#1 07-11-2011 8:56 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

mc 12: give it some swing

He swings and......
This challenge is all about sports and swinging an object. Take your favorite sport and animate your character performing an action from it. If you want to inject some personality into it great! Could be a baseball batsman, a tennis player or perhaps a golfer. Maybe your a seasoned pro-wrestler about to hit somebody with a chair!!

Think about all the mechanics that go into an action in any sport. The anticipation needed to generate power. The arc of the movement. The weight shift. The follow through. The settle. Try and incorporate all the principles into your piece of animation.

Remember to plan your animation out before you start animating. If you cant shoot yourself, check out youtube.com or bbcmotiongallery.com. there should be an overwhelming amount of reference material for you to use.

Most of all have fun. Pick your favourite action of your favorite sport. If you havent checked out the goofy playing sports clips youtube that and there is an abundance of inspiration to be found.

Have fun animating!

p.s. please don't forget, the entries are now to be submitted in 16:9 ratio. Makes for much better presentation

#2 07-13-2011 8:45 am

iest_rob
Tipster
Karmojo: 29

Re: mc 12: give it some swing

This is a great challenge, and I'm in for sure.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how you'd parent two FK arms to a bat? I've got no problem at all parenting one hand, but the second is proving to be a bit of a nightmare. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#3 07-13-2011 4:05 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

I had a good free day today, so I went ahead and did the blocking for my shot. It's heavily influenced by Goofy teaching us how to play baseball. I've tried to really push the poses, and it's my first time using the awesome Norman rig. What do you folks think thus far?

Direct Link

Any feedback would be great!

#4 07-13-2011 7:33 pm

C-Nielson
Rockstar
Karmojo: 80

Looking good, iest_rob! I especially love that stretchy pose before the swing. My only critique would be that with such a huge anticipation, the swing would be A LOT faster. Maybe only a couple of frames. I love the way he creeps up on it.

"Persistence is something you get when you're doing something you truly love." - my hero, Ralph Bakshi

Check out my blog! www.cordnielson.blogspot.com

#5 07-13-2011 7:37 pm

sharif_atta
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 50

Hey iest_rob, you are really playing with the rig. good stuff man! But i think you should do something about the pose on 132. its really unbalanced.

#6 07-14-2011 4:42 am

Vien Nguyen
Participator
Karmojo: 7

Great contrast in timming! good job Iest big_smile

#7 07-14-2011 5:06 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Hello, thank's for the feedback guys. I've gone ahead and added a few more inbetweens, and tweaked the timing here and there.

Direct Link

What do you folks think? Anything that stands out?

#8 07-15-2011 9:47 am

Vien Nguyen
Participator

I personally think that the body acts a bit weird from 42 to 46.
Besides, overall looks very well, I especially like the moment when the char shaking his hand during a moving hold at around 100.
so..correct me if i'm wrong.

way to go pal.

Last edited by Vien Nguyen (07-15-2011 9:51 am)

#9 07-17-2011 2:06 pm

sudipto1990@gmail.com

@iest_rob ... nice concept.....but don't you think that in the last frame , you are breaking the whole rig and its kind of hurting the character????? i mean like his whole upper body is twisted.....just my own personal opinion......great work though.....

LOVE what you DO..
DO what you LOVE..

#10 07-18-2011 2:52 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Hello, I've gone ahead an entered the dreaded Spline.

Direct Link

Has anyone got any tips on how to make this step any easier? I know this pass looks very ugly, with a lot of bumps and the arcs not flowing nicely - but I'm having a hard time easing them out. I really have a hard time going from Stepped mode to Spline.

Thanks for the notes so far folks! Thanks for your comments sudipto, but right now I like how twisted he looks, I might ease it out a bit later on, but right now, I think it kinda works, with how much he's bent on the anticipation?

Vien: Could you describe what you think looks weird around f42-46?

Any feedback you guys have would be awesome!! Thank you smile

#11 07-18-2011 4:29 pm

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Hi Iest!
Great, I like it!
What springs to my eye is that you need to take care of the baseball bat's arcs. They're really distracting from 35-56 and 163-188. In frame 38-41 it looks to me as if he breaking his wrist?

Edit: Sorry I should have read your post before commenting big_smile But the slow down around frame 175 takes out much of the force of his stroke, so maybe you want to address that

Keep going!
Emarston, it's still very hard to tell anything from that blocking pass, but I think from the speed the gun is coming down it doesn't look as if the zombie's head could have been knocked away that fast...

Cheers!

Wolfi

Last edited by wolfor (07-18-2011 4:43 pm)

#12 07-19-2011 12:15 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Hey there Wolf,

Thanks for your comments, they helped a lot in terms of getting the action to flow a bit nicer. Especially the arcs of the bat, it's still killing me a bit, so I'll go back and adjust them in a bit. I've also address the timing issues here and there, and here's what I've got so far:

Direct Link

Again, any feedback would be fantastic.
Thank you.

#13 07-19-2011 5:10 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

Hi!
Looks much better on the first arc, the second would need some minor refinements (sorry for the crude drawings, a mouse is not a pencil big_smile):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10299684/frame165.jpg
here I would add a little more drag, so you get a nice flowing motion on that position.

I would skip frame 170 completely, that just slows the motion down

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10299684/frame171.jpg
here you just need to polish this arc, if this position jumps too much because you took the previous frame out, try to fit his position 20% nearer to the position in frame 170, but keep the bat stretched out like the picture.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10299684/frame173.jpg
here you need to take the bat out of his silhouette so it reads better and also for a better spacing.

thats for the arcs. A colleague of mine was the opinion that the energy of this stroke should make him spin around a lot more, but that's just a suggestion.

Btw, I remember being to Snowdonia as a kid, I remembered this because of the cool name and I think we stayed in or near a Town called Llanwrst which I remembered because the name (more or less) resembles "country-sausage" in German (Land-Wurst) big_smile
Wow, I guess I haven't thought about this for at least 20 years smile

Last edited by wolfor (07-19-2011 5:15 pm)

#14 07-19-2011 7:16 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

Hey there!! This is awesome - thank you so much for the draw over on the frames, I really appreciate it! I shall go ahead and implement the changes later on tonight when I get some free time. I also agree with your colleague, about the spin, and it was something I'd plan on doing - but instead of spinning, I was going to make him twist around himself, tangled - like how a rope is twisted around itself to strengthen the rope - but I couldn't get the rig to do it. But I like the idea of spinning, I shall give that a try for sure!

Ahh, Llanrwst! Ha ha, I love how you remember the name of the place. Tiss a lovely little place. I like Snowdonia a lot, I have many images from the mountains on my Photography section of my blog if you wanted to check them out? I'm currently living down in Freiburg though! Where abouts in Germany are you from?

#15 07-19-2011 9:44 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

Hey, you're welcome! I'm really glad I can help big_smile And this is not without self interest: Helping others sharpens your eye for your own work and mistakes

I had a look at your blog and I really like your pictures, I remember Mt. Snowdon a little different, we had some ghastly weather with a lot of wind (well that's nothing new, I know big_smile)
I'm from Munich, but my Grandparents used to live in Freiburg at the Meisenberg and my Uncle still lives in Freiburg. I love Freiburg, you chose a beautiful city to stay in Germany  smile

Last edited by wolfor (07-19-2011 9:45 pm)

#16 07-20-2011 9:05 am

kiopaa
Participator
Karmojo: 8

Just the beginning of my animation :

Direct Link

#17 07-20-2011 10:52 am

wolfor
Rockstar

kiopaa wrote:

Just the beginning of my animation :

Looks nice! I would change the timing of the hit, to make it considerably faster. Whats more, take a look at this picture:
http://sportbild.bild.de/SPORT/Fotogalerien/sportmix/tennis/lisicki-sabine-karriere/lisicki-aufschlag-neu-12048348-qf,templateId=renderScaled,property=Bild,height=349.jpg
You see that you can go way more extreme on your poses, you're using a cartoon character, after all big_smile

Cheers!

Wolfi

Last edited by wolfor (07-20-2011 11:22 am)

#18 07-20-2011 9:05 pm

iest_rob
Tipster

I've gone ahead and did some changes as Wolfor suggested, and played around with the timing quite a bit, here's what I have:

Direct Link

If anything pops out, please let me know folks! Thanks

Wolfor: I'm glad you like the photos! He he, yeah - the wind and rain is a very common thing up in Wales, and I must say that living down here, in the glorious sunshine, make me really miss the wind and rain a lot!

I go running on the Meisenberg pretty much everyday as it has a nice run up to the hills behind it!! Ha! That's crazy! If you're ever down here - give me a shout, we could grab a beer!

Last edited by iest_rob (07-20-2011 9:26 pm)

#19 07-21-2011 2:03 am

Vien Nguyen
Participator

@IEST_rob: My close friend saw your animation and he laughed a lots smile)

Keep going pal!

#20 07-22-2011 7:27 am

kiopaa
Participator
Karmojo: 8

here is the second blocking of my animation, I took wolfor's advice in account.

Direct Link

#21 07-22-2011 9:35 am

iest_rob
Tipster

Hey there Kiopaa!

It's looking really nice. One thing that you might benefit from is an actual frame where contact is made with the ball and bat. Right now, I can see that the ball gets hit, but I'm not feeling it, so I think by adding a contact frame in there it would sell the hit much better.

Also, work a little on the final pose. Right now it's not very appealing. Perhaps you could make him go into the stance that tennis player go into when they're waiting for the return of the ball, you know that hunched over one, with the racquet in both hands, center of the body. It'll just give a little story to the piece I think.

Also, the pose on f26 could do with being a little clearer. We lose the knee on the screen left leg, and it looks strange.  Really twist the body back - in the direction of the shoulder that's holding the racquet, and pose the knee out, because as you go into the pose at f32, all the momentum seems to be lost, as the pose on f32 doesn't seem very energetic.

Good stuff, It's shaping up nicely!

#22 07-22-2011 9:40 am

iest_rob
Tipster

Could anyone tell me what this mean, or how I can do a playblast/render to the correct aspect ratio?

thelittlepenguin84 wrote:

p.s. please don't forget, the entries are now to be submitted in 16:9 ratio. Makes for much better presentation

Thanks!

#23 07-22-2011 9:55 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

I'm not sure why penguin put a restriction on the aspect ratio, but in any case all it means is the dimensions of the movie, the width divided by height. For example 720 / 1280 = 1.777, if you divide 16 by 9 you get 1.777, so 1280x720 is a 16:9 ratio. However, that would be unrealistic for posting on here, so if you divided each dimension by 2 you'd get 640x360, which would be an acceptable dimension/aspect ratio.

So, to playblast to these dimension, (assuming Maya), right click on the timeline > Playblast > Option Box. Click "Custom Settings' under the dimension and enter 640 and 360 as the width and height. Then playblast and make sure it's a .mov file, and host it on dropbox.

Good to go smile

#24 07-22-2011 3:28 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

Iest, I really like it now, I just found a few very minor technical things: in Frame 85 you have a wobble in the bat's arc and in frame there is a strange snap in his knee. In frame 169 (thats my fault, sorry big_smile) the bat's spacing could be more even between it's (visual) position in frame 168 and 170.
What I really like is that although he doesn't hit the baseball, at least he's hitting some balls in frame 160 big_smile

And yea, I think I remember that going uphill the Meisenbergweg, that you get into countryside pretty soon. Are you using that road to go uphill? There have been a lot of changes there in the last 19 years I guess, but if you by any chance come across I think a white 2-story house with a strip of garden between (or behind) the garage and the entry door, which is not at the front of the house but at the side (according to the satellite picture on google maps I think its meisenbergweg 5 but I'm not sure) then you're probably running past the house my grandparents lived in big_smile
I would actually love to come to Freiburg again, haven't been there for ages... I'll definitely give you a shout when I get there big_smile

And I think, Steve (thelittlepenguin) wants to cut all submission together in one quicktime, hence the 16:9 format.

Last edited by wolfor (07-22-2011 3:30 pm)

#25 07-22-2011 3:39 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

kiopaa, I think it looks much better now, you could bend him back even further in the anticipation of the stroke. And, following what Iest already wrote, the hit doesn't sell as good as it should because in frame 41-42 the racket stops short although it would actually continue on that arc, so it would end up behind his back in frame 47, imo.

Actually I personally like the final pose, looks like he's lost somehow, or hit something he didn't intent to (like the referee) big_smile but thats just my odd sense of humor smile

Board footer