changed the staging

please give your critiques and suggestions smile

Direct Link

#27 10-18-2011 6:14 pm

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Re: Mc 18: Lamp and ball

Great! Love the idea with the apple logo...

Here is my new piece, a few minor improvements that took up nearly half as much time as the whole animation yesterday big_smile
Again, if you find something worth improving, I'd be glad if you would let me know big_smile

Direct Link

have fun!

#28 10-18-2011 6:22 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

I think the overlap when he jumps is way too loose, otherwise it looks great.

#29 10-18-2011 11:27 pm

esquilogp

@threedsnack you are right, you and @blackbird256 saw the same problem with the beginning.. i tried to find some clever solutionto the problem, i dunno if i succeeded.. but it's a trail with a tiny obstacle to help selling the wheeling

@wolfor great scene man ! i think the lamp spreads too much energy to jump..
i don't think that the base is so heavy...

@Avijit Nice entry bro, maybe you could improve the personality of the ball, when it goes to bothering the lamp
try  to antecipate the jump.. hit the lamp's head.. so the lamp wakes up.. 
then maybe go on bouncing around. Just thoughts !

progress:

Direct Link

#30 10-19-2011 12:25 am

Avijit

Thanks Guys.

I just read those suggestions tongue

Lamp is not sleeping. He is depressed by the loss of Steve Jobs

another update

worked with ball rotation and slight with the lamp

Direct Link

Last edited by Avijit (10-19-2011 12:31 am)

#31 10-19-2011 6:13 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

Avijit, I believe you have a lot of work to do to bring on the animation and story telling of the idea.  If pushed and done for monday, it could be awesome!!

@Wolfor and esquilogp, these two could actually be my favourite mini-challenge pieces to date. Answered the brief perfectly. Fun, original and so creatively simple! They are awesome!

Last edited by thelittlepenguin84 (10-19-2011 6:14 am)

#32 10-19-2011 8:55 pm

esquilogp

thank you so much @thelittlepenguin84, i'm pretty sure that others great scenes will come.. everyone is doing their best. Anyways, it's always very fun to participate !

@Avijit just work hard, good lucky !

#33 10-19-2011 9:06 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

Definately, I said they are my favourite. But, others work has really put a smile on my face. I have seen some great, great pieces over the time the challenges have happened. However simple the piece is, just seeing people take part, learn and grow is... well, its a pretty cool feeling smile

#34 10-19-2011 10:42 pm

esquilogp

yeah you are right it's a pretty cool feeling.. it's amazing to see the evolution of the scenes. But thank you @thelittlepenguin84, the mc is a great place to study and meet people that love animation

#35 10-20-2011 1:38 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

Hi!
Thanks again for the kind words, it was fun to do this big_smile
I agree with you, Camaro, the overlap was too much, I reduced that.
The weight of the base I didn't reduce though, because I imagine this base weighing a few pounds, hence the energy going into that jump.
Whatever, here is my final result:
If someone still finds something, please tell me, otherwise I'll call it final big_smile

Direct Link

Last edited by wolfor (10-20-2011 1:39 pm)

#36 10-21-2011 12:27 am

Avijit

Here is my wip OR final with minimal shaders and no light

Direct Link

this is with light

Direct Link

and this is a test image when it will be rendered smile

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22237759/lamp_ball_render_test_image.jpeg

Thanks Steve and esquilogp. I tried your suggestion. Eventhough I did feel that ball animation is boring.

I really need to learn better way of storytelling. I learnt a lot from this challenge and seen some awesome works of esquilogp & wolfor!

@esquilogp & wolfor: I liked your animation. it was really entertaining. how u did the swing thing, man? and the shakiness? can u guys tell me more about your workflow?

Last edited by Avijit (10-21-2011 12:36 am)

#37 10-21-2011 10:18 am

wolfor
Rockstar

Avijit, I really like you acting on the lamp! It now really looks like its depressed.
What could still be improved is the rolling out of the ball. It looks too much like its sliding, you can make that look correct pretty easily if you try to let the curve of the forward motion and the curve of the rolling look alike in terms of ease in/out. Then you only have to scale the rotation curve until it fits the forward motion. I would also ease in the rolling for at least 8 more frames, maybe even have it rolling back a bit for a more natural look.

If you meant the shaking of the lamp in my shot, there are two pretty easy ways to do it:
Either you set a key on every frame during the period you want the shake to happen, and then shift the keys more or less at random in the graph editor. The thing you have to make sure here is that you create some ease in and out in the stagger, so you curve looks like a soundwave:
http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/157960/157960,1235188210,1/stock-photo--d-illustration-of-sound-wave-over-black-background-25327480.jpg
The other process is using the 'rand' command in maya. Thats an expression for creating random values. See the maya help for more information on that.
The odd stagger on the lightcone in my shot was a lucky coincidence big_smile

Last edited by wolfor (10-21-2011 1:22 pm)

#38 10-21-2011 2:20 pm

Avijit

thanks, wolfor for your critiques smile

I needed some sliding cause the ball should looks it had been pushed by the lamp. I tried with full rotation before but it seemed the ball is rolling on it's own or escaping from the lamp quickly. I will try your mentioned technique to make it a natural roll and not a slide tongue

your stagger technique with the help of graph editor that u described is same demonstrated in one of Jason Ryan's 'ramp-up tutorials'! and that is why I doubted that your technique should be similar. thanks for sharing your knowledge. it was so nice of u.

#39 10-21-2011 2:48 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

Oh, I didn't mean the sliding in the beginning, that's working okay (could even work better with rolling a bit in the opposite direction), I meant the sliding in the end (f120+) that's not working...
Is what I wrote the same as Jason's Tutorial? Neat big_smile I never read/viewed that, but I just felt that this is the most natural way of animating a stagger.

#40 10-21-2011 3:44 pm

Avijit

I found that sliding. I will try to correct that and post an update.

Ya, it is obvious to have common workflow's and your's way is similar to a well known talented animator is shows that u r definitely TALENTED and really understands the craft without struggling much with shifting keys.

Thanks smile

#41 10-21-2011 7:58 pm

Avijit

here's my rendered version of the entry smile

Direct Link

there r some issues with the lighting of the ball, it's shadow only comes prominent under the lamp's light tongue

@wolfor: I tried a lot to reduce that slide but I do feel it's still there on the roll back rotation sad

can I put this as my final entry?

Last edited by Avijit (10-21-2011 8:02 pm)

#42 10-21-2011 8:05 pm

esquilogp

@Avijit now i can feel more the sadness in your lamp.. but you can improve it more,  the little ball you could get acting references with Beauty and the Beast's Mrs Pott and Chip.. try to not  use a fixed base, you could move the lamp around a bit.. at the end for example, give its back to the ball.. changing the line of action, it gives more contrast..

About the swing, it's all about managing the character's energy.. what i mean is that you need to build energy (with antecipation),
increase it ( with the overlap of the spin ) and let it explode to get the snap..  but it strictly depends upon who is your character,
if my lamp had a low level of energy, and it was pretty lazy.. certainly the swing would never happen..

There are two amazing tutorials about this at Keith Lango's site

Tricks for Cartoon Snappy Motion: An Energy Crisis :
http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/old … onSnap.htm

The Zen of Lead & Follow: The Context of Animating Forces Instead of Forms
http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/old … Follow.htm

#43 10-21-2011 8:07 pm

esquilogp

Hi guys, i tried something different.. i used some ghosting in-betweens ( maybe i can call them this way hahaha ) at the faster actions.
I have seen them everywhere on my favorite warner's cartoons.. i try to build them at my viewport,
to get some sense of motion blur and smoothness.. they seem to work, what do you think ? maybe i have to study more these things

Direct Link

#44 10-21-2011 10:28 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

esquilogp, your gosting inbetweens seems to work very well, imo... how did you do that? I agree you could even do with a lot more of them here.
I now understood your point with the energy, and I agree with you, the jump needs more and better anticipation. I though you meant my base seemed too heavy (which I don't think). I'll see if I can produce another update before deadline on Monday big_smile

Last edited by wolfor (10-21-2011 10:30 pm)

#45 10-22-2011 10:12 am

jooan

Hi, here is my new piece, what do you guys think?
please give your suggestions and critiques

Direct Link

#46 10-22-2011 7:42 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

jooan, look good, but the jumps need a better timing, everytime the lamps comes down again, it takes too long to hit the ground. On the second jump, shift the base's animation back for 1-2 frames, while leaving the top like it is.

Here I've made some minor improvements to the arcs, and (hopefully) a better anticipation for the jump.
Now I'll call it final, even if there could be something improved on it big_smile

Direct Link

have fun!
Cheers!
Wolfi

#47 10-23-2011 9:35 am

jjacildo
Rockstar
Karmojo: 78

My crack at it so far. C&C

Direct Link

#48 10-23-2011 4:45 pm

blackbird256
Helper
Karmojo: 15

Hey everyone, let's not end the pixo jr party just yet. I put aside a few hours today and brought my idea to life. I know it's too long. I'm really sorry about that. I just couldn't fit this in less than 150 frames. I hope that you guys like this.
Blackbird out...

Direct Link

#49 10-24-2011 6:34 am

Avijit

esquilogp wrote:

@Avijit now i can feel more the sadness in your lamp.. but you can improve it more,  the little ball you could get acting references with Beauty and the Beast's Mrs Pott and Chip.. try to not  use a fixed base, you could move the lamp around a bit.. at the end for example, give its back to the ball.. changing the line of action, it gives more contrast..

About the swing, it's all about managing the character's energy.. what i mean is that you need to build energy (with antecipation),
increase it ( with the overlap of the spin ) and let it explode to get the snap..  but it strictly depends upon who is your character,
if my lamp had a low level of energy, and it was pretty lazy.. certainly the swing would never happen..

There are two amazing tutorials about this at Keith Lango's site

Tricks for Cartoon Snappy Motion: An Energy Crisis :
http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/old … onSnap.htm

The Zen of Lead & Follow: The Context of Animating Forces Instead of Forms
http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/old … Follow.htm

Thanks, esquilogp. I saw the videos of Beauty and Beast.....yes, I could take that as a reference for the ball. I didn't moved the base because of two reasons, one is that the I am not comfortable with the base controls of it's rig......it was giving some undesired effect and the second reason is probably that it is sad and so it should not move that much as it has 'low level of energy' big_smile Ya, I should move the base when he push the ball.
And the improvements u suggested that turning off from the ball that and also few other things to exaggeration I am trying but don't think I can submit with those improvements today itself. So, in that case the rendered video I have uploaded would be my final entry.

And also thanks for those links. I have read those a year ago but didn't get what it was. May be because of so much text or may be I didn't understand. I will read it again, hope so I will understand now as I have learnt quite a few things this year.

your entry is really awesome! smile

Last edited by Avijit (10-24-2011 6:35 am)

#50 10-24-2011 3:14 pm

esquilogp

@wolfor awesome job my friend ! I'm trying to learn these "ghosting" inbetweens..  i imported another lamp to the scene, copied the animation and the shader to it..
When i want these ghostings, i animate the shader's visibility and try to offset the ghosting lamp's pose to improve the arc, improve the overlap..
I found Josh Carey's site.. it's wonderfull what he is doing as a rigging supervisor..
http://cgjosh.com/2011/08/looney-tunes-ves-submission/

@Avijit yeah yeah you are probably right, he is sad..so you don't need to worry about many actions..
But don't let the rig dictate what you can animate, try to be confortable with it.. save a test scene, try some poses, .. before you really animate your character. In fact i didnt understand the tutorials at the first time, i had to read 3 times to catch the ideia hahaha
Thank you Avijit, you also did a great job .We are always learning ! 

i think it's my final.. r.i.p. Mr Jobs !

Direct Link

Board footer