#1 05-30-2011 7:17 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

Mc week 9: standing up from being seated

Hello guys and gals,
This fortnight's challenge is going to be 'stand up from being seated', taking place between Monday 30th May until Monday 13th June.

Key elements:
1) Personality. Glen Keane has shown one way, but be great to see a range of characters by different animators. Ask yourself who is this person, why is he standing up?  Somebody sitting in a doctors surgery receiving a jab is going to be much more reluctant, than somebody going to answer the door to friend. Maybe something scared him/her out of the seat?
2) This is very much part of the first element, but it's a big one. Think about how your scene opens and finishes. How does your character's motivation for both sitting and getting up, affect both the first and final key poses.
3) The shifts in weight. Look for ways to play with asymmetry.

A good frame limit once again would be 100f. You can go under or over, but most importantly tell a story with the action.

To give you guys a rough idea, here is a great Glen Keane demonstration of an old man getting up.

Direct Link

Hope you participate, be creative and have fun!!

#2 06-07-2011 11:08 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

Re: Mc week 9: standing up from being seated

hello people,
just wondering if anybody is participating in this fortnight's challenge?? if so, how are you getting along?

#3 06-07-2011 4:23 pm

merj

Ive been too busy and don't think the remaining 7 days will be enough for me but I will try. Besides this one is WAY beyond my skill level smile

Mario

#4 06-07-2011 11:27 pm

WyRd
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

I've been a bit out of it the last week with lots of Overtime and feeling a bit unmotivated. But think I will give this one a try. I've never animated anyone standing up before so should be interesting smile

Check out my animation blog: at www.brendonvince.blogspot.com

Also would love to chat to other animators on MSN or Gchat smile

#5 06-07-2011 11:31 pm

WyRd
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Oh I'd also like to add this link to an animation mentor webinar I watched a while ago about planning and workflow.

In the first two video's of webinar they go over there workflow using the demonstration of having a character standing up.
http://www.animationmentor.com/webinar/ … binar.html

Hope this helps some people

Check out my animation blog: at www.brendonvince.blogspot.com

Also would love to chat to other animators on MSN or Gchat smile

#6 06-08-2011 12:20 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

Hey Wyrd, def would like to see you create a stand up from seated. Its a low participant week, but things going as strong as ever. Concerning the blog etc, there have been many ups and downs, so although would prefer to see more take part, just take it in our stride smile

Of course if you do enter, please upload your entry here by monday using dropbox. I warn you, it is a tricky one to get right. Shoot a lot of video reference.

If you manage to complete, please post a dropbox link to the finished quicktime file. Thank you

As for the link. It is a great resource, thank you. Really taught me a fair number of things and was loaded to blog a few weeks ago. Really is awesome!!

Last edited by thelittlepenguin84 (06-08-2011 12:29 am)

#7 06-08-2011 2:30 am

ManaDragon
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 35

I've known about the mini challenges but I was worried if I tried them, I'd have a lot of random keys and misguided animation for an entry.  But I might enter the next one with some extra free time on my hands, maybe I've gotten better?

And cool vids btw!

#8 06-08-2011 2:05 pm

StefanLipsius
Celebrity
Karmojo: 63

Bah, ya, ive been busy. house sitting my parents place. Ill try, but if not, next one for SURE.

#9 06-08-2011 5:32 pm

NickNitro
Participator
Karmojo: 6

This will be my first public animation test. I am a 3D generalist but have become very interested and fascinated with animating. I know through this challenge Ill learn a lot and I hope for some feedback!

If anyone could help me out in a direction of a good rig for 3ds Max users (I have 2 but I just wanted to see what other people use) and also how to attach videos to posts for when I show my WIPs.

Thanks in advance guys and I look forward to this challenge!

EDIT: Trying to put my very first playblast in dropbox to be able to put up here for you guys. I can export a playblast from maya as iff's or avi but not a .mov.....Can anyone help me to figure out how to get this into a .mov so it can properly be viewed on here? Thanks.

Last edited by NickNitro (06-09-2011 12:35 am)

#10 06-10-2011 7:06 pm

NickNitro
Participator

*crickets* lol. I hope these mini projects don't die! Theyll help out beginner animators like myself soo much.

#11 06-10-2011 7:26 pm

KyleG
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 38

Kyle Kenworthy
My Blog
My Class

#12 06-10-2011 7:45 pm

NickNitro
Participator

Thanks Kyle I really appreciate it.

#13 06-10-2011 8:34 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

sorry, nick. been a little distracted. its tricky checking everyday, we got to animate too. the mini-challenges are still going ahead. Full steam!! Over on the facebook group, we have helped one animator with his stand up, giving feedback here and there. There is a great tutorial being produced right as we speak, so please stay with us as we try to grow.

Yes, it'll be bumpy but i'm confident there are many good things planned. Have a tricky one lined up next, but if animators plan well could be cool.

We will of course try to help max users too, building resources to help no matter how you animate. Just takes time

Last edited by thelittlepenguin84 (06-10-2011 8:39 pm)

#14 06-10-2011 8:34 pm

NickNitro
Participator

This is my first time posting any form of work here and one of my first animations in a very long time. This is by no means done. Still in stepped, but like all beginning animators the fear of switching over to splined is a little overwhelming at the moment haha. Id love some critiques and feedback if you guys could. I feel there are some really great and talented animators that visit this site and I would be honored to get some nice critiques.

Thanks in advance!

Direct Link

Last edited by NickNitro (06-10-2011 8:36 pm)

#15 06-10-2011 8:42 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

i think your timing is out nick. Grab a camera and experiment, it will give you a few. also using the dropbox link that kyle provided, load a quicktime onto dropbox and post a link, will be easier to frame by frame.

By first grab a camera. watch and time your body. don't just use a mirror, or your head. theres more going on than u'll first imagine

#16 06-10-2011 8:49 pm

NickNitro
Participator

Thanks little penguin I appreciate it. Ill get someone to video me this weekend and go from there. In regards to Dropbox I do have it downloaded at home the only thing is when I export a playblast from maya I can only do it as an .avi or .iff. Is there a quick and easy way to turn you playblasts into .mov's?

#17 06-10-2011 8:56 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

depends on what version your using, u shud be able to export as mov. If not, quicktime pro is pretty good. It will cost you 20 quid though. I never wanted to spend, but now finding it so easy.

Also, get your a flipcam. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8& … db2bxhcj_b

If you wanna get into animation, your going to need a camera. Again i never wanted to pay out, even thought it was a waste of money when it arrived. Then the penny dropped for me. This little device is amazing. Any action i want to understand, it instantly records, plugs straight into my pc and im away. Allows u to quickly experiment with different versions of an action.

#18 06-10-2011 9:06 pm

NickNitro
Participator

My girlfirend actually has one of those flip cams. Soo easy and portable! I told her to bring it when she comes over this weekend so I can borrow it ha.

Im using Maya 2010 it was really weird when I wanted to export the playblast and saw it was only as an iff and avi I always thought you could as an mov. Ill look more into it.  I really appreciate it penguin this is helping out a lot. Hopefully I will have a better timed playblast in the near future for everyone.

Edit: Ill just find a converter for my avi's no big deal.

Last edited by NickNitro (06-10-2011 9:13 pm)

#19 06-10-2011 9:15 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

the new task starts monday. You may wish to wait till then. Its going to involve an advanced pendulum type of exercise.

Meanwhile play about with a bouncing ball. It will help your timing and spacing. If you've already done one kind well, try another like a heavy, or a ball bouncing down some stairs.

#20 06-11-2011 6:30 pm

merj

I wont have time to finish since I had to format 2 days ago. but this is what I did in stepped keys in 2 hours today. Im still waiting for my flipbook code since the old one wont work after the formatting. I might be able to do some more tomorrow . if not I will continue this after the challenge has ended just for good measure smile

Direct Link

Mario

#21 06-12-2011 8:51 pm

merj

found this on Spungella. It has a nice sit and stand in it. I thought about doing a bar stool stand but didnt have the time to shoot reference for it. This one is so much better than I could have done smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … bIiG5r9vi4

Mario

#22 06-12-2011 9:11 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

the movement of the stool is a really nice touch! Pleased to have watched. Thank you

#23 06-13-2011 12:58 am

NickNitro
Participator

Penguin - That was my idea exactly. I will go back to the basics with the bouncing of balls rather than going into something more in depth as a character for the time being. I will work on my spacing and timing with a ball and go from there.

Thanks a lot this is the kind of direction I was looking for.

That youtube video was pretty nice, I do love the slow push forward as hes getting up to go talk to the woman, shows a lot of character.

#24 06-13-2011 2:36 am

StefanLipsius
Celebrity
Karmojo: 63

Alrighty, I had a bit of spare time, so I gave it a shot at the last minute. Took two and a half hours to do this. Felt really good to get back into personal pieces again. Havent done it since I got my job.

Direct Link

#25 06-13-2011 1:26 pm

merj

Looks great Stefan !! I will study this one too smile

Mario

Board footer