love to see it. However, we would always much prefer people to handle as much as they can and think about quality rather than quantity. Good luck!

#4 10-26-2011 4:14 pm

Vrednia
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

I'm in this time!

#5 10-26-2011 6:12 pm

KLaw
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 31

Here's another great film to inspire the Hallowe'en theme by UK's "A Large Evil Corporation"

Direct Link

:)

I just finished my first pass of the last Luxo Lamp animation challenge and there is some scared surprises going on , would that be applicable for me to post here?  Would love to get some feedback.

#6 10-26-2011 6:27 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

for feedback id post it on the main forum. Depends what level of feedback u require etc.

For posting on this challenge, you may feel the timelines are important. It may depend on when you started production on the shot, though I would never have known if you had not said. Really up to you what you wish to do

Last edited by thelittlepenguin84 (10-26-2011 7:23 pm)

#7 10-26-2011 7:01 pm

KLaw
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 31

Ok, I will post in the other challenge topic then.. thanks!

#8 10-27-2011 4:35 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

Alright, well, I received a personal challenge to see Fred the Monkey in this mini-challenge, and my inner animator got all fired up and ready to tackle it. Here's my animatic:

Direct Link

Sorry if it doesn't read that well, I'm still working on my drafting skills to keep things looking better, and it is very rough. I just wanted to get the concept down.

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#9 10-28-2011 6:15 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

I like it. SOme really complex stuff going on and shown so simply. You know how Fred the monkey would move better than anyone, so all I can say right now is I def look forward to seeing how this turns out

#10 10-28-2011 1:22 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

thelittlepenguin84 wrote:

I like it. SOme really complex stuff going on and shown so simply. You know how Fred the monkey would move better than anyone, so all I can say right now is I def look forward to seeing how this turns out

Ha ha, well, to be honest I've never quite "animated" Fred to this level. Going for more of a Looney Tunes feel here than I ever have before. Really, to see how it works. After all, that's what these mini-challenges are for, right? Experimenting and getting better! smile

I also look forward to seeing how it turns out! tongue

---

#11 10-28-2011 3:21 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

well if thats the case, remember to shoot reference. I know its all cartoony, but you will get some ideas for how stuff is working etc. Good luck!!

#12 10-28-2011 4:24 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Good advice. One of these days I AM going to shoot reference for an animation I do.

One of these days............

Unfortunately today is not that day. I sadly have a miserably stiff neck and couldn't act out this scene without blacking out from pain. So once again, it will have to come from my head I guess. I'll "feel" it out as best I can.

---

#13 10-28-2011 4:30 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

You don't need to shoot everything, but the sheet is one of those I recommend shooting the reference for. Just seeing how it falls etc will help you out lots I am sure

#14 10-28-2011 7:16 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Totally agree. I was looking at that just now, actually. I don't really want to guess at that one. smile

---

#15 10-31-2011 7:08 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

Just writing to enquire how people are getting on?

#16 11-01-2011 2:28 am

GREENBERET
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 57

@thelittlepenguin

Sorry,

After a blocking process, i halted this idea due to official reason.
Wanna go home so spending lots of time in office.

#17 11-01-2011 10:00 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

I like it! But the only thing is, it seems like it's mostly in the far shot, with only a little close up. Might it make more sense to make the far shot a little closer, since the majority of what we're watching is there? Just a thought. Looking good so far!

I turned my first pass/layout version into an e-card for FtM. You can check it out here:
http://www.fredthemonkey.com/cartoons/halloween2011/

Now I'm going to spend the remaining days making it even spiffier for the 11 Second Blog. Woo!

---

#18 11-02-2011 9:09 am

blackbird256
Helper
Karmojo: 15

Man, esquilogp, I love the poses so much (especially the ending one). Oh and the way he comes in is pretty neat too, man. It's looking good. I would love to see the little girl though. Good luck.

#19 11-02-2011 4:41 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

JKR, you have pleasantly surprised me. You piece already looks pretty neat. I think a few things could be improved. For instance the timing of your lower lid of your creature. Of course their are a few things could be learnt from studying a classic Tex Avery, frame by frame, but right now its wonderful seeing such an accomplished piece.

For the 11 second club blog, I'm not sure if u wish to remove the title at the end. Doing this could make it look fresh and new throughout the year.

@esquilogp. Time is always against you and you know that I love your entries so far, however I am not yet sure what is happening in the scene. Seeing the girl animated should change all that though. I agree with JKR that presently there is a lot of empty space, but I am seeing this only at blocking stage, so this may depend on what you had planned. Hope you have time. Good luck!

#20 11-02-2011 7:54 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Yep, I'll take out that ending part for the final for here, and convert it to Quicktime. Also, I tried to send you an email, but I'm not sure you got it. Did you?

---

#21 11-03-2011 4:34 am

esquilogp

@JKR, @blackbird256, @thelittlepenguin84

Hi guys, thank you for  thoughts.. you were right about the far shot, i forgot the empty spaces.. but i wanted to use the deepness in somehow, explore the space... i was tired about the side to side action. So I kind keep the actions closer and i staged the major shot in the center. It can still be a mistake, but i want to try something diferent to me .. of course hit the deadline hahaha.. perhaps time is my major challenge..

Oooh i was forgetting, i will not use the little girl.. but a baby with a balloon hahaha

progress:

Direct Link

#22 11-03-2011 11:38 am

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Well I like the last pose, but what if you moved the camera closer as a whole and when he came into the foreground it was only his upper half? Then you still have that depth thing going, but it's not so far removed for the first half. I dunno, just a thought.

It makes a lot more sense now with the other character! smile

---

#23 11-03-2011 1:58 pm

threedsnack
Celebrity
Karmojo: 69

really great stuff going on.

JKR I liked your blocking, I'd love to see it as a finished shot! I think it would turn out awesome.

Esquilogp Your blocking looks awesome. I agree about the camera angle, it's a little confusing. It can be corrected my just throwing down a nurbs sphere, maybe with a couple objects of reference on it (something close, and something far). Anything that would hint to the debth of the shot.

Well done guys! I find myself becoming more and more inspired to get going on these weekly competitions.

"Adapt and overcome." - Viggo Mortensen

website

#24 11-07-2011 11:31 am

esquilogp

my scene, i didn't have much time to polish it.. there are still lots of things to improve, but it was very cool.. i learned many things from my mistakes. smile
I will work more on this scene as a personal study..

@threedsnack thank you, i tried to implement your thoughts.. i throwed down 3 nurbs spheres to help selling the depth.

Direct Link

#25 11-07-2011 1:53 pm

blackbird256
Helper
Karmojo: 15

Haha. Esquilogp, really cool as I've come to expect, man. Yours is a solid entry. I wasn't going to participate this time round cause my Maya Software is pretty much on strike right now. However, on Saturday, I thought to myself that maybe I could try and do this in 2d instead. So I got my mouse, fired toon boom up and came up with this little piece..

Direct Link

Yes, I know I have the drawing skills of a toddler(Amplified by the use of a mouse to draw) so be gentle with the drawing aspects of the piece. As for animation, I tried to apply the understanding of the principles I've acquired in my 3 months as an animator. I hope It's at least worth a look. Oh and about dropbox, I've pretty much failed to get my account to upload so I don't expect to be featured or anything. Just wanna put this up. Great day.

Board footer