#1 08-29-2011 11:10 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

Mc 15: Animal antics

Oh, oobee doo, I wanna be like you, ooh-ooh!!

This fortnight's challenge is to animate a human that moves like an animal. The reason I say human, is that I welcome the idea that there have been many both 2d and 3d entries. Whether its a 3d rig, or a drawn human biped, it be based on a human biped.

The inspiration for this comes from the background work Disney artists did to discover who Tarzan was. There is a link on youtube you may currently visit, where Disney legend Glen Keane talks about this research.

Direct Link

There is also a lovely clip in Jungle Book where Mowgli imitates walking like an elephant. I know there is also a great clip somewhere of Moom or Stewie acting like a dog. If anyone knows where that link is, please forward me a message and I will create a link.

Now the type of animal is up to you. It could be a swinging monkey, a landing/flying bird, a prancing deer. If objects are added, it could be a snail (ask how yourself how to make him crawl along) or even a butterfly or a fish. The choice is up to you. Although accepted, as the Tarzan clip shows the challenge also does not need to be a cycle.

Please be aware that rigs are often not designed to walk on fours, so testing is advised before thumbnailing etc. Keeping it simple and stylized is also advised. Its a human anatomy so differences will appear. The test is making these differences work in your favour to form an appealling animation.

Usual rules apply. Approximately 100-125f, 16 by 9 ratio. Challenge runs til 12th September. Please check the 'How to Participate' section for more details about submitting.

Enjoy!

Last edited by thelittlepenguin84 (08-29-2011 5:30 pm)

#2 08-29-2011 5:24 pm

Kai
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 53

Re: Mc 15: Animal antics

Looks really interesting.. Thank you littlepenguin big_smile about the previous entry MC14 im sorry.. it runs alittle longer then 125 frames.. Will try to keep to it big_smile.

Thanksss

kai big_smile

#3 09-02-2011 4:33 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

hey guys,
Anuj Garg just showed this example on facebook of an Animation Mentor student. Wasn't produced for this exercise, but its a perfect example of what could be done

Direct Link

#4 09-02-2011 4:34 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

Cool, definitely a good example.

I may have to sit this particular one out. I've got some work that needs taken care of during September and will be stretched pretty thin as it is. Good luck to everyone!

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#5 09-05-2011 10:32 am

blackbird256
Helper
Karmojo: 15

Hi guys. I wanna try this challenge for the 1st time and am thinking I'd go with a frog character. Norman would be jumping across these cubes kinda like a frog does with lilipads in a swamp.

#6 09-05-2011 10:31 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

cool, the movement of the arcs could be interesting to see. Even if its just one leap, getting that frog-ness in there would be nice. Good luck!!

#7 09-05-2011 10:37 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

Direct Link

Direct Link

hope these help

#8 09-06-2011 5:54 am

blackbird256
Helper

Thanks for the rererence, lilpenguin. It's helping a lot in the blocking. I was kinda lost with what to do with the legs in the 3/4 view. Well, 4 days left so I better get cracking.

#9 09-06-2011 9:36 pm

blackbird256
Helper

Here's the blocking for my shot. in linear. this has pretty much been the longest i've taken blocking a shot. and yet am still very unhappy with it. I tried to do it all in FK 1st and then learnt that the process of trying to keep a character attached to a surface in FK is called suicide.

Direct Link

I've ended up blending ik anf fk. am not happy with the 2nd jump. am not sure if its an issue with camera perspective or because its mine. the jump seems to lack power and height. should i make it a bigger, more powerful jump or get 2 smoothing.. after all, there is a deadline and all..
this is all me, i wanna hear anybody else's thoughts on this.

#10 09-06-2011 10:03 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

this is an excellent and brave attempt.

are you able to upload a quicktime version to dropbox. If you've never used dropbox before, please see this link http://blog.11secondclub.com/2011/05/us … me-by.html

The reason I ask is that it will be easier to frame by frame. My first thoughts are questioing the weight shift as he changes direction. You maybe able to grab a camera and film yourself, turning this position. The timing does feel slow on the second jump. The timing of the legs coming down maybe need a frame taken. Adding a bit of assemtry in the poses may help too.  Not sure, a quicktime version could definately make it easier for people to give advice. Great attempt so far, really am liking it a lot.

#11 09-06-2011 10:22 pm

blackbird256
Helper

Thanks a lot for the tips. Good thing i read this before i went off to sleep. It's like 1.30am over here. this shot's really kept me up. That's the dropbox vid and thankz for that coz i really hate anything from youtube but vimeo's not processing my vid this time round for some weird reason.
Critique away. i need to correct as much as i can so i can present something better. am off to rest so i probably won't respond for a while.

Direct Link

Last edited by blackbird256 (09-06-2011 10:27 pm)

#12 09-06-2011 10:36 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

sleep well. for now you def need to fix the weight shift between frames 35-44. Without it, it looks a little mechanical. If you have a cemra to shoot reference with, parts one and four of matt's walkcycle tutorial may help with this http://blog.11secondclub.com/2011/06/wa … rence.html

#13 09-07-2011 9:31 pm

blackbird256
Helper

Hey guys. I've re-blocked more than half the shot. This was after i did some video reference and found that my previous choice of poses was too mechanical. anyway, shooting video reference was fun (i felt so stupid) and i hope this new version is better.

Direct Link

I've encountered so many technical issues with maya in this shot. from gimbal lock to ik-fk blend & pops.. name it all. at some point, i was really envying the 2d guys. i still have tons to learn about maya so i can get the animation i need without technical issues coming up.

#14 09-08-2011 4:57 pm

esquilogp

Hi guys one more MC, so let's get some fun .. this is my progress, there are a lot things to fix, but it shows the idea

Direct Link

#15 09-08-2011 8:18 pm

blackbird256
Helper

Here's my new update. Did a bit of smoothing and few a few things. Don't know how much further i can push it at my current skill level so am gonna try and sneak some appeal in there through render and light. After all, it is one of the principles ain't it? wink

Direct Link

Last edited by blackbird256 (09-08-2011 8:19 pm)

#16 09-08-2011 9:02 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

hey blackbird. By all means work out what render you wish to put on it. Don't render the whole shot out yet though. I may have some time on the weekend to give you some kind of feedback. Maybe somebody else will chip in with some feedback beforehand.
Right now though, possibly offset the hands as they land.

#17 09-09-2011 12:34 pm

Kai
Model Citizen

@blackbird256 definitely can sense the frog in him ! good job!! big_smile I think in terms of the jump.. you can take off some keys when at the jump.. now its slightly floaty especially when he leap off.. and the arc of the jump drop too abruptly.. try create less angled drop at the end..  make a smoother curve. I like how you do the turn when he is on all four .. maybe try add some torso movement while he is turning? now the torso is not fleshy...  while he anticipate to jump! try squash/curved the torso more or reverse curve so that it arc up.. smile the ending pose is not appealing. Try make him.. maybe a frog recover to a pose with chest up.. looking to the ---> side of the empty screen.. will add some appeal.. i think.. the landing is abit slow for the lower body.. And just one more!! maybe let the head look at where he jump and not rotates the head down... now ..head are losing focus.

@esquilogp this is nicee... doggy~~ great job !! big_smile I like the scratch!! Maybe the looking left and right.. try make the head rotate up and down like beathing... panting or excitement? will give more personality I think.. Maybe keep the head looking at the ball when he come into shot will help link the character and the ball from the start.. and direct audience to the ball-dog-ball-dog-ball dog- dog! hahaha!! I like how the limbs not stuck to one spot.. smile *thumbs up!* lastly when the ball drop off..i feel that the dog lost interest of the ball.. but dunno why.. Maybe!.. let him spot something Off screen will be fun to watch.. haha.. big_smile just thoughts... NICEE!!!!

heee... as for mine.. still working on it.. well.. too little time spare on it.. hope atleast the animalistic is recognisable.. ehehe.. will upload it soon..

Cheers!

kai

#18 09-10-2011 10:49 am

jjacildo
Rockstar
Karmojo: 78

Here's what I have so far. I will probably change the tongue part.

Direct Link

EDIT: Changed movie file to something more convenient.

Last edited by jjacildo (09-10-2011 11:18 am)

#19 09-10-2011 11:00 am

blackbird256
Helper

Hey everyone, this is where I've reached with the froggy norman shot.

Direct Link

I appreciate the fact that i got a lot
help from a lot of people. I tried to incorporate all the ideas that I've been given (some were contradicting
so I had to pick one)
The little penguin, Droo, Kai .. You guys all showed me something i hadnt thought of.
I've done so much blockin and re-blocking of the shot, suffered with technical
issues in maya and even my own inexperience. Still, I think it's been time spent moving forward.
I know the animation is far from perfect but i hope it meets
the requirements of this challenge. Am not gonna push the animation further
as I'm really busy this weekend. However, C&C is still very welcome. Learning in animation does not stop.
I'm currently working on lighting, render anf vfx but it seems to be taking forever. My machine is pretty
basic and not really built for heavy duty graphics tasks. I'm putting up this playblast incase i do not
finish the render in time.

#20 09-10-2011 11:43 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

hey blackbird, just to let you know, you'd have till tues evening in which ever country you live in. Although a new challenge will be posted on a Monday, I usually collect the post the work a few days later. This means that those who wish may have a little extra time to finish up.

Hope this helps

#21 09-10-2011 1:19 pm

blackbird256
Helper

Thanks for that info, man. am sure my render will  be ready with all elements on Monday. And i wanna apologize for the extra gag at the end, it carries the shot across the limits of the challenge. I just couldn't resist. It went so well with the idea i have for my vfx. I will be more careful next time round and plan better. Have a great weekend. smile

#22 09-10-2011 2:10 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

the gag at end can be left in, you just may wish to ease the head just before. Consider how each little body part should move. So not just the pose itself, but the purpose of the breakdowns too. There is a great section in eric luhta's book, How to Cheat Maya, which offers a work flow method that could help.

as for planning, i knew this one was going to be tricky from the start. Thats why it came with a prior warning to plan. Not sure what was method of planning consisted of, but the end product looks good.

enjoy!

#23 09-10-2011 2:11 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

i have just seen jacildo's work, wow!! love it!! I have no idea how you wish to change the tongue, but right now it works very well. The line of action works well, its quirky and adds something different. Congrats!!

and esquilogp is coming on well too

Last edited by thelittlepenguin84 (09-10-2011 2:13 pm)

#24 09-10-2011 4:27 pm

Kai
Model Citizen

@jjacildo thats really some nice lizard going on there!! Maybe add 1 frame cushioning for contacts of the hands and feet will give more weight and flesh big_smile. NICE!!!

@blackbird256 Last pose need some ease~ let the body move down some more... or recover up slightly.. Don't let the body snap to a stop!!   Looking better now!! keep it up!! big_smile  Playblast is great!!

cheers~

kai

#25 09-10-2011 7:18 pm

Kai
Model Citizen

Here it is~

Direct Link

I think I failed this completely.. LOL... Make a guess.. what animal is this?? Its unreadable.. =_=
almost giving up this MC.. hehe.. Anyway.. C&C are most Appreciated!! big_smile

cheeers

kai

Board footer