#1 05-15-2011 3:42 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

mini challenge week 8: The box jump

Hello guys and gals,
This fortnight's challenge is going to be a jump on or/and off of a box. I asked Keith Lango for advice on creating good exercises and this was on the list for practicing body mechanics.
The challenge starts on Monday 16th and runs until Monday 30th.
Key elements:
1) the anticipation of the jump
2) the contact position (offsetting body parts so they arrive at different times)
3) the land (does the character land still, crouched like a gymnast before posing, does the momentum of the jump mean the character needs to take a couple more steps before stopping. Have a play)
4) the overlapping action of the spine.

There's room to be creative in the type of jump you wish to portray. Is the box like a diving board with a somersault off?? Is it an acrobatic jump? If so study gymnasts. If its a reluctant diver, shoot some character reference. Enjoy!!

A good frame limit would be 100f. Thinking 150 max as six seconds is a lot of work and imagine the quality ones could be much shorter.

Hope you participate, be creative and have fun!!

p.s. to give you guys a rough idea, here is a great animation mentor example from 2009

Direct Link

o,s, don't forget to check out the entries for the walk cycle challenge, to be posted on the blog shortly

Last edited by thelittlepenguin84 (05-15-2011 3:44 pm)

#2 05-17-2011 7:39 pm

mattwood2185
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Re: mini challenge week 8: The box jump

My attempt.

Direct Link

#3 05-17-2011 8:41 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

wow your quick off the mark. Great start and I like the idea. However, if you look at the contact pose, as he lands on the box, the lid falls through before he has barely touched it. Theres actually a whole frame where the lid moves, but the character doesnt.

Also could play with the idea more.
For example, currently he goes right through the box. Could break this up, he lands on the box. As he crouches, to store energy to leap off. The box gives way, he falls through

#4 05-17-2011 8:47 pm

mattwood2185
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

thelittlepenguin84 wrote:

wow your quick off the mark. Great start and I like the idea. However, if you look at the contact pose, as he lands on the box, the lid falls through before he has barely touched it. Theres actually a whole frame where the lid moves, but the character doesnt.

Also could play with the idea more.
For example, currently he goes right through the box. Could break this up, he lands on the box. As he crouches, to store energy to leap off. The box gives way, he falls through

Thanks. Completely missed that the lid starts moving before he hits it.

Really like that idea, i'll give that a go some time over the next few days.

#5 05-17-2011 8:58 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

remember the deadline isnt until 30th, so there's no rush. Get it done nicely with good handling of principles, the project could make great addition to your reel

#6 05-20-2011 7:16 am

Kirstenw

I am interested in taking part in this but I have a question. What is the suggested for fps? I am using Blender 2.57 and have a few fps to choose from examples 30,25,24,60 as well as custom.

#7 05-20-2011 11:12 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

Hello Kirsten,
Would love to see you create a clip. I believe 24fps would be sufficient. I must ask though, how new to animation are you? Asking about fps indicates you may be fairly new. If so, I'd muchly recommend producing a good ball bounce and pendulum exercise before trying to tackle something like this. Animation Mentor students would find this type of exercise in clas two, after spending three hard months cementing the basics.

I have collected some resources together which you may find of good use. http://blog.11secondclub.com/p/bouncing … rence.html

If you have already done those exercises, then fantastic and I look forward to seeing what you produce. The exercise builds upon the principles and takes them up one level. Have fun!!

#8 05-20-2011 11:24 am

Kirstenw

The reason I ask is that I have done some animation for a game the company I work for was doing and it was suggested I work on 30fps.

Thanks for the link though, I will go have a look at them.

#9 05-20-2011 11:42 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

Cool, hope you took no offence with me asking the question.
Perhaps you could advice me. At the end of the project, i will be gathering everyones clips into premier and exporting at 24fps. If people made at 30 fps, how much of a difference would that make? If it makes a massive diffence I would make that a rule with the challenges.

#10 05-24-2011 3:39 pm

StefanLipsius
Celebrity
Karmojo: 63

woo. just saw this. Im definitely joining. Ive been looking for something to animate, and i can never seem to pick something and go to it.

as for the difference between 24 and 30.... it makes a difference for sure. if they do it at 30, and you render them all out at 24, they will seem much slower, and will make the timing look horrible.

#11 05-24-2011 3:47 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

I just thought if im piecing actually clips instead of frames it may not matter. But from now on, I'll provide a fps. This one will indeed be 24fps. Have fun and at the end I will be chasing clips, to join them together for the blog. The plan is to post them alongside interviews and tutorials, so your work will get exposure.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by thelittlepenguin84 (05-24-2011 3:54 pm)

#12 05-24-2011 5:23 pm

StefanLipsius
Celebrity

oh, actually, now that you mention it, if you use the actual clips, it might not affect it.... I cant really remember last time I tried that.

#13 05-25-2011 1:25 pm

merj

Hi all, I have been lurking for some time and decided to get in on the mini challenge. Im still blocking so it's not done, crits would helpful. Thanks

Mario

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23301198/boxjump014.JPG

Last edited by merj (05-27-2011 3:52 pm)

#14 05-25-2011 2:28 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

Hey Merj, few simple things to start. Not sure if you have a box at home, think safety first, but get a camera and act it out. Even if with an exercise like this.
few simple starting critiques:
1) The opening pose is twinning. Break it up. Keith Lango videos are a godsend about the subject. Watch them

Direct Link

but also your camera will give you some clues.
2) If the ball steps back. Pick the foot up. If he's pushing with ball of foot, just lift the heel. But act it out and think know how and why he is doing it.
3) you need to put some rotation in the hips.
4) Think about the rotation of the foot. Additionally, the drag in the toes.

Hope that helps

#15 05-25-2011 6:26 pm

merj

Thanks littlepenguin84, The hips rotation ! I didnt think to add it this early but it makes sense. Ive been doing bouncing balls and walk cycles forever so I thought it was time to try this. Thanks again.

Mario

#16 05-26-2011 9:24 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

cool, good luck!!!

#17 05-27-2011 2:01 pm

merj

Updated blocking today. crits again. link in above post

Thanks

Mario

Last edited by merj (05-27-2011 2:01 pm)

#18 05-27-2011 2:27 pm

StefanLipsius
Celebrity

Merj

Your anticipation needs some work. here is a paint over. the dots are the motion that the main body/ball should make. moves back then down and forward, continuing that motion upwards into the jump, with a bit of settle at the end. when the body is moving up into the jump, the back leg should move up with it. but don't make that back foot step forward. it should go from the back position to bring the knee up to help with the jump. Thats assuming you want him to step back first. if not, just get rid of that back step and have him go down then up.

also,   right now, he steps back, then steps forward into the starting pose, THEN he bends down for anticipation. you basically have two antics, effectively making the first one completely useless.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14662692/MerjDO.jpg

Here is something i did before, its not the best angle for the jump, but if you scrub it, you can see that motion i am talking about at the start.

Direct Link

also, something to watch for in the future, when he does step back into the original pose, the back leg goes forward, but just slightly behind the other foot. while watching from this angle, it makes it look like the front foot is sliding. its a posing issue. that you need to watch for.

You`re on the right track though. keep it up!

Last edited by StefanLipsius (05-27-2011 2:37 pm)

#19 05-27-2011 3:02 pm

merj

Thanks Stefan, I see the hips arc in yours !! i thought i was tracking mine well enuf with motion trail. I guess not. Better paint over the screen and remove the second anti. I did it myself and use 2 antis so used it as ref.

Thanks again

Mario

Last edited by merj (05-27-2011 3:50 pm)

#20 05-27-2011 4:38 pm

merj

forgot link to update. tracked  body,hips and ankles with screenmarker proggy smile

Direct Link

#21 05-27-2011 5:28 pm

StefanLipsius
Celebrity

alright, much better! 

new crits

- his back foot is moving up with the body. it shouldnt lift off the ground till its straight, as when he is on his back foot, he uses it to push off and sshift his weight to the front foot.

-make the box wider (towards the left of the screen), and make the back foot land a bit infront of the front foot, instead of behind it.

-The settle on the box needs some work too. heres another paint over. the figure eight at the end will give it a nice settle. right now, he jumps up, and his body doesnt really drop from the peak of teh jump. he peaks, his feet land, then he goes up. there is no impact.  you should go up, peak, then land and go down, and forward. then up and back, back down a little bit, not as much as the initial landing, then go back up to the final standing pose. hopefully that makes sense.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14662692/merjPO2.jpg

-also, watch the front foot as he goes onto the toe, before teh jump. its sliding back just a tad. Does that foot control have a ball roll? it looks like you are rotating the foot, then using the toe lift. ball roll would work better, if it has it. if not, just a slight adjustment and you got it

Keep at it. its lookin much better! Do you notice the huge difference and how much more natural it feels with the smooth motion?

#22 05-27-2011 9:25 pm

Victor
Celebrity
Karmojo: 66

Hey guys, I'm giving this one a try too:

Direct Link

Any comments or should I just keep working on it?

#23 05-27-2011 11:02 pm

KLaw
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 31

Hey guys,

It's my first post here, think what you're doing is great!  I just created this animation of a ninja jumping across a distance:

Direct Link

It's sort of from a box to box, is it close enough to count? I used some parkour jumping reference. If you have a chance, please let me know of things you think can be improved.

Also, when I get back tomorrow I'll give my two cents on your anim's smile 

Cheers!

p.s. I recommend the "Digital Tutors - 12 Principles of Animation in Maya" videos for a good basis of learning how to work with keyframing/function curves, they have a couple good examples of jump animations in this.

#24 05-27-2011 11:16 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

Hey KLaw it counts, and I would be honoured in posting it on the blog. Hoping as summer comes, people in universities etc will get involved and it will pick up speed. I'm looking forward to the development of the mini-challenges, interviews and tutorials on the blog. Already very excited about its beginnings!

And Victor, keep pushing buddy!!

#25 05-28-2011 1:29 am

merj

StefanLipsius wrote:

"Do you notice the huge difference and how much more natural it feels with the smooth motion?"

For sure Stefan smile This is why I got in on this challenge. Cause I knew it would be a challenge and you guys don't hold back with the constructive crits .I am really psyched now  !!

Mario

Board footer